10.08.2008

Housework Got Ya Down?

"Work in that household never ceased, and it called for skill and patience, qualities Kit did not seem to possess. There was meat to be chopped, and vegetables to prepare for the mid-day meal. The pewter mugs had to be scoured with reeds and fine sand. There was a great kettle of soap boiling over a fire just behind the house, and all day long Judith and her mother took turns stirring it while she readied the soap barrel. Kit tried to keep a gingerly distance from the kettle. The strong fumes of lye stung her eyelids and stirring the heavy mass tired her arms and shoulders....

...Surely there must come a moment when all the tasks would be done and some brief leisure earned, yet always a new chore loomed ahead. A shearing had brought a veritable mountain of gray wool to be washed and bleached and dyed. There was water to draw and linen to scrub and, everlastingly, the endless rows of vegetables to weed and hoe."

~The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare

I don't think I'll complain today about having to run my vacuum, use my washer and dryer, empty the dishwasher or drive to the grocery store for fresh vegetables.

All is in perspective, at least for today!

26 tweets and twitters:

Merand said...

You're so right! Thanks for the perspective!

Carry Grace said...

I'm feeling a little better about all I need to do today!

Unknown said...

You are right now I really need to get some housework done!

The Berry's Patch said...

You are so right. I complain constantly about doing laundry. Can you imagine doing laundry back then? Oh their poor hands! :-)

diane said...

I can't imagine. Emptying the dishwasher doesn't seem so bad now.

Scrapper Mom said...

Clean up. Clean up. Everybody do your part!! ha.

I left you a treat over at my place. Go check it out.

Em said...

That makes me want to go run the dishwasher just knowing I don't have to use reeds and sand!

April said...

Looks like we have it pretty good, wouldn't you say? I will try hard not to utter a complaint today about the keeping of my household. On thing's for sure...I would never make a pioneer woman!!

Rachel Berry said...

Okay now I have guilt for complaining about even doing my dishes via la' dishwasher. Off to work I go!

heather said...

Thanks for the prospective. I really should get to those chores, eh?

Shell in your Pocket said...

What a great post...loved the words!
But, I do have a hate love relationship with my vacuum cleaner!
-Sandy Toes

Christy said...

PBS had a special a handful of years ago called Frontier House. That is one thing that stayed with me from watching that series - the endless chores. Perspective is a blessing, isn't it?!

Karin said...

Check out http://azpetersons.blogspot.com/ for some really cute spider cupecakes. She also has a cute Halloween craft. Alissa is my niece (Kevin's brother's daughter).

Jeni said...

I know I was not made for those pioneer days that's for sure!
Thanks for sharing this thought.
And thanks for stopping by my blog. Good luck if you make count down calendar...

Ruby Red Slippers said...

maybe there is something wrong with me-I love, love to clean my house!!! However, I like the modern things to help me along...I stay in this century to clean it...Laundry doesn't count-Now that is horrible no matter the century!!!

Unknown said...

Amen! I will wash laundry tomorrow with new eyes!

Michelle@Life with Three said...

That was actually just the perpective I needed as I get ready to clean the kitchen (again). It might be the fifth time I've had to clean the kitchen today, but at least I don't have piles of wool that need to be washed, bleached and dried! ;)

...for all eternity said...

smile :) I don't feel so stressed now!

Jenni said...

Suddenly my typical day is looking pretty easy! :) I need to be more thankful for things like my washing machine, dryer, dishwasher...which reminds me, I have some laundry I need to throw in the wash. Now suddenly that doesn't seem so terrible! :)

Have a great night! It's almost the weekend! :)

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

Great stuff! LOVE IT!
Thanks for the lesson!

Elise said...

Great post!! Makes me feel like trash for ever complaining...
Yeah, I thought that Chinese stuff was a tad freaky-maybe I should trash those comments and put my verification back on??
Elise

Liz Harrell said...

Oh. My. Gosh. I LOVE that book!!!! I read the covers off that thing when I was in middle school. Ok fine, I still read the covers off it. :)

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

I really like this excerpt. It is charming, even though it makes me think of all the chores I don't have to do! Now I will go fold my laundry that has been washed and dried by a machine...sigh!
Carrie

Anonymous said...

i WISH i as at home today, running my vacuum, doing laundry, changing sheets and going to the grocery...because i work full time those things all take up my weekends :(

Sandy said...

Hi Rae,
Yah - I think we have it pretty easy. Can't complain ...

Happy Weekend!

B. said...

amen sister