1.27.2008

Public Restrooms

There has been a lot of potty training talk lately among myself and some of my friends. We all have almost 2 year olds and our thoughts are turned toward boycotting diapers. I've been thinking about my past potty training experiences and how smoothly they went. Right after Kenners potty trained we had to find every single bathroom every single place we went. It didn't matter if she had gone potty right before we left the house and we were at a store 5 minutes later. She would still have to go into the bathroom. You might be thinking she has a small bladder. Not quite. She liked to rate the different bathrooms. In her cute LOUD voice she would say things like, "This one is stinky, Mommy!" or "Ewwwwww, look how DIRTY!" and once in awhile, "Wow! This bathroom smells good!" It got to the point that I knew every bathroom at almost any establishment. It didn't matter how much I threatened her beforehand...we ALWAYS had to go into the restroom. I am skanked out by public bathrooms and this was quite a trial time in my life! But, on the upside, we had lots of practice on how to use the potty in a public place. The correct way to put toilet paper or a sanitary cover on the toilet, how to flush the toilet with your foot, how to wash your hands and turn off the faucet with the paper towel and not your bare hands and of course the same for the door handle when you leave the icky place. Ahhhh, good memories! This time round will be a bit different with a boy. No sitting on toilet paper but maybe, just maybe, he'll be one of the few boys who properly know how to wash their hands! Here's to hoping!!!!

7 tweets and twitters:

Anonymous said...

Yeah..I am not looking forward to the whole boy pottytraining thing.

Unknown said...

Ya, um, good luck with the hand washing.

Susan said...

It's loads of FUN. It's great when you take your little boy into the ladies room and he is trying to look under the stalls. Nice. Or when he hears a lady fart in another stall, he says things like "Mom, she's pooping! That was a nasty fart, it's probably stinky." And then we try to wash our hands and get out before that woman can figure out which little boy said that.

Susan said...

I say this because we all now how obsessed with bodily functions little boys are. ;)

Erica said...

Okay Susan, that is too funny! but the sad thing is it's true with my boys too! They are too funny yet too embarrassing at the same time. Oh, Robin, my two boys were so much easier than my girl, yes that is right, easier. Hopefully you will have the same luck with JK!

Christy said...

I don't know....I have two boys and one girl. My daughter was much easier. For my second and third, I used the John Rosemond method of potty training, which is diaper off, potty right next to them. My son, being built the way he is, managed to pee right into his box of legos. Imagine the fun I had washing all of those. I learned after that to put a long t-shirt on him to control to some extent where it went!

...for all eternity said...

Hahahaha! We are just starting here too and the thing about SH is that he has to take everything from the waist down off, including shoes and socks. Then I have to hold him over the toilet because he's doesn't want to fall in. This can be quite a chore, especially in heels! Fun about boys is teaching to keep "it" pointed in the potty and the jiggle after. Fun times.