3.10.2009

Don't Worry, be Happy

Don't you love it when your little kiddos teach you valuable lessons? Here's a story about my latest lesson learned!

After running to the bank, post office and library this morning JK and I headed to dance class, the gas station and lastly Target. Anytime we are at Target JK demands that we go to the toy section to look at the trains. While browsing through their train collection JK's eyes lit up when he spotted a Thomas the Train bath toy. He started jumping up and down asking, "Take Thomas home? Take Thomas home?" How could I possibly say no? The utter happiness radiating out of his little body was enough to make me feel warm and fuzzy all over!

Once arriving home he immediately started stripping his clothes off and telling me to "get the scissors!" so we could open Thomas up. As I was ripping Thomas from his boxed prison JK started running in circles yelling, "Thomas take a bath with me! Thomas take a bath with me!" Again, the pure innocent joy of my little boy made me giggle with delight.

There are more times than I can count when I feel so inadequate as a mama. Saturday was one such day. A letter came in the mail from the Board of Ed with JK's preschool screening results. His test scores were well within the "pass" section BUT the accompanying letter callously stated, "As you are aware JK was reluctant to cooperate during his 2 year old screening." What?! I was NOT aware and have no earthly idea what you are referring to. This stupid letter kept me up Saturday night into the wee hours of Sunday morning and kept my mind boggled with mean and unkind thoughts for two days. Monday morning I phoned the BOE up to inquire about this letter and was informed I would receive a return phone call once someone looked into his file. I planned on spending the entire day at home, pacing and fuming until that phone rang. That was when it hit me upside the head. Why am I wasting all of this mental and physical energy on something so irrelevant when I could be pouring those resources into my son for something good! Instead of waiting around for the phone to ring JK and I went out and had a lovely afternoon. I didn't once think about or worry about missing my phone call.

It's Tuesday afternoon and while we were out this morning running our errands, going to dance class and having fun finding treasures at Target, the BOE called and left a message. They apologized for including the wrong cover letter with our test results and will send out a corrected letter today. How easy was that? Yet I spent countless hours agonizing over the situation!

Silly, silly girl!

For today, what is making me happy? Sitting here on the bathroom floor with my laptop, pouring my thoughts out into this post while watching my son play with his new Thomas in the tub. I am truly blessed...and a little wet from all the happy splashing!!

post signature

17 tweets and twitters:

Brandi said...

Sweet, Rae! We all need a reminder now and then to enjoy the journey! Thanks, sweetie!

Liz said...

I was going to say that must be a mistake. That didn't sound like cute little JK.

Rachel Berry said...

Great reminder!! My hubby keeps telling me that I need to find the "Joy in the Journey" all the time.

JK sounds like such a sweetie! And Thomas the Tank engine, he's a boy after my own Corbin's ♥!

Our Complete Family said...

Aw, aren't kids the best? So glad you had a fun time with JK and didn't let anything get you down! Thomas in the bath~ what a fun time he must have had!!! :)
Hugs, Les

Kristen said...

How fun! He is such a smart little boy.

Empty Nest Full Life said...

What a fun time with that little boy, and so often I find myself fretting, instead of giving my concerns to the Lord. I was reminded of that this week. Jackie

larkswing said...

So true, and yet I will probably do something similar before the week is out.

Smiles!

diane said...

Worry is a waste of energy. Thanks for the reminder. I'm trying to let go of the worry about my health issues. I think I'll go do the dance of Joy!

Nancy said...

My son just picked out this exact Thomas bath toy for a friend's birthday present and immediately informed me that he'd like one on his birthday list as well. :)

AASKH said...

I really enjoyed reading your post. You really are such a wonderful and amazing mom! Those 3 kids are so blessed to have you!

Tara said...

{sighhhh} don't you just love the mommy thing??? so sweet...

Unknown said...

What a good reminder to let go of our worries.

Marci @All Things Wonderful said...

I love this post! What a great reminder...to slow down and enjoy life. My little guy loves Thomas, also!

Merand said...

So glad that it all got worked out and that you took the initiative to find out more. I would have certainly done the same thing - there's nothing I'm better at than fuming and fussing and stewing over something in my head until it makes me loopy! Letting go, isn't always easy. So great to see you today! You always cheer me up from my glum moods!

duchess said...

I often have those same feelings of joy when I'm in Target.
As for the letter - how many two year olds really want to cooperate with anything their supposed to?
Glad you're not worrying about it.

Emilie said...

I know exactly what you mean about the joys in the little things! I sometimes indulge my two year old little boy when he gets so excited and asks so sweetly. We were just in Target last weekend, just the two of us since his brother was home sick with Daddy. (See my not me monday post) He got so excited about finding a small character "Mack" truck from Target. He has wanted one for so long and is obsessed with the movie CARS. They are hard to find. You should have seen him with that truck. He was so happy and thrilled he was such a little angel the whole shopping trip just holding it and looking at it, talking about it exclaiming. "It's Mack, look its Mack!" When we got home you can bet he ran into the house to show Daddy. So worth my $6.49! Oh to be a kid again! (I'm following you. Thanks for entering my giveaways!)

RoverHaus said...

Note to self:

1) Remember to be like Rae and enjoy life and quit fussing about the stuff you can' control.

2) Remember to buy wifey a Thomas the Train on our next date night.