So I guess my little bald headed cutie is not such a little baby anymore. Or at least that's what he told me while we were at Target this morning.
A friend of ours had her second baby yesterday afternoon and we were looking for a special little gift. While going up and down the baby aisles we came across big boy underwear.
"Oooh," I said excitedly, "Let's pick out some big boy underwear for you to wear!"
"NO!" was the emphatic reply.
"Would you like cars? Trains? Spider-man? Handy Manny? Plain?"
"NO!" was the answer to all choices given. And then JK stands up and yells, "DIAPERS! DIAPERS!!"
Call me slow but I don't think he's onboard the "waste in the potty" train. Because I do not want him to get all Freud on me and blame me for any future deep-seeded psychological issues I decided not to push the issue. We kept looking for my friend's new baby and found ourselves in the diaper aisle. Before I could stop myself I held up a package of newborn Swaddlers and said, "Look at the little teeny baby on these diapers. Only tiny babies wear diapers; not big boys."
This is what JK had to say about that, "I a BIG baby and you a BIG mommy."
What would Freud say about that?
According to JK diapers are part of being a "big baby" but naps are definitely not. "I no nap!!!!!!"
Why? WHY do you have to give up your naps at 2 1/2? When I was in kindergarten I would come home and take a nap in the afternoon! I come from a family who loves to sleep. I STILL need my naps! This is something I will never outgrow (obviously). Why couldn't he take after me? Why did he have to take after DK's sleep dysfunctional family who have the funkiest sleep habits?
I am not happy. And I'm tired. Not to mention I'm ruining my child by letting him wear diapers and stay up to watch cartoons instead of take a nap.




21 tweets and twitters:
You are a riot! And no, you're not ruining him hun, just nurturing where he is ready to be at this stage in his sweet little life! I haven't met any starting school in diapers so don't worry about it hun! Now, the nap thing? I would be a wreck with no nap times! Oh man. Wish I had a cure for that one for you. Sending good nap vibes your way today in hopes that it helps!!! Hugs, Les
First of all, please forgive me, but I just have to say it....Bless your heart! Hey, it's a southern thing! Anyhow, I remember all too well when my girls gave up their naps. Their nap time was about the only opportunity during the day when I had a little "me time", which meant, of course, doing the laundry, cleaning the house, etc. You know the drill. It was a sad, sad day, but somehow you survive! I still miss them taking naps and they're 16 and 11! Ha!
Your little boy will come out of those diapers eventually, but in his own due time. He'll let you know when he's ready to make that transition. He sure is a cutie pie!! :)
I love to sleep too thank goodness both my kids love to sleep too! Sorry I hope it gets better!
You are totally ruining him! Get him potty trained now! After that, make him nap! Cause that's gonna happen, right? Maybe not but at least he is a boy who knows what he wants! Gotta love that. At least as his aunt, I do! Good luck!!!!!!
So funny!!! And congrats to Elinor! (booo hooo sniff sniff). :)
Funny that Savanna and I had a similar conversation last week. She prefers still wearing diapers & she will fetch a clean one whenever she "feels" it is needed. Luckily she still naps--like every 3 days, does that count?
So I don't want to rub it in, but my 34 month old still naps - BUT, has NOTHING to do with the potty! We've tried all sorts of angles, but he doesn't want to hear it. His sister (16 months) will probably be trained before he is! *sigh*) Oh well... at least you know you aren't alone! :)
I hated potty training. I thank my lucky stars that's all done now. Poor you!
Thanks for answering my question, so now I can remove martha of my list of people to call for leather help.
I will love to do the swap, I'll cook and you come and clean my sofas,love it! Because I hate to clean.....It needs to be done , but still hate it.
Once again thanks a bunch I'll try the pledge!
Well, even though he doesn't nap or go potty on the big boy potty, he sure is cute. It's not like he'll go to high school in diapers. Promise! :-)
No nap doesn't mean quiet time can't be enforced.
And best of luck on the journey to big boy underwear!
Oh, sorry you lost your nap time. I'm sure your days look a little different now. Hopefully he's not up with you at 5AM!
Congrats to Eleanor, and your little one is precious! Jackie
I hear you sister!
MH has more energy than DH and I combined.
I have no idea where she gets it all.
And yet, somehow, every time I do get a nice nap out of her, I convince myself that it is worth it to keep trying.
Trying to show her that napping is wonderful, and there will be some day where I need to drag her little butt out of bed!
As for the potty training - I know you want it, but he's still on the early side. Don't forget - you've had girls up until now. I've heard (and know from friends who have been there) that boys take much longer.
Let him be your baby - before long you'll be wondering where that little guy went!
HUGS!
We love sleep. It all goes so quickly just enjoy.
If you think you are ruining your child I would hate to think of what I am doing to mine. My little boy, Jackson, wasn't potty trained until around 31/2 years old, and that was because the church nursery sent home a note saying it was about time he move on up.
Oh, and my children pretty much gave up naps somewhere between 2-3 years. Boo-hoo...Anytime I dare to take a nap I never know what I might awake to-a boy covered in Balmex or a girl with jacked-up bangs!!
Feel for you,
Elise
Oh, your little feller is so cute!!
Too funny! My family also loves to nap, there is something wrong with that???? haha.
I have an Award for you on my blog. Please stop by when you get a chance to pick it up. Congratulations!!!
Have a wonderful day,
Tam
My little guy is now a hulk of a firefighter. And what my pediatrician told me was true - they won't wear diapers anymore when peer pressure kicks in. So relax. Boys have a different pace than girls. Slower developmentally for awhile. Thanks for stopping by my blog.
Love it! Of course, I wouldn't be loving it so much if I was in your shoes either but... he'll be just fine. Evie is so not interested in the potty either and I'm torn about pushing the issue or not. Plus, a few cartoons never hurt anyone, especially if it helps you get a little rest so that you can be normal, happy, and helpful to the rest of the family when they get home. Hang in there!
Oh you are too cute and funny! Love the story of the big baby boy who doesn't want to leave the big baby boy diapers! too cute!
I bet you are tired! It is SO hard giving up that nap time, and mine were older than JK is, so I feel for you! There is just something wonderful about the house all still and quiet, smack dab in the middle of the day like that! :) I am going to pray that he isn't done nap-taking for you, because a mom of a two year old NEEDS nap time desperately! :)
Post a Comment