12.09.2009

Snow and Cookies

This morning we woke up to our first snow storm of the season. We were all giddy with the idea of no school and being home together. I had planned ahead for the possibility of a snow day and had all the ingredients needed to bake cookies to give to our neighbors. We worked our way through chocolate chip, gingerbread and Dove Double Chocolate cookies before arriving at the sugar cookies. All did not go well. Take a look at what are supposed to be reindeer.
I think they look like fat, fluffy sheep.
DK says they look like bunnies.
Needless to say these did not pass quality control and were gobbled up by my children. After several more attempts at different shapes and failing miserably I gave up in utter frustration.

Sugar cookies are no longer part of my baking repertoire.
I never really liked them anyway.
So there!

post signature

14 tweets and twitters:

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

LOL! I was trying to figure out what those were before reading the post. I couldn't guess! Sugar cookies are kind of blah anyway...with so many other varieties out there who needs them? :)

Unknown said...

Really is there a more complicated cookie out there? Mix dough, refrigerate dough, roll out dough, cut out cookies, place on pan without messing them up, bake, cool, and frost. Utter torture!

diane said...

We had a winter storm on Monday which means it rained. I baked my faux made treats. I cheat more than Sandra Lee and her semi-homemade recipes. Now I remember why I don't bake. My kitchen was a disaster and it took all day to make four dozen cookies and two batches of "gourmet" popcorn.

I bet those fat sheep tasted divine.

Carol............. said...

Hmmmm.....aliens perhaps? LOL

Never-the-less, bet they tasted good!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

This post sorta makes me feel better. I can't make pretty sugar cookies either. I thought it had to do with my altitude. Now I'm not so sure...I think my problem is human error!

Hope your snow day was wonderful!!!

duchess said...

I thought they were bunnies. Bet they still tasted yummy.
Have fun playing in that snow.

Erica said...

I am seeing bunnies. Is this like one of those ink blot tests?

You need to buy the already rolled out Pillsbury sugar dough. I learned this last year when I had to make a bazilion sugar cookies for BC's class. So much easier.

Camryn said...

HAHAHA! LOVE your reindeer! Yeah, I can totally relate...I had a chocolate dipping Christmas mishap on my blog this week too....

mmmm...maybe there is something in the air?

I found you through MMB. Just grabbed your button and I am now following! :)

Nancy said...

I love eating sugar cookies, but I don't have the patience for making them. So I just make sure to gobble them all up whenever someone brings a plate over, or they are at a potluck.

Shawn said...

Oh, I never care what they look like----just frost them and EAT!!

Andy said...

Dove double chocolate! Are you kidding me?

AASKH said...

Sugar cookie cut-outs are the ones I dread the most too! I HATE how they always stick to the rolling pin and my shapes have been non-identifiable in the past too!

Brandi said...

I so understand, Rae! I used to dread them until I found an awesome recipe that didn't require refrigeration. It has tons of shortening in them though. They cut out and cook well too! If you ever get the itch to try them again, here's the recipe:

I made these last year for Christmas and had several compliments on them. It makes a very large batch. It's a bosch recipe, so I use my mixer for it. (It can be made by hand too though.) I start with the whipping attachment for creaming and then change to the dough hook when I add the dry ingredients.

Sugar Cookies for Cutters
3 cups Shortening
4 1/2 cups Sugar
9 Lrg or 12 Med Eggs
3 tsp. Almond Extract
6 tsp. Vanilla Extract
12 cups Flour
3 tsp. Salt

Cream together the shortening, sugar, eggs, and extracts. Add flour and salt and mix well. Roll out and cup into desired shapes. Place on cookie sheets and bake at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes. Frost when cooled. Makes 40-50 large cookies.

Frosting
2 1/2 pounds Powdered Sugar
2/3 cups Shortening
2 tsp. Almond Extract
Milk or Water to desired consistency

Combine ingredients and color in desired amounts for decorating your cookies.

Merand said...

Perhaps you can't give them away but you can still eat them yourself! (Okay, maybe that isn't a good thing either...) I never do sugar cookies myself. I let my mother-in-law make them and we just decorate!