One of my worst fears came true today. Kenners came home from school "fashion wise". One of her very bestest friends received UGG boots for Christmas. Guess what Kenners now wants?
Kenners: "But Mom, they don't have the label. It's all about the label. You HAVE to have the label!"
Me: "Uh-huh. Well, you have a birthday coming up. Maybe you'll get a pair for your birthday."
Kenners: "Great! I was going to save up for them but that would take FOREVER! They're like $120!!!!"







31 tweets and twitters:
I am SO not looking forward to this. I have two nieces who are 9 (one from each of my siblings). One niece is an angel, a little girl who acts about 30. The other acts like she's 15 and has for a few years. I don't want a teenage daughter... let alone a little kid who acts like a teen. Good luck.
UGG! I have fake slipper that I got from Rite Aid for 9 bucks... I hope they go out of style soon because my daughter HAS to HAVE everything her little friends get and this one would break the bank! I have gotten away with an mp3 player instead of an ipod and a Leapster instead of the DS but I know the "brand name" thing is coming soon!
My girlies got "fake" ones....I told them I'd pay for the "fake" and they could save for the the rest of the money and pay the difference for the real ones....they saved the money up, but decided it wasn't worth it and we bought the fake ones...and they bought an outfit with the rest of the extra money :O)
Oh no! I mean, ugg. I asked my daughter today if any of her friends got anything cool for Christmas. She rolled her eyes and said "Sally got a Wii and Susie got a Wii" followed by another eye roll and a huff. We don't have a Wii.
I'm so glad that mine is only 3 and doesn't know about labels. I know it will be here sooner than I think.
Oh no! I am dreading this - I know it's coming and it's going to hit my pocketbook hard!
I would say UGG at 120? that is the perfect name for them!
-sandy toe
I think the boots are cute and I do understand that desire for name brand things to fit in and stuff. If I had children, I would hate to spend $120 on something they may outgrow in no time.
"UGG!" Is right!
I also dread the day when my girlies discover that certain brands are "better" than others.
On a side note- my dh got me UGG slippers for Christmas and they are the coziest things I've ever put on my feet!
Rae,
I've heard it, too! UGGs are all the rage around here, as well. I suppose I'm too much of a tight wad to throw down upwards of $120 for something my girls will either grow out of quickly, or change their minds about after they've worn them a month or so. No can do! Why, oh, why does it always have to be about the labels with kids, anymore?
Fake UGGS for my THREE girls for Christmas... my husband and I think the designer of uggs thought they were ugly, so code-named them 'uggs' and decided to see if anyone would buy them for an outrageous price! And the joke's on the rest of us! Name brands? Oh brother.
Ugg! good luck! :) So far the only thing i have been asked for from my oldest boy's have been DC shoes. Don't get what the draw is for them but at 39.00 a pair I figured I could handle it.
Yes. UGG! I've been looking all over for boots too and this style seems everywhere but honestly I think they're just not cute at all. I must be getting older huh? BUT they also are among the only kind I've found that come tall and wide enough to tuck my pants in, so I just might be breaking down for a pair soon too.
UGG.
Hi! I just came over from Bless Our Nest. Your blog is great. Very Cute Story...I do not look forward to those moments.
Yep, I'm hearing on this end too! I think that they are cute, but not for $120! Ouch! Nope, we will not spend that kind of money on a pair of boots. My oldest daughter got money for Christmas and spent $125 on a pair of Ed Harty boots and they ARE NOT even cute! I tried talking her out of it...but she kept reminding me that it was her money. So, I had to let it be.
I don't get the big deal about UGGs...and are the really that great in snow and ice?!? I'm old and practical.
Wow! It's starts early doesn't it?
UGG!
Great post! Guess we will have to wait and see what Kenners gets for her birthday! I am amazed at the things that start young!!!!
Sorry about the Uggs. But when I read "coming home from school and worst fear" in the same sentence, my mind went to "head lice". Glad it's not THAT. I'm secretly terrified of THAT.
Hey, I've had the same chat with my 16 year old daughter except my answer was ... I would love for you to have a pair as well. How many hours of babysitting will that take? :)
Did you all enjoy your snow day? I slide all the way to school and watched children "trying" to walk on the sidewalks to get to school. It was ridiculous! We should have had the day off as well! Hope you had some hot chocolate for me!
Jo
omg, I am so not looking forward to this!!!
WOW... I didn't realize they were sooooo expensive... I'm not a fan.
Fashion education (and pressure) starts early, doesn't it?
Ugh. I mean UGG!
:)
Ugh.
I wonder if boys are the same way about brands?
UGG! I know my Anneli is going to be similar! Already this year, remember she's 3 1/2, she asked for an American Girl Doll. When she saw dolls that looked like American Girl Dolls at Target or other toy stores, she'd say, "Look at those fake American Girl Dolls. I'm going to get a real American Girl Doll."
I know, I'm in big trouble too...
It's probably only going to get worse, too! UGG now--Prada later!
Ahh, the power of branding! You can thank public school and tv for that one! I dread the day Evie cares about what she wears because I know we will never have the kind of money one needs to be truly fashionable. Now we can truly appreciate the beauty of school uniforms!
LOL...super cute post! :)
OK, Rae...regarding homeschooling...I would recommend it to anyone. It is an amazing thing to do and I have no regrets in doing it for 3 years. I don't know if I can help you but if you ever have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. And thank you for your comment, your words meant a lot. xoxox Ang
Ok, so this is what I'm thinking...I would inform Kenners that Uggs really are VERY 2006. If she really wants to be fashion forward she should start looking at the trends for Spring, which will be here sooner than she thinks and Uggs will be no where in sight.
Maybe a stretch, I know everyone and their brother is still wearing them BUT for 120 bucks maybe worth a try? LOL
Obviously, I'm not above diversion. I am usually negotiating with toddlers and graham crackers, but I know the label wars are ahead of me too.
Maybe Ugg would just sell you the tag!? What-do-ya-say!!
But seriously,
I've had a pair for over 10 years, use them evey winter and they still are great. Of course my feet have stopped growing so an investment in $120 was a little different!
They're starting younger and younger, aren't they?!? I fear by the time MH is 5 she'll be asking for things by brand!
It's one thing if their feet aren't still growing, but all that money when she'll grow out of them?
Tell her your 33 year old blogging friend is saving up for her own pair of Uggs (the tall chocolate brown ones), and in this economy, it's looking like I'll be lucky to have them for NEXT winter! Too bad they NEVER go on sale!
Post a Comment