Well, we made it to the Big Apple without any hiccups along the way. We stayed at The Hampton Inn – JFK. In order to get to the hotel we had to drive through this neighborhood that looked like it came straight off the set of My Big Fat Greek Wedding! It was wild! The hotel was excellent – the staff, the room (I didn’t even wear my shower shoes!!!!!), the breakfast and service.
We took a cab from the hotel to Jamaica Station where we caught the LIRR to Penn Station. From Penn we grabbed the subway to Times Square and we had dinner at Bubba Gump’s. This was our first dining experience at Bubba’s and I have to say…I wasn’t overly impressed. The food was just okay.

We then headed to Rockefeller Center so Rand could go to Nintendo World while Kenners went to American Girl Place. At 6:58 PM we arrived at AGP to be informed by the guard that they were closed. What? You close at 7 PM!?!? Isn’t this the city that never sleeps? I NEVER would have expected them to be closed any earlier than 9:00! Poor Kenners. Fortunately she has been oodles of other times and this wasn’t our first trip! But still…kind of disappointing.
You can definitely pick out the difference between true New Yorkers and those of us who are just visiting. First, they do not have cameras around their necks (notice the placement of Rand’s camera). Second, they all have umbrellas and iPods. I DESPISE toting around an umbrella but let me tell you, that’s the way it is done in the city.
We didn’t make it the Statue of Liberty or to the Museum of Natural History. Shoot, I didn’t even make it to the Met Museum Store before it closed! There are definitely more things to do than time to do them in when you go to New York! I’m planning on coming back down in the fall BUT I am not taking any chick-a-dee’s with me and I will not be going to go into the city. Instead, I am headed to the Pottery Barn Outlet. Now we’re talking!


The kid's meals came in these fun containers.
Our smoothie was free with a coupon I printed out ahead of time.
The decor of the restaurant was festive and fun with quotes and props from the movie.
We then headed to Rockefeller Center so Rand could go to Nintendo World while Kenners went to American Girl Place. At 6:58 PM we arrived at AGP to be informed by the guard that they were closed. What? You close at 7 PM!?!? Isn’t this the city that never sleeps? I NEVER would have expected them to be closed any earlier than 9:00! Poor Kenners. Fortunately she has been oodles of other times and this wasn’t our first trip! But still…kind of disappointing.
I just have to quickly tell you about the sweetest, shortest, older gentleman I met on the Subway. It was CROWDED and I was holding JK and my bag and keeping an eye on the girls as we held on to one of the poles. He hops up and gives me his seat. I felt so bad taking it from him but it was one of those times that I would have offended him if I had not accepted his generosity. He kept bobbing his head at us and watching JK. So sweet. So kind.
You can definitely pick out the difference between true New Yorkers and those of us who are just visiting. First, they do not have cameras around their necks (notice the placement of Rand’s camera). Second, they all have umbrellas and iPods. I DESPISE toting around an umbrella but let me tell you, that’s the way it is done in the city.
We didn’t make it the Statue of Liberty or to the Museum of Natural History. Shoot, I didn’t even make it to the Met Museum Store before it closed! There are definitely more things to do than time to do them in when you go to New York! I’m planning on coming back down in the fall BUT I am not taking any chick-a-dee’s with me and I will not be going to go into the city. Instead, I am headed to the Pottery Barn Outlet. Now we’re talking!








4 tweets and twitters:
Sounds like you packed a lot in, in a short amount of time. Too bad Kenners missed out...I was always amazed by how early stores closed in Chicago too. The mall here stays open later than the Miracle Mile shops! So much for city living.
"Schreeeeeech!" Hold everything. Pottery Barn outlet! How do you feel about lugging a pregnant woman along?
We went to the Museum of Natural History last year but got there so late that we missed most of it (and entered through a side entrance so we didn't even see the parts that were in the movie Night At the Museum). This year we want to go to the Metropolitan Museum - but we'll have to plan to leave early - we were trying to get the cheaper train fare, but then there is no time to do those things.
I had no idea about the Pottery Barn Outlet! Thanks for the info, I will be looking into that too!
Post a Comment