11.12.2008

What's Your Accent?

Call me crazy but I've been thinking about accents and the way people talk. Have you given any thought to what I might sound like when I talk? I know I've wondered what you all might sound like. For example, I read quite a few blogs from you fabulous ladies down South. I would love to hear your cute little southern drawls! And then there are the fellow New Englanders...do you have a thick Maine accent, a Boston spin or more of a New Yorker sound? My friends in the Mid-West...do you sound like my grandparents who have lived in Kansas City for the past 35 years? How about you West Coast bloggers...are you California "dude-ish" or California girl sounding? DK is from Utah and I swear he has the weirdest way of saying certain vowels. I never know if he is saying dale or dell, hill or hell, bill or bell...you get the picture!

One of the reasons why I read so many different blogs is to enjoy all the different styles of writing. It would be so neat to pair your voice with your writing style! (I vaguely remember seeing this on someone's blog awhile ago...they posted a video of themselves talking. Neat idea, huh?)

Now, back to me. For those of you wondering what I might sound like...I have noticed a change in the way I talk since being back on the East Coast. Here's a small example, I now pronounce "school" as two syllables. "skoo-wil" But say it fast because that's how we talk up here in the North. FAST!! I am also told (by family and good friends) that I come off sounding snobby and stuck up. It's the tone I use. It's been this way forever and I don't think it's going to change!

One of my new blogging friends, Amy B gave me this fun little lovin' award! Thanks, Amy!!!

I need to post 5 things I love!
1. Diet Coke - did you see my poll on my sidebar? It seems like everyone LOVES Diet Coke. Do you?
2. Reading - if I am not reading a book I feel lost!
3. My hubby and children - they bring so much joy to my life!!
4. Pottery Barn - I truly love that store and take great satisfaction in stealing their ideas and making them my own at a fraction of the cost!
5. Going out to lunch with friends. This is one of my most favorite things to do. To all of you, my blogging friends, drop me an e-mail and we'll set up a lunch date!

post signature

29 tweets and twitters:

Ashley said...

i wish you lived closer so we could do lunch!! be kinda hard right now!! maybe we can just go to lunch on the same day at the same time and WHILE blogging to each other. that would count right?

Unknown said...

Congrats on the award! Girl I sound southern that is for sure! But not that movie southern real southern ya know ;)

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

Well, I am sure if you heard me talk you would see how southern I am too!
I love your cute little award! CONGRATS!

Shell in your Pocket said...

Congrats on your award...I talk fast and my husband is southern...slow drawn...I drive his family crazy b/c they are always four sentences behind me:)
-sandy toes

Fifi Flowers said...

How nice to get an award!
Lunch with friends is GRAND!
From one person to the next... we don't realize we have an accent... we think the other person has an accent... right.
As we say in So Cal... for sure, for sure! lol

Anonymous said...

I have a southern accent. I remember when I first met Bryan's dad he would ask me over and over what the sales tax was in NC. He knew but he wanted me to say "percent". I guess I drawl out the "cent". My Grandfather was from upstate NY so I also inherited the wonderful ability to talk with my hands. At least that's where I have been told that I get it from. Oh, and my vocabulary does consist of ain't, ya'll, and yonder.... :o).

diane said...

I sound totally like a surfer chick...from Minnesota.

I wish we could do lunch. Next time you are in So. Cal. fo sho.

Daphine said...

This was a great post! I too have actually wondered what my blogging buddies sound like. I have a southern accent. I like the idea of posting a video of us talking. That would be cool!

Congrats on your award!

Pedaling said...

i would love to hear a little video clip of you talking..
now that you brought it up, i'd like to hear all my fellow bloggers voices.
great idea'

Anonymous said...

How ironic & perfect that you wrote this post! I am struggling to adjust to the Kiwi accent that I hear all around me now. For some reason, I really don't like it now! Hopefully it will get better.

When I moved to CT, everyone used to tell me I sounded like I was from California. Now people just know I am from the U.S. --- something that NZ people aren't that thrilled about!

Davisix said...

My afavorite accenta is Italian, likea Luigi. Oh, not the kind of accent you were talking about? hehe

Great post! And I love me some Diet Coke...Caffeine Free that is.

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Hmmm...I don't really have an accent. At least not that I've noticed. I grew up waayyyy up NORTH (Alaska) so that could have something to do with it.

People around here (midwest) do have a funny accent- it's not super noticeable except they pluralize everything (as in "I'm going to Aldis" instead of going to Aldi).

Personally, I love southern accents. I think it has charming sound.

Ruby Red Slippers said...

In Michigan-we don't have an accent! (At least that's what I think...) I wish I had a southern one-they all sound so sweet-even when they're angry!
I like Coke-but not Diet! There is NO Pepsi here!

duchess said...

I'm a Southern girl who hardly ever pronounces a g on the end of anything but people do tell me I talk kind of fast to be from NC.

April said...

