3.05.2009

How to Potty Train a Boy

For those of you who are looking for a sure-fire tutorial on how to potty train your little angel....this is not the post for you!

I have two wonderful girls who trained themselves. One day they wore diapers, the next day they did not. We were blessed to never have any accidents. The Lord knew I could not handle that and how I would have to sell my house if the girls were to leak pee throughout it!

So here I am with a boy. See his adorable little face?
Too bad he's adorably CLUELESS and most UNCOOPERATIVE when it comes to potty training. I'm considering buying the Cool Alert Pull-Ups, something I vowed never to do. So before I take such a drastic step, do any of you amazing mamas have any tips, advice and/or words of wisdom? 

post signature

27 tweets and twitters:

Alyson | New England Living said...

I just finished (about 6 months ago) potty training the last of my 4 kids!! Hip, hip, hooray!

No trick really. I do wait until they are 3. With my last one, one day I just decided I would not change anymore diapers. So, even though he kept asking for a diaper, I refused. He was potty trained immediately.

heather said...

I'm not a mama, but good luck! ;)

How old is he? I taught a two year old pre-school and mostly the girls were potty trained early, early in the year -and the boys were just beginning at the end of the year, when they were either 3 or very close to it.

Marci @All Things Wonderful said...

I bought the Cool Alert Pull-ups for my son...he didn't care if he was cold. Boys are kinda hard. I gave m&ms for going in the potty...2 for pee-pee and 4 for poo. It worked for him, mostly because he wanted to choose the colors of m&ms. It took almost 4 months from start to finish. Maybe my little one is slow....but it just cliked~one day. Good luck!

Susan said...

Oh what fun! Potty training!

Those pull-ups with the cool alert didn't work on Lucas either. He could have cared less if it was "cold". But I let him walk around without a diaper for about a week. No undies just bare naked bum. He would start to freak out and then I'd take him to the bathroom and he's pee. Same for poop!

Benner though? He's COMPLETELY uninterested and thinks it's OK to pee on the carpet! I don't know what we're going to do with him!!

Best of luck to you- if you figure out a sure fire way, let me know. We'll be needing it!

April said...

Wish I could help you, Rae! With two girls...I have no clue how to potty train a little boy! Lots of luck to you...pray for patience! :)

Elizabeth said...

We were potty training our son in the summertime, so this may not work for you yet. But we just let him run around naked in the backyard. It took two days, and he was officially trained. We had a fenced yard and didn't know our neighbors anyway, so it wasn't a big deal. Eventually he asked for underwear during the day, and never had any accidents.

That's the only advice I have:) And it worked!

Tara said...

Same story here....they get it eventually...we just let our little guy pee outside of course it was summertime, but it worked!

Ruby Red Slippers said...

My third (!) boy is going to start soon as well-and it has been a pain each time!
Welcome to messy, filthy bathrooms-you wouldn't think they could pee on so many things-but after cleaning up after my two older ones-you would be amazed where you find pee...
Good luck-and when you find what works-please post about it-I need more help with boy number 3-he could careless...

Marla said...

please pass your wisdom learned on to me! I did NOT enjoy your luck with my firtst born girl. And now I have a little guy that has been "out"of diapers for 6 months, and goes when taken, but does not initiate going! And I can't even begin to talk about #2!!!

Good luck!

Carry Grace said...

Hey Rae, Cade is officially potty trained and he was 3 in Nov.

Cade liked the cool alert pullups so I had to quit buying them. He may just not be ready yet. I pushed Cade to much in the beginning and it didn't work. I just had to wait until he was ready, and then it was easy.

duchess said...

We bribed ours with matchbox cars. We got the really big set with a lot in it & every time he went to the potty, he got another car.
He still has them up in his room & I love pulling them out to remember (and play).

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, rae it is just one of those things we can't force. If you make too much of it, it becomes a power struggle as I learned with EJ. With our guy, in the beginning we used m&m's as a reward. Now we don't need rewards but are still having to remind him to go to the bathroom before he has an accident because he just doesn't want to stop what he is doing and go. As far as #2, he absolutely REFUSES to use the toilet so after talking with the DR we decided to have him tell us when he has to go and we put a pullup on him, he does his business, we change him. We still ask him each time if he wants to try on the toilet but we don't force it. I know it won't be forever, remember they eventually do get it..it just seems like it will never end! Good luck!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

No advice for you, but I will tell you that my son was the hardest of my three to train. He's my oldest, so I got the toughest out of the way first. My girls were easy, just like yours. Hang in there!

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Its been too long for me to give tips, but I do know boys are more difficult than girls. Hang in there. I have friends who have recently been through the same thing. As for the HS I have been there too. It was the best thing we ever did. Jackie

Shell in your Pocket said...

Well, don't stress..it will come...it always does...I have never used the cool alert pull-ups..sounds interesting.
sandy toe
Have you tried aiming at a floating cheerio?

jeanne @ Inspiring Ideas said...

