So after answering a few questions about my felt Thanksgiving banner I decided to try my hand at a tutorial. Keeping my fingers crossed that this goes well!
What you will need:
6 - 9"x12" rectangles of green felt
2 - 9"x12" rectangles of cream felt
4-6 - 9"x12" rectangles (of any combination) red, brown, yellow, gold or orange felt
Red embroidery floss (I used 815)
Orange embroidery floss (921)
Green embroidery floss (3013)
Cut outs of leaves & "thanks" (see scanned images below)
Stitch Witchery
Step 1: Cut out a total of 6 leaves (2 of each pattern) onto your choice of red, brown, yellow, gold or orange felt.
Step 2: Cut out each letter onto the cream felt. Each rectangle will accommodate three letters.
Step 3: Combine leaves and letters to your liking. Step back and ooh and ahh over your handiwork thus far.Step 5: Add a running stitch outlining the edge of each leaf.
i.e. For a gold leaf I used the orange embroidery floss for the "vein" and red floss for the outline.
Step 6: Stitch Witch each letter to a leaf.Stitch Witch each leaf to a green rectangle.
Step 7: Iron the top part of the green rectangle down in preparation for sewing. (I used pins to hold my fold in place while I ironed)
Step 8: Sew fold close.
Step 9: Using a safety pin, thread the twine thru each green rectangle.

Step 10: Hang and enjoy!
Now, who wants one?
I'm giving away one THANKS banner!
(Residents of the United States only, please)
Leave a comment if you would like to be entered into the giveaway.
If you would like an extra entry, follow my blog AND leave a second comment saying you are either an old or new follower.
You do NOT need to have a blog to enter the giveaway. Just leave an e-mail in your comment so I have a way of reaching you if you are the lucky winner!
Giveaway will end on Columbus Day: Monday, Oct. 11th @ 9 PM EST.
Good luck!
Scanned leaves and letters to make your own banner:
PLEASE e-mail me if these images do not work...remember, this is my FIRST time attempting something like this!


















34 tweets and twitters:
I'm an OLD follower! ;)
That is such a cute idea... you are very talented, want to come to Erie and teach my YW how do make something? lol
Super cute!!!!!
(what does stitch witch mean?)
I'm also an OLD follower!
:-)
I would love to win! I have a big window that will be perfect for!!
Wow! I would love to win one of your thanks banners!! It is adorable!!!
I am also an OLD follower!
Okay, I don't know anything about following. So hopefully I did it right. Do I sound completely lame? Haha. I'm an old friend, but a new follower.
And I would love to win this and then when you are ready to give away free decorating advice, I want to win that, too!
I was going to ask you to do this- I am not a bit crafty but thought for just a minute that I could make this----please pick me!
PS- I will be in CT next weekend, Have any friends who need a family photo shoot? Happy to shoot your family for free if you could set up one before and after! It will be posted on my blog tomorrow-
PS- I am an old follower on here and FB!
I'm an old follower too. I'm not the crafty sort but I think this is adorable. Nice tutorial!
Ooooh you know I'm in.
I'd like to go on as a faithful rather than old follower.
Ooooh you know I'm in.
That would be way cool "thanks"
chrispaulacassieconner@yahoo.com
that should give you a clue as to who I am..... :-)
and you could say I am an OLD follower :-)
PN
I LOVE IT!!! I am definitely in for this giveaway!!!
And I also prefer not to say I am an "old" follower!! Hahaha, I like Andie's comment about being a faithful follower!!
Beautiful! I would love this!
I had to check to see if you am an actual follower of your blog or not. I think I've been reading your blog since before I knew what "following" was. It turns out I'm an "old" follower as well.
Pick Me, Pick Me! (lol)
I am an avid follower. I think you need to come decorate for me please and Thanks!
This is so nice for the upcoming Fall season!
Thanks,
karen
I do, I do... I would love one... would look great just about anywhere in the house! Fantastic job and tutorial! thanks for posting:)
Pick me! Pick me! I am an old follower and seldom commenter. That banner is just so dang cute!
This is really cute. I was wondering if you could tell me how big of felt rectangles you used? Thanks,
Shanda
stitchmama3@gmail.com
I would love to win. I am impressed with your handiwork. I am going to try and follow your blog which will make me a new follower.
I am an old follower of your blog!
And I WOULD LOVE this banner!! CJ's birthday (3rd) is ON thanksgiving this year. Daddy is deployed and was so excited that one day we were going to be able to celebrate CJ's birthday ON Thanksgiving. Instead, he will be away. I think the banner would be an awesome reminder as to all the things we DO have to be thankful for including his service to this country.
I am not quite clever enough to make it... Maybe I could, but... I sew like an idiot. LOL! Fingers crossed that I win! Then I can take CJ's pic in his personalized turkey shirt with an awesome banner for his birthday pics!!! Hubby has been gone 76 days... only about 300 more to go. Blech.
oh, and my "daily" blog for my hubby is private... if you want to be included, let me know! I can send you an email.
my email is
Ashsydkiley@aol.com
That is a awesome idea. Didn't know you were so crafty !!
I have checked out your blog several times, but can't say what kind of follower???? I have enjoyed it every time though! you have lots of great ideas!!!
Brandi and I have been following for a long time now. Thanks for the updates!
(Does this count as four entries?)
Ok I'm a NEW follower (maybe like a month or two) but I think I should win it for 3 reasons:
Reason #1: I'm like the only guy responding to this
#2: This would be a gift for my Mother..it would look great in her beautiful farm house in East Haddam (Mom's totally ROCK)
#3: JK and I have just become pals and I know that he'd be heart broken if I didn't win...and as a side note Kenners (in front of her cousin even) agreed that I was cool. For her to say that must mean soemthing
I tried posting to be joined in for the banner but I don't think it worked??? In anycase, count me in!!!
So super cute!! I hope you draw my name. I've been envisioning this banner downstairs in my house. :)
Post a Comment