It's been a few weeks now since I've written a post that has anything to do with my personal history. That was my goal for each Sunday: write something that my posterity could benefit from. Well, I'm not so sure this post will be a benefit or a detriment but here goes anything!
The question is: What crazy fad do you remember in grade school? Hmmmm, I'm not sure if these are from grade school or later, but here are a few that stick out in my mind!
I remember the big side feathers. You know, when you rake your bangs and sides back with your fingers and they fall down in a feather-ish fashion? It took a lot of training to get this to happen. I would rake and rake and rake my hair to get it to fall just so. I wish I had a picture to post of this, but alas, I do not!
And then I remember going from feathery hair to shaving off my sides. Do you remember that? What was going on in the world that we would do such a thing? Did you? I remember how HORRIBLE it was to grow my sides back in. They puffed out like chipmunk cheeks FOREVER! Again, NO picture of that one!!!!
And wearing more than one color shoelace in your sneakers (Does L.A. Gear mean anything to you?)...and push-down socks..how about leg warmers? Let's not forget parachute pants (which I made a pair in home ec class)!!
In high school I don't remember as many fads. That's probably because I wore my gray and burgundy school uniform every day. But I seem to remember SHORT skirts being the fad. I couldn't even bend over because OOPS you'd see a bit too much. On occasion we could wear "street clothes" to school. I remember telling a nun (who was reprimanding me that my skirt was too short) that if my mother allowed it SHE certainly should not have a problem with it. But then again, compared to a habit EVERYTHING is SHORT!
Looking back over my growing up years, I do not seem to have very many pictures from 6th grade through 10th. Do you think that has something to do with those being the most gawky years of a person's life? The few pictures that are still floating around are enough to make me cringe. And you know what's really sad? My Rand will be entering that stage in 3 more short years. Ah, the circle of life!





6 tweets and twitters:
I never fell into that fashion - jeans and a T-shirt - that was me - and I never did understand the feathering thing (maybe because I could never get my hair to play along) - not to mention that it usually made you look like a cocker spaniel - and no one ever seemed to ask how their hair looked from the back - silly observations but I'm glad we all survived!!
PN
I remember putting the perfect spot of gel on the sides of my hair- by the temples- and blow drying them into perfect little schlumps. Maybe this was the small town version of the 'shave'. Yikes!! That just sounds painful! Oh the days.....
I don't remember your skirts being too short...Oh maybe that's because mine were the same length!
I remember the rolling the jeans and coordinating the socks to match the shirt. I also remember beaded friendship pins. I too had the feathers and I agree that those years are the most awkward and unflattering that a person can go through.
The whole hair feathering could not be possible without AQUANET the extra super hold I think the can was pink? Don't forget the two pairs of socks pushed down and mocks! I'll never forget my acid washed jeans with the strategically placed holes..and of course I would wear my zebra striped spandex pants underneath..Oh what a sight.
pegged pants? Oh you need to check out Kerflop. Apparently JCrew thinks peggins is back!
love your look-back on fads. I remember some of them, like the push-down socks. Oh memories.
Post a Comment