Growing up I moved every two years or so. My dad was career Navy. I really enjoyed moving and making new friends and I wouldn't trade all that I experienced for the world. But.....the one thing I never had were roots. I was never in a place long enough to establish lasting relationships and long term friendships. I didn't have a best friend growing up (that changed in high school and praise be I still have her in my life!!) and I didn't know what it was like growing up with the same classmates and seeing each other move on in life and succeed.

Fast forward to 2010. I have lived in my current town for 8 1/2 years. This is the longest I've EVER lived in one place!! And I must admit something. I LOVE it and I have become quite ROOTED!! I didn't realize this had happened until I visited Rand's new middle school (in a neighboring town) a few months back and looked across the sea of new parents and realized I did not know a soul! It felt like a knife in my heart. It brought back feelings of being out of my comfort zone and putting myself out there so I could meet people and hopefully make friends. I then started thinking about my life today.
~When I run to the grocery store here in town I run into at least one person I know. Yesterday at the store I got to visit with 4 different ladies and I tell you it really makes grocery shopping a lot more enjoyable!
~When I go to the library the librarians know me by name. Do you know how nice that is? Well, I'll tell you, it's a joy!
~Every Memorial Day we go to our town's parade and camp out in front of my dentist's office (MY dentist office...when you're a Navy brat you don't HAVE a dentist...they change as often as you move!!!) and it is so nice to see so many people that I know.
~We have the world's best pediatrician and his office is a mile from our home. The thought of moving away from him makes me crumble!!
~I have an amazing hair guru who I just adore. I never knew how important it was to have a history with a great hair person! I still have vivid memories of my mom and I trying to speak in broken Italian at a hair salon...needless to say things did not go very well!
~Having my kids grow up living near their grandparents, auntie and cousins. I never knew what that was like.
This is certainly not a complete list and these things might sound simply silly to you but to me they are huge! I have actually stopped bugging my hubby to move...though I am still thinking Cork, Ireland sounds like a great place to live!! But for now I am so very content to stay here in our nest on the East Coast!





3 tweets and twitters:
it doesn't sound silly to me, at all.
I totally understand.
I think it sounds like a very comfortable, happy way to live a life.
We're still wondering where we'll end up planting our roots. A couple more years of grad school and then... somewhere!?!
I have lived in the same town for 31 years (minus a few years here and there when I was adjusting to divorced parents) I feel the SAME about my town. I love the traditions of farmer's market downtown every thurs night in summer, the parades, the festivals... I love my roots ;) I am so happy yours are deeply planted as well ;)
Post a Comment