11.06.2009

A Simpler Time

Lately I have been yearning to live back in the "olden days". I have been watching episodes of Little House on the Prairie and baking fresh home made wheat bread. Last week I had a last minute invitation from Rand's teacher to chaperone a field trip to Old Sturbridge Village. Thanks to a good friend agreeing to take JK for me I was able to go and enjoy stepping back in time for the day.
Travel back with me as we cross the covered bridge...
I would love to have a little farm with a few sheep...
...and a steer, at least I think that's what it is! OK, so maybe I'm not much of a farmer!
We can press apples picked from our own orchard into yummy cider...
Maybe we would live in a white house like this...
...though I am partial to this yellow cape cod style house.
The stagecoach would arrive into town bearing loved ones who live far away...
I would walk into town to sell my chicken's freshly laid eggs at the general store...
...and of course trade/buy some things I may need like these shoes or fabric! (A far cry from Target!)
This talented craftsman would make bowls and dishes that my family needs to enjoy a hearty homemade supper.

Though picturesque and idealistic in my mind's eye I do know one thing I could never give up. My indoor plumbing and water heater! Ah, yes...I do love my bubble baths at night, especially on a cold fall or winter evening. I'm thinking I may need to find a balance. A little of then with a dash of now.

post signature

7 tweets and twitters:

heather said...

Those are some pretty inviting pictures, but I am SO glad that I'm alive NOW and not then. What would I do without dishwashers, electricity, and -like you say- bubblebaths?

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

I am thankful for all the modern conveniences that we have-without even realizing what we have. However, our family tries to get back to the "simpler life" (I don't think it was a simple or an easy life) every now and then. We garden, can our harvest, cook from scratch as much as possible, chop wood to heat our home (woodstove), make our own soap (but with extra fancy oils that wouldn't have been available 50 yrs ago) and my husband also hunts (provides most of our meat for entire year).

nanamoo said...

Me too!
and btw...I loved your pictures!

Jo said...

I love visiting OSV ~ I'm sure it was beautiful during this time of year. I agree that life was simple back then but so hard at the same time.

Congrats on your husband's great accomplishment!

Jo

Farmgirl Paints said...

Love all the pictures. That white house was my favorite...with a few sheep thrown in. I wouldn't want to give up my phone,computer, or microwave or dvr...ha!! Probably not meant to live back then:)

Tara said...

I thought I was the only one... This post is totally me. Not sure what it is that's creating that "old" feeling, but the simple life is one I wish I could trade in for. I do love the indoor plumbing, don't get me wrong ;o) but simplicity would be wonderful.

Melanee said...

great photos. What kind of camera do you use? It's interesting that these pictures look a LOT like the Northwest. Fun to imagine you watching "Little House" and baking bread. My girls love Little House.