Let me know how it goes!! My son is 2 1/2 and COMPLETELY uninterested in using the potty - no bribes: Spiderman undies, M&Ms, candy, stickers, nada. He was the cutest cheerleader for his big sissy not too long ago when she was training, so I thought he'd be right on board ... I was wrong ... :-(

Our Complete Family said...

Hmmm, not sure about boys b/c Bryce just 'trained' himself all of a sudden when he was right at 2 1/2. Now Caroline...I'm sure she will be a pill when her time comes, so you'll have to keep me in the loop about any good things that work for your little man that would work for a girl, too! How is your foot feeling this evening? Did your apt go well? Thinking of you hun~ Les

kari and kijsa said...

We waited for summer and just went bare...worked like a charm (luckily the grass fared okay too!!)

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Southern Fried Gal said...

Hello! I'm stopping over from visiting Joy. The cool alert didn't work for my boy either. We tried everything - silly songs, candy bribes, small toy bribes, big toy bribes, begging and nothing worked. I think when we stopped making a big deal out of it he finally did it on his own and really quickly I might add. Not sure how old your boy is but he had just turned 3 when he finally got it. Good luck!

Merand said...

I read through every single comment since you know Evie has absolutely no interest either. I had hoped for some good inspiration. Maybe when she's 3, she'll magically potty train. So many with girls have had that experience. I hate the thought of having to buy two kinds of diapers with #2 arriving (any day now, I hope!) but I also don't want to deal with the potty training and a newborn so I will wait for summer and she'll be three at that point too. I've heard lots of people use the bare treatment. That could work, I'm just not crazy about it. I've got "feel wet" pull-ups but haven't used them yet. We'll just commiserate together, eh? :)

Kristen said...

Oh PT - with Graham it was miserable. I should've waited longer. With Greg I did wait till this last December (he turned 4 at the end of this February) so a little later than most boys but that seems to be my kids. I started him on the little potty and gave him a treat every time he even sat down. We had a "prize box" - I took him to Wal-Mart and he got to pick his potty prizes - matchbox cars, candy, popcorn, etc. So he was SUPER excited to pick a prize from the box when he actually went!! Let him drink all the chocolate milk, soda and juice he wanted so he had to go more often. Let him wear padded undies so he could feel when he got wet.

Took us a few days - but he did it and we've only had a problem on week 3 when he thought pooping in undies was ok (SO NOT DUDE!) He is a super heavy sleeper so he wears pull ups at night but day time he is great! ALSO, he had a verbal incentive, he really wanted to go to his new preschool and couldn't unless he was PT - so I reinforced that a lot also. GOOD LUCK!! I think PT is the worst part of parenting.

Erica said...

I guess I'm the only one who had an easy time potty training boys! My two were easier than my girl! BC trained when he was 2.5 in a few days with m&m's and books and Stitch was just over 2 and we bribed him with candy. Stitch only took 2 days too. I plopped the potty chair in front of the tv for Stitch, something I said I'd NEVER do but hey, I was tired of diapers and most importantly, it WORKED! Come on JK, you can do it!

Aubrey said...

Ah! I'm in the middle of potty training my twins that just turned 3. I tried a few months ago and failed miserably but everyone told me that 3 (years, for boys) was the magic #, so here we go! It's actually going better than expected, but I know it's going to take at least a month of intense potty patrol. :) They do ok in underwear but if they wear a diaper or pull up its a free for all! :) Good Luck to you! :)

Anonymous said...

I am like you in that I like to have a plan. With my first child (a boy), I found the following book and used it with my daughter also. I trained both of my children shortly after their second birthdays.

The book is called, "Toilet Training in Less Than a Day." I love it and swear by it. You will have to schedule some time in order to follow the book exactly. I was frustrated after the first hour but then during the second or third hour, it just clicked with my little boy.
Once we started potty training, he was no longer aloud to wear diapers; we switched to underwear completely. However, when he slept at night, we had him wear his night underwear (pull-ups). I didn't want him to think he had a diaper on and that it was o.k. to pee in it. However, I never told him not to pee in it. He just figured that out on his own and either stayed dry at night or woke up to get me so I could help him go potty.
Email me if you have more questions, I would love to help you.

Chiara

littlebyrd said...

Um, no I have no advice and I can't wait to read through all these other comments and maybe get some! Mine is 3 1/2 and sometimes goes in the potty so we know he gets it, he just prefers to not take the time to go. Your little one is adorable!!

Nancy said...

My son was almost four when he was finally potty trained after more than a year of trying. What finally worked with the peeing part was having pee pee contests with his dad (this only works when the dad is home, or there are older brothers). They race to the toilet and see who finishes first. If my husband wasn't home, I'd try the girl version of a pee pee contest, where he just had to beat me to the toilet first. We'd done stickers, fun underwear, candy, etc. With him, it just had to be when he was ready. Good luck.

RoverHaus said...

We tried steel wool in the diapers (vs. Spider Man underwear without) but social services didn't approve.

My wife says with boys, you just wait. But at some point, say 8 years old?, that theory goes out the door.

We used three things that seemed to do the trick. Affirmation, affirmation, and more affirmation. Good luck!