Obviously it's not ALL children but it sure is a vast majority! My mother heart is breaking right now. One of my poor chick-a-dee's was picked (and flicked) on today at school. Why? Why must kids (okay, let's face it adults too) prey on their weaker peers?
I remember in third grade there was this girl, Tabitha (WOW! I can't believe I remembered her name...it just rolled off my fingertips). She was a little on the nerdy side with wild frizzy hair. Anyway, whenever she would stand up from her desk, walk across the room or in any other way touch the floor everyone would have to lift their shoes off the floor or else they would catch her cooties. Yes, as a grown up it sounds a bit silly but back then...I'm sure it was devastating to her! I never called her names or made fun of her BUT I did go along with the whole cooty thing and never stood up in her defense. Sad. I'm as guilty as the others.
So this brings me back to today. The here and now. MY children. No one, and I mean no one, can be mean to them. Sniff, sniff! It's hard being a mama!





34 tweets and twitters:
I think that if I had children this would be the hardest issue for me. I was picked on a lot in school. I had this talk with my niece this past summer. She is picked on a lot too. I just told her to let it roll. Years from now this stuff isn't going to matter. It hurts right now. But the laugh will be on them. I have ran into a few of the "pickers" as the years have gone on. Lets just say I was very happy when I walked away. They didn't turn out so well and I did. Hang in there!
First it was my glasses kids picked on, then my braces, then lack of boobs... It makes you stronger... and I am HOT now LOL *rolling my eyes* but it HURT very bad as a child and I do hurt for my children as it happens to them... :( (side note: for all the numbers on the countdown... I used mostly stickers that I already had... the 7 was a house number from Lowes)
Can't we just hover over them at all times and protect them from everything!? Darn! Guess you'll have to go beat up the mean kid! Don't mess with mama's chick-a-dees!
I hate it too. Kids are mean. I was teased myself growing up and I was a very emotional child. My stepdaughters to be are also teased and its not right at all. These kids are the most grateful and thankful kids I know...and they deserve to be treated better. And your kids look like they are grateful kids as well..Im sorry she was teased.
So sorry to hear about this. Kids are rotten to those who are different. It really stinks. I hope she is not letting the situation get her down. Hope it gets better!
My mother's heart is breaking for your mother's heart. There is no pain like it in all the world than when your kids get picked on. Both of my girls have had that happen to them at one point or another. I had it happen to me, as well. It is never an easy situation to deal with. Kids can be so cruel! I never know if it comes from a lack of parental guidance, poor self-esteem, or simply the desire to bully someone around. Whatever the case, it is wrong and it does hurt...A LOT!!
I've always taken pride in teaching my daughters to never make fun of or mistreat anyone because there may come a day when the same thing happens to them. You "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." The Golden Rule is timeless.
So sorry for what happened!
Hey, that same girl went to school with me! And we were mean, too. Sad, but true.
But at this very moment my girls aren't being picked on, just snubbed. People change and it is still HARD. I posted about it, too. There are lots and lots of tears over friends around here lately.
I wish you the best. I'm sorry. I hope it gets better!
I never want to beat anyone up so bad as when they pick on my kid. It's like the mama tiger in me comes out and wants to lash back out at them. Good thing I never have, huh?
Kids are so mean sometimes it is hard to understand! I am sorry this had to happen!
Poor Mommy Rae! This post breaks my heart too.
It is hard...there is a time to be your child's advocate...and then there is the time to let them stick up for themselves and deal with it.
I have been there...probaly will be again...kids are mean...I always tell them "Kindness starts with you"
-Sandy Toes
I feel bad for your kids! I hate that! My seven year old has had an irritating, dominering boy in his class for three years...all the boys go along with what he says/does. We've been telling our son that no one should be picked on, so stand up for your friends if needed. I got a call from another mom yesterday that my son refused to play a game that would have left her son out. Three other boys refused because of my son, too! I couldn't believe he did it! I was so proud of him-he is my shy one, and I knew how hard it must have been...I told him it only takes a time or two, and then the bully isn't the one in charge. (He said he was scared, but knew it was the right thing to do because we had been praying about it...)
Surround your little one with prayer-someone will come to their aid, or they will have the power of God to stand up for themselves...
The social, emotional issues of parenting are so difficult. I hate when I can't fix it or make it all better.
Imagine me frowning in dismay! Do you think our mama hearts break worse than our children's when they're hurting? I do not look forward to the day when I have to comfort Evie because of someone else's mistreatment and cruelty.
