Once upon a time, long, long ago, a little girl named Rae watched The Wizard of Oz. (I was about 5 years old) This movie changed the course of my life from that moment on. That horrid green faced witch would haunt me the rest of my life.
To this day, regardless of how hot it may be, I have to sleep with the covers pulled up around my neck. If the covers have slipped down I startle awake with the Wicked Witch of the West swooping down at me. TO THIS DAY!!
Today, at lunch time, JK and I quickly stopped into McD's to pick up a happy meal. Lo and behold what do I see? Madame Alexander's Wizard of Oz Dolls! Ack! Tell me, is this or is this not a scary looking doll? Is it just me? Is there anyone else out there who can relate?
As a side note, when the broadway musical, Wicked became a phenomenon I decided to read the book written by Gregory Maguire. (I always try to read the book or research the history before going to see a play, musical, movie or what not.) BIG MISTAKE! The book was horrid!!! I do NOT recommend reading it and thankfully the play is NOTHING like the book!




29 tweets and twitters:
MY MIL saved a bunch of the madame alexander dolls for Mere from the last time they had them at Mc Donalds. They are one of her favorite things to play with...I am excited to see they are available again...just in time for our weekend roadtrip with a required McD's stop! But I am with you on the witch...a bit creepy!
I totally agree on the doll being scary. I'll skip! Ditto on the book (I told you before you even started). It was so awful I still haven't checked out the musical, even knowing that they are completely different!
Wow, that doll is pretty scary looking!! It's funny you mentioned the whole thing about the Wizard of Oz. When my daughter, Brittany, was about 2 or 3, we sat down with her to watch the movie. She did fine until the part came when the Tin Man was not able to move and he said to Dorothy, "Oil me!" She completely freaked out and started bawling. We had to turn the movie off immediately. Scared her half to death! :)
The original "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" still creeps me out!
Yea I'd say she's a little freaky looking. Watcher in the Woods scares me to this day.
Thats so funny my sister was so scared of the witch but every year when Wizard of Oz came on she had to watch it and spent the next week sleeping with me. Go check out my blog I left you a surprise!
thy are giving that away at McDonald's?!?! Scary!
I so enjoy reading your blog! I, too, was permanently scarred by the Wizard of Oz! What were our parents thinking?!
I have to admit, they had those dolls last year at McDonalds and I was obsessed with collecting the series for my daughter. Going a far as visiting different McD's to get them and also bidding on ebay as well!
I will have to admit- The Wicked Witch of the West is probably my fave doll in the collection, sorry!
I do adore the movie, guess the witch didn't get me too bad!
It's funny how things change. Movies today would never have such scary characters in them for a young audience.
Heck, even parenting has changed. I never told my kids there was a boogie man or that there are ghosts or anything remotely scary.
Life is scary enough, lol...don't need to add to it!
Bella :)
I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog too!!!!!!
Call me crazy,but I think that doll is kinda cute!
My little one didn't care for the "ugly doll" ahe gave it back and opted for a batman toy!
i think she is a horrid looking doll. That movie scared me as well. I got freaked out by the flying monkies-they still scare me! Who thinks of stuff like that. I never liked the witch either, come to think of it-I never liked the munchkins either!
I just never really liked the show! Now, you are not alone!
Yep~ I agree~ she's freaking looking for a kids meal toy! I can relate~ after watching a movie as a preteen I now am scared of those dolls with the heads that look like clowns. Ewww! Hoping you get a good nights rest tonight!
I have never liked the Wizard of Oz...too scary! I plan to never let my girls see it, even though its culture.
She's definitely cuter than the witch in the movie, but she does have a rather disturbing facial expression. I never liked that movie either.
I read the book too. It was like a train wreck, horrifying but you can't turn away. It should be rated R at least.
Iwas scared to see the play until friends gave it the thumbs up.
Funny thing, I went there on Monday and we ended up with Glenda the Good Witch. They are the creepiest looking things!
That is funny! I just saw the dolls the other day at McDonalds and thought the same thing. My daughter's went right for the trash! Poor you! I can understand a childhood fear following you around...mine was ET...and he was cute but he still scared me!
Carrie
She is scary! but none the less....we too are collecting the dolls from McD's I love Madame Alexander dolls!
I completely understand about the Wizard of Oz thing. I literally cannot even think of that movie without getting goosebumps and that terrible fear I felt as a child~ no joke! I am so glad to know I am not the only one who feels this way. Now tell me why when my children were overnight at their grandparents', THEY watched and loved the movie, but I can't handle it? Hum...
And I agree, I am going no where near that scary witch doll! :)
Have a wonderful day! :)
Hi! I just linked to your blog through a comment. Love it! So glad to have found you and look forward to being a regular visitor!
Have a great day...
My little kiddo (7) wants to go see wicked. Do you think she'll like it? She got one of those dolls some time ago. I didn't know they have them again. She adores that movie. She's weird though. You are obviously perfectly normal!
with you on this one! scary to me! can't believe it!
Ok, so I finally pulled out some Halloween decor (if I had a camera, I'd post a pic...sigh) and one of them is a witch. Her eye flash red and she waves her arms back and forth while singing "Hot, Hot, Hot." Last year the kids LOVED it. They would love to push the button. Not this year, SH is HORRIFIED by the ugly little thing. He physically shakes when he looks at it and takes the long way around the couch with his eyes on her the whole time to make sure she doesn't 'get' him. Poor thing, but I am still getting a kick out of his reaction too much to put her away just yet.
As if the covers could keep the boogie monster away, but I do it too!!
Elise
I went to McDonald's today and got a kid's meal just to get the toy. =D
They gave me the lion though; it's really creepy looking. =|
I didnt know MCD's had the dolls! And I am currently reading Wicked! And it is one crazy book! Not like the movie and Im sure the play is nothing like it as well! It is not a book for children i can say!!
Post a Comment