7.29.2008

Bubbles, Stars, Shells & Help Wanted

This past weekend DK and I sat down to watch The Bourne Ultimatum. I like the Bourne series well enough but I have to be doing something while I watch them. So I gathered up my materials to make a few of these:

I found the most amazing tutorial for these bubble magnets at Brassy Apple. Megan is so talented and I love all the fabrics she uses! Go on over and take a look see!

I finally have gotten around to hanging this fun pottery sea star in my downstairs "beach" laundry/bath room. Rand picked it out when we were on vacation the other week. I am trying to teach the girls to pick out lasting souvenirs instead of cheap, chintzy crap.


I also wanted to show you this cute little shell bowl and tiny green sea urchin I bought in Port Angeles. Each time I am slugging through laundry I can think about the wonderful, care-free time we had on vacation.


To finish up, I have a question for you: How would you hang this carpet on the wall? Any great engineering suggestions you might have would be most appreciated!

18 tweets and twitters:

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

I LOVE THESE! TOO FREAKING CUTE!
YOU ARE SO TALENTED! DID I MENTION I LOVE THEM!
I think you should have a blog contest and give some away! :-) I'll enter to try to win them! :-)

Anonymous said...

I love these things--- so beautiful!!! All perfect for the summer months.

I also love the idea of teaching the girls to pick meaningful souvenirs-- no more gas station 'state' pins for me!!! :)

Nicole said...

I love those magnets, that would be the cutest gift for a school teacher or friend. Don't you love how kids love to waste money on crapy souvenirs? Hey, I'm liking the comment above about a giveaway, what a great idea :)

Scrapper Mom said...

I just found your blog and enjoyed reading. Thought I would let you know that I added you to my blog roll today so I could keep up!!

Feel free to stop by sometime if you would like!

Insight, Insanity, Imagination said...

that's a carpet? I love it! And those magnet's are too cute. *sigh* you're so creative.

Joy said...

The magnets are cute. I've also seen them made with words of inspiration. Isn't it possible just to put a couple of nails through your mat? If they are headless nails, they should just disappear into the mat.

nanamoo said...

My husband and I hung a huge rug on our wall some years ago with drapery hooks and nails...maybe that will work for you.

Christy said...

Those magnets are fun! I agree with you about the lasting souvenirs. Whenever we are on vacation I try to bring home something that was special or significant about that time. One can only have so many T-shirts, magnets, and coffee cups!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I love your magnets. I made some like them last November...and was surprised how easy they were to make!

Oh my goodness, my children want to buy pure crap when we're on vacation. Short of refusing to let them buy cheap stuff, how do you teach your kids to choose lasting things?? I'm really curious.

...for all eternity said...

I have some magnents like that. They aren't made with fabric but scrapbook paper. Is that what those are made from? As far as hanging the rug-not so sure. Could you put a frame around it somehow? I have no clue. I still have a big iron cool heavy thing I don't know how to hand so it leans up against my wall on top of a dresser.
Speaking of crap stuff. Just today my kids cashed in early their reading points at the library. They need to read 20 more books to get this really cool pen, but got these other junk toys that are already broken. It's all about getting it NOW.

...for all eternity said...

by the way, it's me Jenee. I changed our name from "Our Family"

The Farmer's Wife said...

I love those magnets too! How funny, my sister in law just posted about making these too! Now all I need is the cute magnet board to go with! Love all your cute summer things!

Sarah said...

cute, cute, cute magnets. A giveaway???? I'd be in for sure....

Melanee said...

The rug is incredible. Okay. Hmm. Where's your husband when we need him? Could you use duct tape somehow? How about a big ribbon in a "V" across the front and then tied in the back and hung somehow? How about some fishing wire that wouldn't show up on the outside that could be brought around to the back and hung on eye screws in the studs? Maybe you could get a heavy needle and thread the fishing wire through the rug so there was just a little on the front and brought to the back to hang on the eye hooks? How about a shelf underneath in either of the contrasting colors, and narrow, so it didn't detract but would be able to stay put? Probably not. Anywhere you could set it up atop of something? Underneath something, like feet? :) In a location on the floor that wouldn't be walked on often but seen a lot?

Love the magnets. The girls and I made these a few years ago, but just with little clipping from magazines. Love the stuff from your vacation. You always pick great stuff.

Shannon said...

Hi! I would hang that rug with a big chunky distressed white frame. Then you could use it as a cork board because the backing on the rug would hold your pins. Just a thought. :)

Ellen said...

I love your decor! Can I come visit you so I can get a full tour? :)

Lisa said...

I was wondering where you found your seahorse? You posted about them a while ago, but I keep forgetting to ask. I have a couple of places I would like to put one, but can't seem to find one.

These are all really cute.

Krissy said...

Heh. I make those magnets too! :) Except I use paper. Always paper. lol My fabric is MUCH too special to me. LOL