2.04.2009

A Shopping We Will Go

In my spare time I have been reading the Shopaholic series in anticipation of the upcoming movie release. The books are light-hearted, a quick read and I must admit there have been several times when I have laughed out loud at the crazy antics of one Rebecca Bloomwood.

There is a huge difference between Ms. Bloomwood and myself. I can become extremely self-conscious going into shops such as Nordstrom and Tiffany. I can't imagine being brave enough to go into a shop such as Barneys or Saks! Actually, I have been into Saks 5th Avenue and I felt like I was a fish out of water. I was so uncomfortable and must admit I did not enjoy myself one little bit!

Earlier this week I ran up to the mall and popped into MAC (new lipstick and lipliner), Origins (running low on foundation) and Aveda (hair product and I am thinking of switching to their skin care). I always have a fabulous time at the MAC counter...their employees are definitely unique! I'm in and out of Origins lickety-split but while I am in the Aveda shop I start to feel a little uncomfortable. I usually buy my hair product from Paris, my hair guru, so I have never spent much time inside the actual store. The sales associate is very pleasant (and to be honest has a whole bunch of acne scars on her face) but still I start to feel my confidence oozing out all around me. There are just certain scenarios when my self-esteem takes an abrupt nose dive.

How I wish I had Becky Bloomwood's style confidence WITHOUT her shopping bills!

post signature

12 tweets and twitters:

Shell in your Pocket said...

I have worn MAC since it came out in highschool. I love it. I have tried many other things but I ALWAYS ALWAYS go back to MAC!
-sandy toe

Marla said...

I always got a big laugh out of that series...looking forward to the movie!

Anonymous said...

I am never comfortable in public. I have a serious problem with always comparing myself to others. I am self concious in restaurants and clothing stores. So, I totally feel your pain. I wonder what the cure for this is.

Ruby Red Slippers said...

I am counting down the days until that movie! I loved the series-read it a while ago-and also laughed outloud several times! CAN'T WAIT!!!

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

You should never EVER feel uncomfortable in Nordies! Maybe its because of where I live, but it is a place where EVERYONE should feel comfortable and the sales associates are trained to treat everyone equally. There are stories here of "bag ladies" who have gone in to try on shoes...and it turns out they actually were Nordies employees who were assigned to test the system and make sure everyone is treated well!

~ Sarah

Tara said...

Oh my gosh....i swear i feel the same way....like i have a big X on my back and a sign on my forehead that says "she has no business being here....she's a fake" LOL! I do and then almost get defensive and angry LOL!! SO bad i know...i'm going to have to read those books...sounds fun!

Our Complete Family said...

Hi Rae! I have been blogland absent for a bit but just read your posts and caught up with you!
I, too, love love love MAC lipstick and lipliner and also their ProLash mascara. Good stuff!
Hope you have a fantastic Thurs and Fri and then the weekend is upon us...yea!
Hugs, Les

Kristen said...

I cannot wait to see this movie! I hate shopping at those places too - I walk in feeling like I am super cute and put together and then I start feeling frumpier by the second. The salespeople at our Nordies here are SO RUDE. It's miserable. Thus the glory of online shopping!!!

Travelin'Oma said...

I followed you from Stie's blog and have stalked you for a while. I love what I see. I have awarded you the Kreative Blogger award. Visit me at www.travelinoma.blogspot.com to see what the fuss is all about. Congratulations!

April said...

That movie looks so good...I must see it ASAP!!! I think we, as women, can all relate to the feelings of inadequacy you describe. It's hard not to compare yourself to someone else.

I've never tried MAC makeup...I've always used Elizabeth Arden. I may just have to look into it! Happy Thursday!

Kacey said...

Love MAC & Aveda - there is nothing better! The Shopoholic serises is so funny. I read the forst one a few years ago and I think I am going to start them again in preparation for the movie too. So much fun.

Christie said...

Here's the secret to shopping at stores like that: The people who work there? They're the same as the cashiers at walmart. They work RETAIL. Expensive retail, but retail all the same.

That helped me get over my fear that I wasn't good enough to shop at those places.