Growing up it was just me and my little sis. Erica is 2 years younger than I and you could not find more opposite people if you tried.
I liked to wear dresses - Erica pants. I liked to have pretties in my hair - Erica wanted hers short. I didn't like to go out and get dirty - Erica loved being outside. I was into piano, singing and drama - Erica did sports. I could go on and on but I'm sure you catch my drift.
If I wanted Erica to play Barbies with me I would have to play Lego's with her first. We learned that if we wanted the other to do something we had to give to get. We did have a few things in common: We both loved to play store. We would each set up a store with different trinkets and we would buy and sell to each other using change from our mom. We also liked to play Monopoly but not how you might have played it. We would play until all the properties were bought and then see who had the most money. That's it. Whoever had the most won. We didn't build houses or hotels. We were not cut throat at all. The first time I had to play Monopoly for real I was demolished!
I would do ANYTHING to help my sister. I remember two specific moments. Erica was in Kindergarten and I was in 2nd grade. Her classroom was at the end of the hall from mine. I remember her coming to the door of my classroom crying. She couldn't unzip her coat and her teacher was busy helping the other kids. I don't remember if I got her coat unzipped or if my teacher needed to help but I do remember walking her back to her classroom and telling her everything was just fine. I still remember the color of her jacket: yellow!
The other time was in high school. I was a senior and she a sophomore. She was taking Spanish and there was a new teacher that year. Erica and this teacher were like oil and water. This teacher didn't like anything my sister did or said. Her teacher started being a bit obnoxious to her and after school one day I couldn't find Erica. I went hunting the school for her and heard this Spanish teacher yelling in her classroom on the third floor. I stood outside the door and heard Erica's voice as well. I burst through that door and demanded to know what was going on. The teacher was so surprised! First of all, she didn't know Erica and I were sisters. Not only was a senior that year but I was Vice-President of the Student Council and President of the National Honor Society. I was definitely on the "in" list with our school's admin. and she looked like she was about to have a stroke. I took Erica straight to the Principal's office and explained what I had witnessed. Needless to say that teacher never bothered my sister again after my parents came in for a conference and things were straightened out. She didn't come back to teach the next year either. Good riddance!
I am very happy to say that even with all of our differences I have a very best friend in my sister. It has been absolutely fabulous having her living close again. With her being married to a Navy man I know this may not last forever. I treasure every time we get together. Thanks for all the memories, Erica, even the bad ones! (We won't mention how we would get into fist fights while we were supposed to be folding laundry.......)




3 tweets and twitters:
There is no greater bond than that of sisters. I too am blessed to have a special closeness to my own sister, as you and I have often talked about.
I am grateful to have three sisters, I can't imagine my life without them.
After five years living thousands of miles apart, it has been so great to be close by. Thanks for everything, you truly are the best sister anyone could ever ask for (but, don't let it go to your head!).
Post a Comment