I stumbled upon Traci's blog the other week and was taken with one posting in particular. She challenged her readers to pick a word to live by for the coming year. At first I wasn't sure I was going to comply and pick a word. There are SO MANY words to choose from. How do I pick just one? Over the course of several days one word kept coming to mind. This is a word and a principle I have struggled with my entire life. Maybe this year is the year it becomes POSSIBLE for me to be CONTENT.
~My word for 2008 is CONTENTMENT~
I googled the word CONTENTMENT and here are a few quotes and ideas that jumped out at me:
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty ~Socrates
In a Buddhist sense, contentment is the freedom from anxiety, want or need. Contentment is the goal behind all goals because once achieved there is nothing to seek until it is lost.
But godliness with contentment is great gain. 1 Timothy 6:6
In a Buddhist sense, contentment is the freedom from anxiety, want or need. Contentment is the goal behind all goals because once achieved there is nothing to seek until it is lost.
But godliness with contentment is great gain. 1 Timothy 6:6
So, yes, I do believe this is the exact perfect word for me. I believe that each day will be a trial but my true desire is to live in a state of CONTENTMENT.
What will your word be for 2008? Once you know, please feel free to share!!!




7 tweets and twitters:
Commitment. Never been good at it, but in December I decided that's what I would "resolve" to do for this year. You'll have to give me tips at the end of the year b/c I think contentment would be a great one for me too and I'll choose it next year. And your blog below explains why I LOVE your home so much!
I love that you chose a word for the year. What a great idea. I think you are on your way to contentment. You have lost a TON of weight and are eating healthier and doing more healthful things with your life. You are well on your way to being content. You just don't realize it yet! ;)
Gratitude - That's mine. I didn't choose it because I think that I'm ungrateful for what I have, but I want to be more grateful...literally for everything. I want to be grateful even for the things that seem bad on the surface, but are really just events that I decide are good or bad...like Betsy being grateful for the fleas in The Hiding Place.
I'm still thinking but I just want to say that I love yours.
I love it!! I am still thinking about mine.
Thanks for stopping by my blog and come again! So we may know the same person- Diane?? I go to church with her!
Love your word and good luck with it!
I came up with mine last night - LOVE. I LOVE this idea - it gives us one thing to focus on, and yet it can encompass sooo much. Thanks for the inspiration.
Post a Comment