9.30.2008

I Call Foul!!

Dear Tom,

I must thank you. Thank you for introducing my 2 1/2 year old son to the wonderful world of profanity. I had no idea that today would be that special day when he would hear the "b" word as well as the "f" bomb for the first time! How wonderful of you to share your sophisticated and classy vocabulary with him.

How lucky for us the store manager was at the next register! Oh wait. You didn't want her to be part of the conversation? I just assumed you wouldn't mind my sharing what you said with her! I know you were talking to the bag boy while ringing up my groceries but I thought it would be a magnificent idea to include the manager in the conversation. Did I cause issues for you? I'm so sorry. Maybe next time you can keep your mouth shut and wait until your break to bad-mouth your boss with expletives. Or then again, hopefully you won't have another break time at this employer.

Sincerely,
One Ticked off Mom Who is Sick and Tired of Hearing Foul Language from Store Employees Who are on the Clock

P.S. You can most assuredly know that I will be submitting my complaint in writing to the manager. I just know you would love this memory to be part of your HR file!

27 tweets and twitters:

Unknown said...

Amen the samething happend to us last night at a local fast food place I told the girl I think we are going somewhere else to eat. And my kids are 12 and 15 so I don't blame you for being ticked off.

Tricia said...

Oh man. Good for you. Yesterday I was ticked off because someone was listening to their messages on SPEAKER PHONE at a restaurant. What has happened to common decency?

April said...

You definitely get a "You Go Girl!" from me!! I so proud of you for standing up for what you know is right!! Great job!! I would have reacted in the same exact way!! Foul language is something I just have zero tolerance for.

Erica said...

Oooooo, how frustrating. I'm right there with you in the complaining to the manager! I have no patience for bad language and have no problems letting people know it. When did it become okay for people to use four letter words at work or around children or in general for that matter? It only goes to show how stupid and uneducated you are if you cannot come up with any other words to express yourself! Get a thesaurus and learn get a new vocabulary!

Natalie said...

Way To Go, Rae!!! I hate that... and they are totally clueless. Most of the time, they don't even acknowledge that you're standing right there! I need to be more vocal about it... hey, maybe I WILL!!!

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

Right on sister, right on! GOOD FOR YOU! Sorry Tommy Boy! LOL Sucks to be you today!

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! Yes, yes quite agree with you on this! I was having my hair highlighted. There was a girl around the age of 13 sitting in the next chair. Two of the hair dressers where talking about sex! About how one ladies night went the night before! While she's trimming the girl's hair! Her mother walked over with a tight expression and asked the woman to stop. For the remaining time that she was trimming she was also glaring but I think it serves her right! I was horrified. I know that 13 isn't exactly 2 1/2 but its still indecent and shouldn't happen in the work place! Ever in front of customers! Good for you!!

Nicole said...

Good for you! You should be able to go to the store without having to worry about what your children are going to hear from the employees.

Jan T. said...

Perfecto! Love it! Couldn't have said it better! Let us know what happens!

Pedaling said...

what a great example of how to perfectly handle the situation!

heather said...

Good for you! I am always so annoyed when I have to hear words like that, especially when there are small children around.

The Berry's Patch said...

Bad language is a pet peeve of mine. One of many anyway. Not that I don't have a potty mouth every now and then but not around young kids. That's bad!

Mimi Sue said...

Thanks for coming by today. It's so nice to meet you. I'll be back to look around when I have a minute. Mimi

Insight, Insanity, Imagination said...

I know you were so mad! But you did the right thing to tell his manager. Three cheers for you!

KIM D said...

I am SOOO glad you did this post. After working as a retail manager for years, I thought I would come off all high & mighty. Thank you, thank you, thank you for telling the manager too!! I felt that I was the only one with a bone to pick about this issue. My other peeve is when someone agrees to FINALLY apply for the instore CC & the employee yells to their co-worker "I got one!" I just wish, just once, that poor soul being suckered into high interest rates would say, "well, if your going to be like that--NEVER MIND!"

Kristen said...

I love your post and I love that you spoke up about it. Cursing is so ugly and just shows what a small vocabulary he must have. Good for you for reminding him that little ears hear EVERYTHING!

Lisa said...

I want to hear what happens after you send the letter to the manager. I would have been furious! I am bugged when the people behind counters are chatting and not helping me-hello I'm here! grrr.

Twice as Nice said...

Good for you!! I love it :o)

The Farmer's Wife said...

Way to go!! We must stand strong when things like this happen.

Jenni said...

Good for you! You had the guts to speak up for what you know is right! I know how you feel~ I just cringe whenever I hear people say words like that. With all of the wonderful words available, I must ask why those ones are so necessary!

I hope you have a wonderful, foul free Wednesday! :)

Liz Harrell said...

Yikes. It always amazes me how freely people curse around children. Good for you for being mad.

Merand said...

Lovely...Sounds like you had a great time at the grocery store. Ick!

Our Complete Family said...

Hip Hip Hooray for Mommies like you! We have had that happen before, too, and it's just horrible! Thank heavens Bryce still thinks 'stupid' and 'shutup' are cuss words and doesn't use them like some classmates do. Well, in my mind even they are since they're not allowed in our home! I really hope he keeps that mentality for a long time! But back to your incident~ good for you for taking a stand hun! Happy Wednesday! Les

Ruby Red Slippers said...

Thank you!! I am the other mom who is always telling people to watch their mouth in front of my kids! If I wanted them to say it, I would be saying it as I tell you off... My teenage nephew was kind enough to share the N___ word with my (at the time) 4 and 2 year olds. It was perfect- it was at Thanksgiving, and my kids asked what is a __ because J- was saying that. His mom about choked on her turkey-and excused herself to the football room to wash out that potty mouth. GOOD FOR YOU!!!

Elise said...

What?!?! I felt a little guilty reading this, knowing at times what I let slip in front of my kids. I would never say it in front of anyone else's though, and never talk ugly at work. Wow...
It drives me nuts how some old folks will say the N word around my kids. My kids are friends with people who aren't lily-white like us and I don't need that word coming up. Not to mention its just plain rude and ignorant.
Elise

...for all eternity said...

Perhaps you remember my post a while ago. I was included in a conversation between the checker and bag girl that I didn't want to be a part of. Needless to say my 3 year old got to hear about the baggers pregnant girlfriend not being able to hold her alchol. me=not happy. I wish I would have submitted to the manager as well.

...for all eternity said...

Sorry, I ment to say "bag boy". If it was a bag girl with a prego girlfriend that would have been even worse to explain!