10.28.2008

Sorry, Charlie!

I have a quick moment while JK is napping and before I have to go and pick Rand up from school. I must confess since my  computer went in for repairs I haven't opened Google Reader. I'm kind of afraid to do so...I will probably wait until I have my computer back! Please know I will catch up with your blogs but it will probably not be before next week!

I can't believe we are a week from Election Day. I have been listening to all of the Election coverage and am on pins and needles for the final outcome. Over the weekend I was thinking how the two major parties, Democrats and Republicans, are pitted against each other and was wondering if the two parties ever unite to work together or fight for the common good.

While pondering that thought I drove past a building here in town that has been part of many heated debates and fights. This building was bought by an owner of a sleazy adult store chain and it was his intent to bring such smut into our town. Normally most people would not think twice about this type of establishment and it wouldn't be cause for a battle. But in this case the building is located near a residential area and people came out in droves to show their disapproval. Fortunately, our former mayor had written an SOB (Sexually Oriented Business) ordinance that did not allow zoning of such establishments within a certain parameter of residential areas and our then Town Council adopted this ordinance. Over the past two years our town has been fighting the owner of the  building and his lawyers who said it was not an SOB but it was a regular retail store. In April this case was heard in our State Supreme Court. The smut shop was not allowed to open because of the town's existing ordinance and the Court deeming the chain an adult store.

The whole town was united in the effort, in the fight. Democrats alongside Republicans alongside Independents. Party lines did not matter. What mattered was what was best for our town. I am happy to report the building is up for sale. The owner who stated at the beginning of this debacle, "We usually see some opposition to us coming but once we are permitted the use and we start our construction we have only seen happy eager customers greeting our constuction workers and staff member with questions as to when will we finally open our doors. The opposition stops once we receive the permit....(The name of my town) will never win and we will open there." Sorry, Charlie, but no such luck!

During this time when there is so much negativity about the different parties I really felt the need to share this particular experience with you. It was a good reminder to myself as well. There are times when people are able to see beyond party lines and take a stand for the things that matter.

post signature

19 tweets and twitters:

April said...

So well said and I agree with you 100%!! Hurry back to blogland!!

The Berry's Patch said...

Amen sister!

Tausha said...

I couldn't agree with you more. I know that when 9/11 happened, there was a differnt feeling in our country. One of comraderie and a united front. I really wish that this elecion was more like that and less like a mud sliging contest. Nov 4th can't come quick enough. Glad that your town didn't allow such smut!!
We have a theater here in town that is owned by a very respected "mormon". The new show about the two people who make a p**no (i didn't want you to get hits that you didn't want)is being debated about whether or not it will be banned by his many theaters. I really hope so, there are a lot of people united on this issue. Hope that the right thing happens.

Tara said...

If only we could all come together on some of the most important issues...it's nice to hear that somewhere on some issues there has been some unity. Thanks for sharing!! Thanks for dropping by my bloggy giveaway!! & i found you on twitter too!

Liza said...

Chalk one up for the citizens, that is awesome!

Anonymous said...

That's great that your community came together like that. Places like that need not exist!

Pedaling said...

thanks for sharing what's on your mind.
you are right.

Shell in your Pocket said...

Great post!! I want this over too but I am nervous!
-sandy toes

Our Complete Family said...

Oh, that would be great if all could just unite. I see a lot of uniting in the military life and just wish it was like this all over!!! Then all of our hearts would be happy! So girl, how ya doin' without your computer? Are you in major withdrawals or are you o.k.? I was stopping by to 'boo' you, but forgot you're out of commision right now. So, you've been boo-ed, but I'm not sure you can get the pic from my post and post it. I was thinking of you though! Happy Tuesday~ Les

Ruby Red Slippers said...

Great story-I love when people come together!

Carolina Mama said...

We'll miss you!

It's a bad week for it, it's the Bloggy Giveaway Carnival.... if you get back online come over and register for my Giveaways. :)

Carolina Mama said...

p.s. glad you all worked so hard in a worthy effort! And won!

Jenni said...

Hi Rae~
I completely agree with you on this! Sometimes all of the bickering between different parties grows so wearisome, and I know that despite our differences, there has to be something we can do to learn to work together! What a fantastic story about how people did just that! :)

Aren't computer problems the worst? I hope that everything will get straightened out for you! Oh, by the way, I LOVE your new blog design! I love the clock on the side, where it says "time in the east" and also your banner is so sweet! All of the things on your sidebar are so fun! :)

I hope you are having a good week, minus the computer problems of course! :)

heather said...

Good for the people in your town to stand up to it!!
I love the not in my backyard attitude!

Daphine said...

Loved this post! You preach it girl! I'm in total agreement with you on this!! Thanks for taking the time out to post this especially since you're still without your own computer.

Looking forward to reading more from you soon!

B. said...

I am on pins and needles too!!!

You usually do not see the democrats and republicans get together on many issues because their ideas on how to accomplish certain things are so opposite!

kari and kijsa said...

Have a safe and happy Halloween!
smiles,
kari & kijsa

duchess said...

Somehow (with lots of prayer) we will survive no matter what the outcome. :)
In the meantime - hope you have a great Halloween.

The Berry's Patch said...

I'm having withdrawals! When will you come back? Seriously, do I need to mail you a computer?