12.04.2009

Weekend Anticipation

I am so looking forward to this weekend! It all begins with a GNO tonight with some friends from church. It is bittersweet as we are getting together to say goodbye to one of my dearest friends, Natalie. She and her family are moving back home after a much too short stint here on the East Coast. And poor JK, he's losing not only his good buddy but hopefully his future bride! Good thing absence makes the heart grow fonder!

Tomorrow we are going to visit Santa. I really struggled with the idea of just blurting to the girls that Santa isn't real and not even start the whole escapade with JK. Rand, 11 years old and in the 5th grade, still believes! Both of the girls acknowledge that we will not be seeing the "real" Santa tomorrow as he is at the North Pole busily overseeing the making of their toys. DK said to let it go, they'll realize soon enough....

We are off to see a Christmas play tomorrow night, "The Gospel According to Scrooge," based on Dickens' "A Christmas Carol". BTW, that is our gift to our neighbors and friends this season. A hard covered copy of Dickens' story along with a homemade ornament. Sorry if I ruined the surprise for any of you!

Also on tap for the weekend is our Christmas card picture. We have put it off long enough. It's time to get it taken and those cards ordered! I have been starving myself for the past 4 days (with a slip up last night involving cheese balls) in preparation for the picture. Can't wait to get it done and over with!

The weatherman says snow is in our weekend forecast. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I really want to set up the Christmas tree with snow falling softly outside. I bought a new tree this year. It is one of those "just cut", real to the touch type trees. I'm so excited! We have been using the same skinny tree for the past 8 years. Though it is always pretty and magical once decorated I'm looking forward to a more "real" tree!
last year's tree

Last but not least, we will be able to watch the First Presidency's Christmas Devotional on Sunday evening. Though I am probably the only member of my church who does not enjoy the MOTAB choir, I do really enjoy their music during the devotional.

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend with the ones you love!!

post signature

8 tweets and twitters:

Kim said...

Allison kept asking if Santa was real or not and doing internet searches on the subject this year, so we finally broke the news to her.

I thought she was going to cry, but she recovered. She was also given instructions to keep pretending for her siblings!

Sariah said...

I am not a fan of MOTAB either. I prefer Manheim Steamroller or something similar. Love your tree from last year, so I can't wait to see the new one!

diane said...

Repeat after me, "If you believe, you will recieve." This is what I have always told my children. I have only had one child question me. I'm standing firm. I believe.

I can't wait to see your new tree. After wrestling my 20 year old tree again this year and spending 3 hours winding lights around the branches I am ready to toss the whole mess into the trash. I will have a new pre-lit tree next year.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your weekend! I cannot have a real tree nor a fake one in my house yet, so please post some photos of your new tree to cheer us up a little! ;-)

Lisa said...

My mom never answered the question, "Is Santa Real." Only said, "There will be nothing unless you believe". So I say similar things to my kids.

(ps. I'm not a MOTAB fan, either.)

Shawn said...

I never really told my kids, and we all still keep the Christmas thing going----for my 9 year old.

Sorry I haven't been around lately---too swamped! I am hoping that I can get together sometime this month with Alyson and Rhonda and you!---you up for it?

alex_12_12_ said...

Gosh, Alex doesn't believe at all anymore. She's getting a kick out of helping pick out stocking stuffers and such. She even asked if she could help eat the cookies we leave out for Santa! One of the boys asked if Santa was real too. I can't remember which one though! I promptly ignored whoever it was who asked me!

Natalie said...

Make sure you save this picture for their wedding video!!!! :) It's too cute... Can't wait to see your new tree!