I've been tagged by April @ Straight from the Heart. This is a real fun tag for me as I love to read books! I had six books stacked together on my shelf behind the couch so I grabbed the book on top of the pile, Amish Grace. I am reading this book for my church's book club.
Here are the rules:
Grab the nearest book. Open the book to page 56. Find the fifth sentence. Post the text of the next two to five sentences in your journal/blog along with these instructions. Don't dig for your favorite book, the cool book, or the intellectual one: pick the CLOSEST. Tag five other people to do the same.
Amish Grace by Donald B. Kraybill, Steven M. Nolt and David L. Weaver-Zercher
"Together these themes built on a much longer tradition of public tribute to Amish life. The Amish have long captivated outsiders with their tight-knit communities and resistance to modern technologies, prompting some to wonder if the Amish have something good the English are missing. In the aftermath of the Nickel Mines shooting, this tune of amazement played in a slightly different key. Not only did the Amish have something good that others lacked, but in many people's eyes the Amish were good-or at least better than the vast majority of their American neighbors."Over the past two days I have spent 8 hours on the telephone (with countless more to come over the next day and a half). I'm beginning to think the Amish are on to something with their "resistance to modern technologies"! I'm ready to throw my phone out the window! But of course there are some modern items I could never live without:
washer/dryer
dishwasher
blowdryer and flat iron...I'm quite scary looking without these tools!
computer...duh!
TV and DVR
central air conditioning and heating
vacuum cleaner...I know, I'm sick and use mine everyday!
stove/oven...we would all starve if I had to cook over an open fire
electricity...I always burn my thumb lighting candles using matches
water heating tank...or whatever it's called
Oops, the phone's ringing...should I answer it or throw it out the window?




13 tweets and twitters:
Definitely throw it out the window. That's more adventurous. =]
me I would throw it out but then I would be wanting back!
Ooo, I remember back in Italy when you burned your thumb (finger?) at church lighting the candles. I had forgotten about that! You never have been good with matches since then!
Chuck the phone!
Just turn the ringer off and answer it when you can...No modern technology=no blog...I like reading what you write!!!
I'd throw it out the window and then run and find it after it stopped ringing! LOL
And I couldn't live without the modern things!
I agree....I'm thinking I'm doing something all wrong....The Amish are on to something...I think I'm going to get this book. Looks like a good read!
I agree with everyone else. I think how nice it would be with no tv, no computer(I'd miss all my virtual friends), no phone. I would get tons done.
Elise
I say, go for it...give that phone of yours a good toss right out the window!!! Oh, wouldn't life be so much simpler if we didn't have that thing ringing all day long? No TV, no computer...now that might be tough. Can you imagine how peaceful it would be, though??? Just don't take my air conditioning and heating from me!!!
Oh, I must do this. Right after I clean up and find a book. You have such a beautiful family and your writing cracks me up!
Connie
I just finished that book. We are also reading it for book club. Good luck with that whole phone thing :)
Rae,
I'm honored to know a part of your story. I'm so sorry for your losses. I am thankful for your beautiful daughter and for her life. God is good.
This is very weird... I was just thinking the other day how sorry I felt for third world countries, natives living in the jungles... and I hadn't even think of the Amish... BUT... I thought how sad they don't have modern technology... BUT LATELY every time I hear the news... I think these people are soooooo LUCKY... they get to live in a wonder bubble... they don't have to worry about how the market is going and whether they will have enough money to buy a new pair of manolos.
I like this TAG... I think I will have to play along.
just think of all the things that you got done while you were on the phone. I know that you multi tasked while talking. If it would have been a man, it would have been a total waste, but my guess is you did 3 loads of laundry, fixed dinner and loaded the dishwasher!
What would we do without all of our modern conveniences? I know that it would really suck if I had to "sweep" my carpet instead of vacuuming.
Post a Comment