Kenners, my 7 year old, has the sweetest smile.
The sweetest little voice.
The sweetest disposition. But......

Kenners has a wild and funky side!
She LOVES skulls and cross bones. She has them on her shoes. She has them on her messenger bag. She has them on her clothes. She has them on her notebooks & folders. And as you can see she now has them on her ears. When she saw these earrings she SqUealED with excitement.
I bought them. DK HATES them. Rand HATES them. Most of my family and friends HATE them...
So, tell me....what do you think? Would you have bought these earrings for your little girl? Trust me...you won't hurt my feelings...I can take it!





29 tweets and twitters:
I think they're very cute and funkalicious!
i love those earrings..and if my little girl (who's 3 at the moment) had her ears pierced,I would have bought them INSTANTLY.
good buy!
I almost hate to say this..for the fact that the other two liked them...but not for me. I wouldn't wear them,neither would my daughters, nor would my granddaughters! Sorry!
Ok, I admit it, I would not have bought them. I can't stand all the skull stuff that is out there now.
Of course I'm also in complete denial that my little princess will grow up and exit the phase where I get to choose everything she wears. I love that she's 4.5 and still has me pick out her clothes everyday. Love it!
~ Sarah
looks like Kenners is starting her "rebelious" stage early. Maybe she'll grow out of it sooner too. I'm not a huge fan of "punk" looks, including skull and crossbones, but if she likes it and it makes her happy, then that's what matters. :)
oh and I like the new picture of you and DK. I LOVE your green silky shirt! Where did you find it?
I probably wouldn't have bought them. But it would be highly unlikely that my daughter would have asked for them. She's very girly.
I like that you let your daughter express herself though!
Love the new pic of you and DK.
As for the earrings...I would not have 'refused' them, cause you only get so many "no's", you know, pick your battles, but I probably would have Madison pay for them.
Are you kidding? If my daughter would wear something NOT pink, frilly, and froofy? I'd buy her a pair in every color, skeleton included.
Personally though? I like 'em. I enjoy a good rocker chick!
Here's what I love about the whole situation....I love that she has an independent, different taste then most 7 yr. olds. I love that she likes what she likes and isn't afraid to wear what she likes.
Nope.
And I teach 2nd grade and she has pretty much the same taste as many other 7 year olds...she is wearing them because her friends do too.
Having said all that, a couple of years ago when I needed/wanted a new life vest, I tried a bunch on and came home with what I thought was the perfect one. My then 10 year old daughter said, "I can't believe you bought a life vest with a skull and cross bones on it." I never saw it before I bought it, but sure enough, on the back shoulder was a black on black design with a skull and crossbones, and I did not return it.
What I am learning as I raise my children is to never say never, for one thing. The other is that we have to take each situation as it comes, and weigh it with every other factor. From your description of your daughter's personality, it doesn't sound like she'll be joining the goths anytime soon!
I wouldn't have bought them either, but that's just me. I'm all for "picking" my battles, but sometimes there's still a line that she (my daughter) just can't cross. Just be careful because sometimes too much expression early on can lead to things later you may "really" not like.
And I hope I didn't hurt your feelings.
Heck with buying them for my daughter...I'd purchase them for myself! I LOVE the "punk" attire. Just for the record--guitars DO NOT count as cross bones :) Is it any different than buying JK pirate stuff??
I just took my kids shopping for school clothes. Everything I bought had a skulls on it. It's the "look" right now.
You sound like such a good mom, let her pick some funky stuff to wear. You know where to draw the line. ;-)
Have to say I would not have purchased them for every day wear. Maybe for dress up. Definitely wouldn't allow them to be worn at church or school. I'm all for free expression, but first impressions are made whether we like it or not by how we appear. Parenting isn't easy these days.
We are not fans of the skull/bones around here. But I think it is funny to see her cute little smile and then see those earrings. Just don't start dressing her in all black. ;)
Interesting comments from everyone! I probably wouldn't buy them for Evie since I personally don't like them but then again they aren't demonic. After all, we do have skulls under our skin. Ashes to ashes...
On the other hand, I need new ear buds for my ipod since the ones that came with it are too big for my dainty little ears. :) My first pick, because they come in many sizes, are these ear buds called Skull Candy but I haven't bought them yet because the name and skull motif creep me out. Go figure!
Hi Rae,
Interesting comments here. Did you get my emails yesterday? I'm having problems with my email bouncing.
Brandee :-)
I would just like to add one more comment. I have a friend who is really involved in the LDS church and loves to wear the "skull look". She is a beautiful lady who loves God dearly. I would never think she is a a devil worshiper because of what she wears. Nor would I think less of a person for wearing a skull. Judging someone on first impressions is the worst mistake one can make. I've always taught my children that it's what is in your heart that counts.
YUP! I would have bought them. You should see some of the earrings we have bought! LOL!
I figure... get it out of the way now right?!?! maybe they wont be in to it later?
I would totally buy them! If I could find them here and they were in 14k gold, Allie would have them too. They are earrings for pity sake! Now if it was a t-shirt that was morally offensive or suggestive, not so much. But earrings, come on, you bet she could have them! No big deal.
Love,
Your liberal conservative sister!
I wouldn't have pegged her as a skull & crossbone chick --- however, I think the earings and anything else that's not permament is absolutely fine. It's defferent -- but that's okay. Unfortunately Jenna decided to permanently attach hers :-(
I love them so I would definately buy them. :)
I do not see the big deal, but then again, I am not legalistic. My mom indulged my hippie look in high school and said I would grow out of it. I did. For the most part. It's what is in her heart that matters. You should get a pair, too!!
Elise
Seems like the 7/8 year olds around us are Hannah Montanna junkies....I guess we're a little sheltered in UT. I was surprised to see (nanamoo) the 2nd grade teacher say that skulls & crossbones are the trend....haven't seen it here! I'm soooo tired of Hannah Montana! I have an 8yr. old (Kenna) and I might just welcome a skull or too!:)
they are cute- yes, i'd have bought them for sure!
When I was that age, I was wearing BIG and BOLD earrings ... lol What's funny now is I'm not such a huge earring fan anymore. I don't mind the skulls and crossbones if it's cool lookin, but I do draw the line on certain things. (just don't ask me what those are right now. lol) I would get it on clothes, bags, shoes, papers, etc - but somehow, I'm thinking I just don't dig the earrings. lol
I know this is an old post, but I would have bought them as well. My 10 year old loves skulls, she has quite a few things with them. My 7 year old is still pretty girly even though she does have a couple pink skull items. That is her big sis influence though.
Kids need to express themselves, good for you for buying them! It is harmless fun :)
Post a Comment