1.27.2011

My Paperwhite Tale

For several years I have wanted to try my hand at forcing paperwhite bulbs.
They're so pretty and I love the idea of watching something grow in the stark winter days, weeks, months...
I bought a Smith & Hawken kit from Target, followed the directions, crossed my fingers and hoped for the best.
And it worked! I was so excited to see those initial, beautiful green shoots! And then when I saw the flower buds I was beside myself!! I started thinking how next year I am going to force gobs of bulbs! I'll be surrounded by living plants all winter long...
...and then I caught a whiff of the paperwhite flower essence. Its fragrance. Its perfume. It stinks....at least to everyone in my family! I was SO disappointed! I thought they were supposed to smell spring-y and wonderful! So here I am loving the look of my paperwhites but resort to plugging my nose when I walk past them.

Do you force bulbs during the winter?
What are your favorites? What other bulbs should I try?

post signature

5 tweets and twitters:

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Ah yes, the joy of paperwhites! LOL!

I force some every year and every year I'm reminded of how awful they smell! Sometimes the smell is overwhelming! In previous years I've forced hyacinths and they smell awful as well (in my opinion).

I'm thinking of starting some wheat grass for some early spring green color.

Bob & Marilee Neff said...

Oh, yes...We did that once...yep, you're right...they don't smell very good...We have been watching the weather reports..it looks like you are getting blasted once again. Take Care..

Grandma Marilee in Arizona

April said...

Hi Rae!
So happy you stopped by today! No, I've never tried forcing bulbs in the wintertime, but have often wondered how it would go. I'm surprised that the paperwhites STINK...I had no idea! What a bummer!

Tricia said...

Look how TALL those are! I didn't know they stink either. I bought the amaryllis bulbs on clearance at Target and I've been forcing them. The stems are up but no flower yet!

Merand said...

Too bad they smell so bad because they look so pretty! I've got to get some bulbs for the house now and get a little spring into my life.