Since the girls were toddlers we would read Scripture Stories with them every night before bedtime. As they grew older we switched over to actual scriptures and would take turns reading verses out loud. Unfortunately we have run into the problem of time. There is never enough of it at bedtime! As we read the scriptures together I would be sitting there fuming about how late it was getting or I would be hopping all over the place trying to get things taken care of for the next day.
Two weeks ago I decided enough was enough! Though I think it's important to end the day by reading God's word and praying I feel that it might be even more important starting the day with God's word fresh in our mind.
7:20 AM is now our new family scripture reading time. We all sit down at the breakfast table to read, discuss and pray. As I wave goodbye to my girls as they hop on the bus and go to school I feel so much better knowing that they have put on the armour of God and not only nourished their physical body but their spirit as well!






10 tweets and twitters:
Unfortunately, our mornings are so crazy and rushed, so nighttime is when we read from the Bible. I do agree that mornings are much better because I think it helps get your day started off on a very positive note.
Over the years, we had to change our scripture reading schedule several times. I think it is so great that you are doing what it takes to make it work.
Hi Rae,
Just stumbled onto your blog and love it. I'm signing up now. Looking forward to learning more about you. Nice to find another believer out there in blogland. Have a great day!
Breakfast was always the time the girls and I would read scriptures and I really loved it. Now, however, with seminary thrown in there, it is HARD. Emily is reading them on her own and I've been thinking I would read with just Amanda. For a while we were doing it during dinner, but that didn't last long. The older they get, the crazier life gets, the harder it is to find time to get everyone together. Good luck!
So true - bedtime is the time of day when honestly. I just want the kids to go to bed. It's late, I'm tired and scripture study is not a priority then. I have been thinking about doing this after school with them, when Lauren is down for her nap!
Good job to you guys. We just started doing family home evening every monday night. We will have to work on a time for family scripture study. Morning seems like a good time.
This is a great reminder. I need to find a good time to do this with my boys. I agree that bedtime is just so crazy, but mornings just might work better.And I'm not fried in the morning like I am at night.
Very cool idea...great reminder of what is important...and good habits for them to pick up into adult life. cherry
You are a great Mom. This will help prepare your kids for early morning seminary. I love that my kids start their day going to seminary to read and study God's words before they go to school. They need all the help they can get to face this crazy world. You are giving your kids an edge.
Last night I was reading in 2Timothy about vain babblings. Ouch, that is pretty much all my blog is about...vain babblings.
Morning worked best for us when the kids were in grade school. Now that they're teenagers and leave at 5:30 AM for seminary, night-time is better. The important thing is to just do it. Reading scriptures as a family really does make a difference.
Post a Comment