Kids are mean and it seems to me like girls are meaner than boys. But then again, I only had girls!
I'm sorry. Childhood is tough.
That stinks! I can't stand it when kids are mean to others. It just breaks my heart.
Kid's really are mean.
I love the new look of your blog.
You had a makeover! Looks good.
It's so hard to send our kids out into the world. So sad when people don't treat them like we do. NOT looking forward to that stage.
I think you remembered Tabitha's name because even as a kid you knew it was wrong. Tabitha too will never forget it. I'm not sure of why children are cruel. I went to an event for my son when he was in eigth grade and a teacher came up to me and told me all the teachers were talking about my son in the lounge that day. He had stood up for a girl that someone made fun of. I was in absolute shock because my son is on the shy side. When I asked him for details he acted like it was no big deal and he couldn't remember. I don't think as a mother I was ever more proud than when that teacher shared that with me.
I hope this was a one time thing for your child. Kids can be so different from one day to the next.
That's not fun... and it's amazing what you can remember about kids being mean!
I LOVE your new layout! It's perfect! Now YOU have to teach ME a thing or two!!
Love the new look of your blog!!! I think now a days kids are even worse than when we were young. My problems didn't start until middle school. So sorry that yours has to go through it too :(
Who is it?! Tell me and I'll come beat 'em up. xP
Oh the hurty parts of parenting!
LOVE the makeover!
Rae...I know ...my daugther (3rd grade) was in tears yesterday because a little boy...who is friends with her brother....called her names. I wanted to tell my son...to beat him up...but of course, didn't because we want them to treat others with respect and dignity..the mother in me just ached for her. Hopefully, he will encourage his "friend' to do the same with others (dignity and respect), particularly with his sister?! Kids can be so mean.
Oh...that's so sad. :( Kids can be soooo mean. I had to learn that the hard way in elementary school.
I do love the look of your blog! Very pretty!
Hi, I just discovered your blog. It must be the guilt...cause I still remember "Mary Clark" I felt so bad, I tried befriending her, especially since she lived a few doors down. I'd pass her house everyday. The funny thing is, I have very little recall after becoming her friend...except for making hamburgers for a snack in her kitchen one afternoon. I'd like to think she is somewhere living a very happy life!
Sweet Wishes!
Sara
P.S. Stop by for a visit and bring your friends. I've got a Parisian Give Away (valued at $200+) going on at my blog.
Love the new look!
Hi Rae,
I'm a blogging buddy of Liz and Sandy Toes.
I can relate to this one. I was never picked on in school. However, when our oldest daughter went into 7th/8th grade, I thought at that time that I could litereally get myself in trouble if a couple of girls did just one more thing to my Morgan. I truly believe that kids/adults can be mean and hurt others because they are hurting on the inside somewhere, ya know? One of the things that I say all the time and truly believe is that " hurting people hurt people." I'm sorry about your chick-a-dee's being picked on.
I enjoyed reading your post today.
Enjoy the rest of your day!
OH Rae!
I am so sorry! Doesn't it just make you want to retaliate in a child like way! I just want to say, "Come on Rae, let's go show those mean girls that can't mess with YOUR girl!"
Of course, this is totally the wrong way to go about it, but still, it's what I want to do when in this situation!
Hang in there!
I'm so sorry, Rae. I went through this with my son when he started school this year. There was a little boy who teased him on the playground. It was horrible -- not just for him -- but (like you described) for me. I almost wish they were picking on me because that would be much less painful than what a mother feels when her child is hurt in some way like that. Hang in there!
oh, bless all of your little hearts. I'm so sorry for all of you. I am sure as a mommy you will make it all better...even if it means finding the kid and having a little word to two with him/her. hugs to you!
AND I LOVE the new layout! WONDERFUL!
I know what you mean about the little meanies picking on your kids. Makes my blood boil. I was picked on some too, my name, the way I dressed. Even had a way ugly boy with bad teeth have the nerve to say I had buck teeth. I had a gap, but no bucking going on here. Kids are mean.
Elise
It is hard...but so worth it. You just keep teaching them what you know and they'll be able to wade through all their trials and become better people. A mama's heart does break...and i've gone through some of my own as well, but it's comforting to know there are ways to teach our children through times like this....you're doing a great job! Just look at their sweet faces! Hugs from one mama to another!
Post a Comment