Last week Kenners informed DK and I that we had 7 days to decide whether or not she could get a dog. Now mind you, this was out of the CLEAR BLUE! She hadn't been talking about wanting a dog or a pet of any kind. Just, POW, I want a dog. And not just any dog but a Chihuahua! Say what?!?!?
She drew up a countdown to keep track of how many days were left until we had to make our decision. She was very good the first few days to take care of her Chocolate Lab Webkinz, Jay-Jay. Wednesday she asked me how she was doing taking care of Jay-Jay. I said pretty good but she hadn't taken him for any walks or put him outside to go potty...not even once. She gave me this disgusted look and said, "It's not a REAL dog." "Precisely," I responded, which went right over her head.Last night at dinner Kenners asked us to inform her of our decision. DK and I looked at each other (because we hadn't actually talked about it thinking it would fizzle out and she would forget). I cleared my throat and jumped in.
"Well, Kenners, we have decided that you CAN get a dog....just not for another three years."
"Three years??!?!? I thought you would say I could have a dog THIS year!"
"No. You have to wait until JK is 5 and in Kindergarten."
She promptly turned and glared at JK as if he were the enemy. Fortunately by the end of dinner she had moved on and was planning our after dinner entertainment: a magic show. She let JK assist her and all was forgiven. Now, the question remains...will she remember to ask for a dog in another 3 years?





7 tweets and twitters:
She's awesome! I can't believe that you would even consider it...all the hair, the drool, the lickin you and themselves not to mention all the other stuff that comes out...YUCK! Sorry all you dog lovers, I'm just not one of you.
You can bet she will remember to ask and REMIND you that you said yes. Now you have three years to decide what and how old - I know of someone that can give you some advice in that area - :-)
PN
I hope for your sake she forgets, I know how you feel about dogs!
I'm sure she will remember! If she's anything like my children they forget NOTHING! Christopher has been asking for a "pet that he can pet", since all we have are two fish! They sort of already have a dog though--we borrow my parents little dog Lily every once in awhile. She's the best little dog. She can come and play and then she can go home!
Just remember that after the initial fascination wears off, you are going to be the one taking care of it. Especially at first when they have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Maybe you should consider being a foster family first, that way if it doesn't work out, the dog doesn't end up in a shelter. Just a thought!
So, about a year ago SLC (she was 4) asked if she could have a dog. I said, "yes but when you are 7 1/2 and and mommy doesn't have any little babies to take care of anymore." I just thought she would forget about it.
No joke, she reminds me EVERYDAY and always talks about all the things she is going to do with her dog, what she's going to name it and picks out toys at the store for it. So, now you've done it. You will have to hear about it for the next 3 years!!!!
Too funny! You really are in for it now Rae! And I know how some of your other pet episodes ended...
Post a Comment