1.15.2008

Hot Racking

For those of you asking yourself, "What in the world is hot racking?" Let me explain:

"On submarines, there aren't enough racks for all crew to have their own, so three (junior) sailors will share 2 racks. When one gets up, another takes his place. The name is taken from the bunk never getting a chance to cool off. If life is good, each sailor has his own sheets. Life isn't always good. Bunk choice is by seniority, so 'making rate' leads to having your very own 'home'. This practice dates back to the sixteenth century."

Now you're asking yourself, "What does that have to do with Rae and her family?" Well, last night we had a type of hot racking going on. No, it is not because there are not enough beds in the house for the number of people who live inside. It's because I have two children who would rather sleep with Mommy than in their own beds.

Poor Kenners developed an allergic reaction to the amoxicillin she was taking for strep throat. After 7 days she broke out in a rash that covered her entire body. The doctor thought she would be fine since she had taken the antibiotic for a week. Wrong answer. Last night her throat was hurting and she had a fever. As of today she is taking zythromax and should be as good as new within the next two days. Because she wasn't feeling well last night she wanted to sleep with me. Any time she is sick or not feeling well she wants to curl up with her Mama. No problem. I told her to climb into my bed and I followed her shortly after. We slept until midnight when I heard a knock. JK was up and ready to run into my bed. I lugged Kenners to her bed and put JK in my bed. Are you starting to understand? Yep, the bed was still "hot" where Kenners had been sleeping. Around 1:30 AM DK moved JK back to his room and we had a bit of time with just the two of us sleeping in our bed. Kenners showed back up around 4 AM and was there for the rest of the night.


Thank goodness we have a king sized bed and not a little bunk like those on submarines. Actually, one reason why we have a king sized bed is because DK hated the tiny bed on the sub.

I suppose I should be grateful that I know and love the little bodies jumping into bed with me...not like the poor sailors on a submarine!

3 tweets and twitters:

Cheryl said...

There must have been something going around. My kids were playing "hot momma" this morning. Not just b/c I'm so good looking, but Blake brought both of them to bed (so we could sleep longer, supposedly) and they fought over who could lay across my body. But at least it didn't start until 6:45for us. Sounds like a long night at your house.

Susan said...

As much fun as it sounds to have your kids sleep with you, I am very glad that they don't join us in our bed. Although sometimes Lucas will ask me to cuddle him in his bed, which is fine with me. I cuddle him and tell him stories and then I leave and go to my own bed. Ahhhh...

Anonymous said...

that is why Nate is still in a crib. Not making that mistake again..took forever to get Em to sleep in her own bed!! Hope kenners feels better soon!!