I cannot believe I am old enough to have a daughter entering middle school in the fall! And for those of you who went to "junior high" like me....6th-8th grades is no longer called that! I was told by the girl's school principal that it "ages" me when I refer to those grades as junior high. Oh my. How times have changed! My children have learned how to "regroup" not "borrow and carry" and will go to "middle school" instead of "junior high"!
I was really apprehensive about sending Rand to our town's middle school. Well, let me back up...I have been apprehensive about public schools in general! I researched homeschooling for years before coming to the peaceful conclusion that I am not cut from the homeschooling cloth. How I wish I was! How I envy my friends who homeschool. So if I'm not homeschooling and do not want to send my children to public school....then what?
I started researching out Magnet schools. Before anyone jumps on me, yes, I know they are part of the public school system. But they give more options and concentrations than what is offered here in town.
Last fall Rand went away for 3 days to an overnight science camp and came back full of enthusiasm for digging up salamanders, hiking in the woods, identifying species, etc.
The middle school we found for Rand is focused on environmental science and located at the intersection of two rivers. They literally have an outdoor science lab!! When I went to visit the school I was blown away by the technology and all that they have to offer. I just KNEW this was the school for Rand.
Applications were due the beginning of February. I felt such a peace when I submitted hers. The lottery drawing was scheduled for mid-March. The second week of March brought such an attack of butterflies and anxiety as the drawing drew closer. What if she didn't get in? Where would she go? What would I do? Should I homeschool? Should I send her to a private school? Should I just cave in and send her to our town middle school? I was a ball of nerves!!
Two weeks ago I received a call from a friend who also applied to the same school. She had just received her son's acceptance letter in the mail. I was overjoyed for her but panicked for me! What if her son took Rand's spot? (Don't you just love the irrationality?!) I was on pins and needles for about 30 minutes waiting for our mail to be delivered.
In the end we received that beautiful acceptance letter and will attend the orientation for new students a week from today. Rand is thrilled. I am relieved and we are both grateful that we have a loving God who knows our desires and looks out for us!

5 tweets and twitters:
Congratulations!! I am so glad you found a school that fits her interests! I wish we had magnet schools out here. Our junior high (and they call it junior high here :) stinks. Luckily it is only 2 years and not 3.
Best of luck! The school sounds awesome!
Congratulations...i know what a comfort it must be to KNOW she is in the right spot. I have gone through similar emotions regarding public school, magnets, charters, private, etc...not middle school...just kindergarten!
I love it when everything falls into place like that. It was meant to be! Sounds like a great place for her and your family. I'm not a h.s. mom either - I wish I was but no.
And I had better stop calling it Jr. High too...I didn't even know I was dating myself like that!
yay congrats!!
I wish I could homeschool too but there is a reason I didnt go to school to become a teacher lol
wonderful picture!
Post a Comment