Oh, I'd definitely say that I have a Southern drawl. Remember, I grew up in Arkansas and have lived in the deep South ever since. I'll never forget when I was in college working toward my degree in speech pathology. I had a supervisor watching me work with children behind a two-way mirror. I said the word lawyer like "la-yer". That's just how I say it. Well, she pulled me to the side and said that I should get speech therapy to lose my southern accent because it might not go over too well in the working world. I took great offense to that because I am who I am! Needless to say, I still say "la-yer" and I've never had speech therapy!

Another word I pronounce makes my girls laugh...it's the word naked...I say, "necked". They think it's SO funny!

You'd probably think I'm a redneck hick if you ever heard me speak, but I'm well-educated...truly! Now, I need to git own out a here and open me sum winders so I can let them thar breezes blow in. Hee hee!!

Great post, Rae...congrats on your award...well-deserved!!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I used to love diet coke...in fact, I used to drink 2-3 a day. I haven't had one in three years! I gave up artificial sweeteners so now I drink lots of iced tea and water...and when I do have soda, I drink Dr. Pepper.

I've worked hard to lose my southern accent. I'm thinking it worked because when I tell people I'm from Arkansas, they usually seem surprised that I don't have an accent. I'm not a fan of the 'twang'. LOL!

heather said...

Ahh... I didn't even realize I HAD an accent until I was working in Connecticut. [Laughing] Those years were so fun! I was working in a restaurant that happened to be in a marina and I was telling someone something and I said "ya ought to" and then my boss was like: what about my yacht?

They gave me a hard time about my vowels too and some of my words. Sucker for example is a lolly-pop, not something dirty. :)

And after four summers I accidently slipped on day and said aunt the new england way to say it rather than the western way to say it which would be ant. And they cheered for me, and I was so angry that I said it that way!!

And I would love to have lunch with you! Over the phone OR in person. If I'm ever in the New England-ish (ah-hem CT) area again I'll let you know! For sure!

Lisa said...

Every time I read your blog I hear your voice! :) Another blogger frined of mine posted about this yesterday as well.

You knew me after I lost my Texas twang...but I've got stories!

Tara said...

Well, I'm born and raised west coast Cali girl...but live in the South (FL) now. I've been asked by many people since i've lived here in FL, "Are you from California?" and I always ask them, "how did you know?" And they say it's the way i talk and the things i say....i have no idea what that means!

i've never thought about it, but i think i naturally put a "voice" in each persons blog that i read....humm...I wonder if i'm even close...probably not.

PS. i'm 5 for 5 with you on things I love too...DiEt CoKe being numero uno!

Ellen said...

Awww, I wish you lived down South so we could do lunch! I would love to show off my Georgia drawl (which I guess has a bit of Tennessee drawl, too -- people say different Southern states have different Southern drawls, but I can't really tell a difference!). I am also intrigued by how you might sound!
I just love that blogging has introduced me to new friends from around the U.S. Maybe we can actually meet in person one of these days :)
Love ya!

Anonymous said...

That's funny bc I always wonder what people sound like. I once saw a fellow bloggers video and it sorta freaked me out bc she didn't sound anything like I thought she would. It changed everything! haha

The Berry's Patch said...

I don't think I have an accent but my brothers sure say dude a lot.

Anyway, how does next Wednesday at 12:30pm sound for lunch? Should I fly there or you flyin' here? ;-)

CatHerder said...

They must put something in the diet coke (and pepsi)..im hooked on either one with the vanilla in it...i have one in my hand all day long...and i think theyre making me GAIN weight!

Sandy said...

Oh ya, we'd make great friends for sure :)

KIM D said...

funny you bring this up. being a westerner and fast talker it seems a lot of new england folk don't understand me sometimes...like when i'm giving the announcements at church. i can't tell you how many times i have to repeat myself.

Scrapper Mom said...

Oh how I wish I really could hear your Northern accent AND do lunch.

Mine is most definitely as Southern as Southern gets! You know, I am from ARkanSAW, Ya'll!
ha. ha.

Good post.

Rhonda said...

This makes me laugh as I have now been living east coast for 11 years and still can not tell...unless it is think Brooklyn, Bronx, or Boston. Even then, there are different areas of Boston that have their very own dialect.

When we first came here, no one knew where my "accent" came from....good grief, can't people tell a Colorado accent? LOL

Great post.

Nancy said...

I'm a Californian through and through living in Kansas. I don't have a California surfer accent. I don't think I have an accent. Probably because all of Hollywood sounds like me. We visited Minnesota and S. Dakota this summer and I couldn't get over the accents. It was awesome.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Southern accent for sure for me.

My husband is from central Utah and his family sounds like a cross between a Minnisotan and Alabaman. My husband now sounds like a Texan.

His family always knows when it is me calling b/c according to them, I am the only one they know that uses the word "y'all".

Bless their hearts!

www.screweduptexan.com