6.19.2008

Coming Out of the Closet

Hi. My name is Rae and I am addicted to sugar.
This fact has just recently come to my attention. Well, maybe I should say I have just recently decided to accept this fact. I have had tons of physical problems lately. Massive headaches, extreme fatigue (though that is not new), my brain feeling like it is twitching, mood swings, etc. I was seriously thinking I must have a brain tumor. What else could it be? Ah, how about my diet? Yes, I eat relatively healthy. Yes, I watch my portions. NO, I do not regulate my sugar intake. Hence, my body falling apart and experiencing some weight gain. No more, my friends! I have had it! So far, I have gone 36 hours without any refined sugar. I am kickin' this habit cold turkey. I feel like a coke addict for pete's sake! I am literally counting minutes, hours, days, weeks. I am chewing gum (sugar free, of course) just like someone trying to quit smoking. I crashed last night at 6 PM and was comatose for 4 hours. Poor DK thought I was dead! When I finally woke up at 10 PM I told him about my recent insights into my sugar issues. He just kind of looked at me funny and blew it off. I think he would rather have me on crazy pills! :) No matter what HE thinks, I firmly believe there is such a thing as addiction to sugar. 

Lara, over at The Lazy Organizer, has a fantastic post concerning sugar addiction. I highly recommend taking a moment to read it.

I also found some great information here. I had no idea this was such a problem for most Americans. In fact, I had no idea there was such a thing as sugar addiction until I started reading Jessica's blog a few years ago. At first I must admit I was like DK and thought it was a bunch of hooey. The more I read and the more I, myself have witnessed, I have become a believer.

My mother has also been a huge proponent of the no refined sugar thing. Her idea of a sweet treat is to eat carrots. Ick. Yuck. I'm not sure I'll ever get to that point but I do know I have got to stop popping a cookie in my mouth anytime my sweet tooth acts up.

So. There you have it. I'm completely out of the closet. I hope my family survives the next week or so as I detox my body. It's bound to get ugly around here!

11 tweets and twitters:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I feel 100 million times better when I get off of sugar. But it's in SO MUCH STUFF! I try really hard not to consume it (and detox is the worst) and right now I need to seriously cut back! Good luck...you CAN do it!

Pedaling said...

i believe in sugar addiction-it's real----
you can do it-
apples are miracle food and so are green beans--
make sure you eat 1 apple and 1 can a day! it will help and you'll actually look forward to it when you're not on the white stuff!

Christy said...

You are my inspiration. I have not been able to stick to no sweets during the week. I have given up sugar before, and when I did I really started enjoying the taste of regular food - sort of like someone who gives up smoking. It's amazing what sugar can do to your taste buds. Best of luck!

Christy said...

I do remember when I gave up sugar I loved eating a combination of red grapes and almonds. It was quite a treat.

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

I so believe it is true. I know what it does to me when I eat too much of it!
I was off it for a while a LONG time ago. When I started eating it again, it was HORRIBLE! I had to get used to eating it again!
It's a grand idea. I can't say I am jumping on cold turkey, but I am sure doing my best to try to watch how much I eat. It must be helping because I can tell I am finally losing weight again!

Erica said...

I'll be joining the no refined sugar group after vacation. You know what my results were cutting out processed stuff so I hope you see some good results too! It's SO hard to stop. Must have it.... no, just say no sister!

Nancy said...

You are so brave... cold turkey. Wow. I gave up candy for a lot of my last pregnancy which was so hard because I became a candy addict after reading Steve Almond's Candyfreak. But now I'm back to my candy addiction and I need to stop. I'll start with candy and soda and see how well I do. :)

Jen said...

I too am a chocoholic :) Great seeing you yesterday, I have to keep that rooster in my car just in case.

Lisa said...

I am a member of this club, too. :) Good for you! Hope it goes well!

I am working on my own bad eating habits, too, and so far I'm still eating chocolate chip cookies. :(

I just read the whole cleansing thing Oprah did/is doing. I think if I had a cook it would be the way to go. I am going to give some of the recipes a try, but.....we'll see!

Stay strong!

Cheryl said...

You should check out "The Mood Cure" by Julia Ross. Parts of it are extreme, but it has a lot of useful (and surprising) information about how our food affects every aspect of life. And some supplements that can help curb the sweets craving.

Marla said...

You have done this twice now Rae...spoken right directly to me! i have been thinking about the "food" we consume that is "poisoning" us...refine sugars, high fructose corn syrup, all the processing! I struggle with cutting out the convenience foods...but what would my poor 2-yr old eat??? I don't think I am quite ready to cut sugar cold-turkey (I don't have quite the same addiction symptoms), but I really want to make a switch to REAL food. I enjoyed all the links you posted, and I have some reading to do!