5.16.2009

Riding Around in My Automobile

Today the kiddos and I zig-zagged all over our State attending parties and other social galas. Doesn't that sound grand? JK had a birthday party to attend at 11 AM and Kenners had a party to attend at 1 PM. She also had a Primary class party at 10:30 this morning that we were unable to squeeze into our busy schedule. She was so disappointed to miss out but as luck would have it we ran into her Primary teacher and family while dining out this evening. She was thrilled when they asked if she could sit with them and eat. So all's well that ends well!

But I digress...back to driving around. In my family I am the primary driver. There are many reasons for this. The biggest reason being that DK has this horrible habit of falling asleep while driving. Not good. The second reason I like to do the bulk of the driving is my lead foot. I can't stand driving at the speed limit and DK sets the cruise right at 65 mph. No, that will never do.

So here's my question....when you are driving out and about with your spouse who does the driving? You? The love of your life? Do you trade off? Is it a source of contention?

Tomorrow morning we're headed to yet another part of the state. If a blue Honda Odyssey happens to streak past you...give a little toot on your horn and a wave of your hand!

post signature

16 tweets and twitters:

Unknown said...

It is just better for our marriage if I drive. He is a terrible cell phone talking, foot to the floor, stomp on the brakes, unobservant driver.

Anonymous said...

Chris does most of the driving. I think it physically hurts him if he isn't behind the wheel!! :-)
PN

Natalie said...

Jared does our driving. BUT, still a source of contention. I don't care much for his slamming on the breaks, and he doesn't care for my "backseat driving." (even though... when I keep my mouth shut, HE GETS LOST!!!)

Lisa said...

I am so happy to NOT be driving, there's no way I'd complain. As it happens, Shaun is a very good driver. I think its very funny to be in car when the couple is fighting about the driver's actions though.

Boy, older kids sure do make for busy lives!

Farmgirl Paints said...

My husband usually drives when we are together. I like him taking control and it's nice to sit back and relax. But recently we got in a fender bender. He was driving and now he's really nervous to back out of parking spaces. So I should probably take over for a bit:)

Unknown said...

When we are together The Mister always drives. I don't think there is any reason, it's just the way its always been....but then again I do have this led foot problem that sometimes can make him crazy....but I don't think that's it! ;)

Kristen said...

If we are going anywhere as a family - Dan does the driving. He gets car sick really easily so it's better that way. And he is the one with the lead foot now - it used to be me but since the kids came I'm a lot slower! No source on contention - just the unspoken way of how we do it!

heather said...

Him. Always.

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

My husband does the bulk of the driving...but I get nervous because when he is tired, his eyes start drifting shut. EEK!! I'm always watching him out of the corner of my eye and sometimes I make him pull over and let me drive.

~ Sarah

RoverHaus said...

Guys who have to drive are the same guys who have to hold the remote to the TV...they need to feel in control.

My wife has had more than her share of little mishaps. We both agreed that driving life is more enjoyable (and more affordable) when I drive.

But she is a whiz of a doctor!

Tara said...

Mr. Brown always drives.... ♥ i like it that way.... i drive more than i want during the day...so it's a nice break. ♥

Elise said...

Hey Rae,
I just got a little caught up with you!! Glad your Mom loves to rearrange...wow, God sure had His Hand all over that situation.
I much prefer for my husband to drive...that way I can nap!!
Elise

Merand said...

Rand does the driving when we're all together for the most part. This isn't always good because I tend to be a backseat driver and that can go very badly. But I also have the job of being the navigator because when Rand is driving and I'm there, he can never remember how to get anywhere. I mean, I even have to remind him of how to get to the grocery store. He just shuts down on directions when someone else is there. Sometimes I wonder how he manages on his own!

Nancy said...

My husband does most of the driving. But when I end up picking him up from school or work, I'm the driver and he mostly just complains that I drive too fast (I got my first ever speeding ticket a couple weeks ago).

Anonymous said...

We usually wind up taking seperate cars because the hubby usually has to head out to work. Sometimes when the stars fall in place, we find ourselves in the same car and we have a whoever gets to the wheel first gets to drive rule. The reason being is the driver controls the music. I can be real sneaky, I usually ask him to take out the trash or get something off a shelf and I slip right into the driver seat.

Em said...

Aaron drives... he is a very good {SLOW} driver unless someone cuts in front of him or otherwise threatens his manhood... then watch out. Since Brody, I have found the car to be a very sleepy place so I close my eyes if we go longer than say... 2 miles ;)