3.03.2009

Week in Review and Lots More

It is shocking to me that I have let a week go by without updating my blog! This is one for the records, that's for sure! Thank you for the sweet comments asking me where the heck I've been and hoping all is well! What has been happening in the lives of the East Coast Evans Family? Hold on to your hats...here we go!

This past weekend we had the pleasure of watching Peter (my brother) participate in the Special Olympic Winter Games. He was part of the speed racing team from his school. He earned a gold and silver medal. Unfortunately, he is now sick, the poor guy!! The highlight for my kiddos was swimming in the indoor swimming pool! They had a blast!

I have been up to my eyeballs with Girl Scout cookies! Why did I agree to be the cookie mom when I'm already the troop leader?! I'm picking up yet more cases of cookies this afternoon and will spend this Saturday with the troop selling them. Cookies, anyone?

Last Thursday I had the opportunity to head to Boston with three ladies from church. It was a wonderful time to visit with one another but more importantly it was a time for me to leave the day-to-day regimen behind and take time to think, ponder and pray. 

photo via Flickr

After much research, prayer, sweat and tears over the past three years, DK and I have decided to start homeschooling Rand, our oldest, next year. I have a meeting with the school principal this Thursday. I am resigning as our PTO President effective the end of the school year. I'm sad on one hand yet excited for this new opportunity on the other. Now we have to break the news to Rand!

Speaking of school, we had a snow day yesterday due to another Nor'easter blowing through our state. Kenners and I had the perfect time to make a puppet for a 6-week Reading Rocks program. Along with the first book report she needed to make a puppet of one of the book's characters. At the beginning of the school year the PTO brought in a master puppeteer. Kenners learned lots of different techniques for puppet making and was thrilled to put her new found knowledge to work. After finishing the puppet we decided to make these rock necklaces for Kenners' teacher and the girls in her class. They were super fun and easy to make. Perfect for a snowy or rainy afternoon!

Lastly, I just had to relay a conversation I had with some moms at dance class this morning. We were talking about babysitters and one of the moms mentioned how a babysitter let her daughter (who is in 1st grade) see I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry. I was so shocked to hear this that I blurted out, "That was such a raunchy movie!!" She turned to me and said, "I really liked that movie but you're right it was not appropriate for a kid to watch. How do you explain to a 6 year old what a homosexual is?"  That movie wasn't even appropriate for DK and I to watch. We Netflixed it but turned it off about 30 minutes into the film. I left the conversation feeling like I just do not belong with many of the moms I encounter. Which is not a bad thing. In fact I really am okay with that!

post signature

13 tweets and twitters:

larkswing said...

I never found the group of moms that I did a lot with or fit in with. I was ok with and still am, but sometimes I do wish I could have experienced what I have read on the web of other moms. Kids growing up together, play dates for kids and moms. But, it has all turned out just fine.

Glad you had a busy good week!

duchess said...

You have been busy.
As for the fitting in with other moms, I like being on my own & doing my own thing too. That way you stay focused on what you need to for your family & don't get caught up in all the "keeping up".
Praying for you on the homeschool front - have fun with all the curriculum choices out there.

Screwed Up Texan said...

I totally dont fit in with other moms. Usually, I hang out with the dads b/c they are less snarky and judgemental than the moms can be. Not all moms, but a lot in my circles.

Pedaling said...

pass the cookies, please.

and i relish in not fitting in.

Traci said...

just got my cookies delivered today! you are such a busy mom for sure!!!
so, may i ask why you are going to home school just your oldest daughter?
good luck with your meeting and the home schooling too, you will do great!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I'm glad you're back! I've missed you.

Okay, you are CRAZY for agreeing to be troop leader and cookie mom. I've been depositing cookie money for our cookie mom and it's been about to drive me insane. I can't imagine doing both.

I often feel like a misfit with other moms I know. I have some great friends with similar values but sometimes I feel very misunderstood among other moms from my kids' school.

Homeschooling? I'm curious what led you to that decision. I think you'll do a fantastic job, but if you're willing to share more, I'd love to hear it.

Our Complete Family said...

Man Rae, you guys have been busy!
I hope the rest of this week is a good one for you...sounds like you need some sunshiney good laughs and times!!!
Hey, a big congrats to your brother on his medals~ that is an awesome accomplishment!
I hope Rand is o.k. with the homeschooling change. I'm sure it will all work out and be a good thing if that is where your heart has been led.
Many hugs to you and yours, Les

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

WOW! You have been busy!

Good luck with homeschooling. I'm also curious what brought you to that decision. I have several friends who homeschool. Good luck!

heather said...

Do you know that we have not seen so much as ONE girl scout out here in Utah. Not have we been able to buy our usual three or four boxes of cookies, because there are just no girl scouts.

Hubby was venting about this on our Wal-Mart run this weekend. He blamed these Mormons out here who don't involve their kids in anything that isn't church sponsored.

I'm not sure if that's a fair statement, or if its his forced girl scout cookie depravation speaking, but I can tell you this.

If we ever are fortunate enough to have a daughter, all my money is on him seriously promoting the girl scout organization. :)

Anonymous said...

I made this decision a few years back, it was difficult, however with the amount you are involved like I was, this will be easier. School has become more and more like daycare rather than education, little involvement by parents and so with all the hours we were putting in this seemed easier and we have seen a real turn around in our child. Also look into your resources, their is lots of groups, school district classes all for free and of course discounts! Anyhow I really stressed out over it but now realize it was the best decision for us and now plan to homeschool my other two. You will like the parents they are very nice.

Merand said...

I've been wondering where you were?? :) Glad to have you back and excited about your news for schooling Rand next year. I know you guys are going to do a great job. And I know you're an awesome PTO president but one less thing on your plate is probably a good thing too!

Tara said...

I can say that i've had so many run-ins w/ "moms" and realized there wasn't a place for me in their group...but i'm okay w/ it you know...

As for the Boston temple...had no idea how BEAUTIFUL it was....would love to visit that one!

And you know what....have no second thoughts or regrets w/ your new adventures w/ your homeschooling and daughter. YOU know what you need to do...what an amazing opportunity for you both! Embrace it!

Nancy said...

umm, peanut butter patties please. :)

We're thinking that with our move next year, we may break free of the virtual/homeschool program we're in and come up with most of it on our own. What are your plans? Will you buy a curriculum or create one?