Is it just me or do the holiday catalogs suck this year? So far the girls have looked through the Wal-Mart, Target and Toys R Us catalogs and each time they have put them down and said there's nothing that they want. Now before you jump to the wrong conclusion, no, my girls are not spoiled. Honest! They do not have every new toy or game that comes down the pike. In fact I say no quite often. The problem is the selection. It's all crap. Time to get creative!! Anyone have any ideas?
As far as JK goes he is easy peasy! Thomas all the way!! Thanks to A.C. Moore I am buying his Christmas gifts one week at a time. Each time I make a purchase they give me a 50% off coupon for the following Saturday. Works for me!






25 tweets and twitters:
Ahh, the joys of christmas shopping. Alos, hope DK gets over the rare tropical disease!
New background and stuff looks good. Likey!
I'm not impressed with many of the ones I've received in the mail this year. I think the prices have gone up on cheaply made items.
Any ideas for a 18 and 16 year old? UGH!
Jo
Almost done with ours - YIPEEEE!! That "extra" paycheck last week was what done it - Conner is Thomas (or Geo Trax) all the way also - Cassie Barbie, Littlest Pet Shop, Disney Fairies, Puppy in my Pocket, I could go on and on - a combination for her!!
Have fun - love the new look and am glad you are back!!
PN
Hey Rae! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I was so excited that you did!!
I am not a catalog shopper. I have to touch it, see it, smell it. And I am about the least creative person I know.
Boy, I'm just no help at all, am I? Lol
I am new to your blog. Made the mistake of clicking on Thomas with my 4 year old by me...I bet you know what he has done all day..I want this and that and oh that.
I wondered..when you posted about the 50% coupon ...is that if you order online?
I am enjoying reading about you and your family.
Amy
Google 'quality toy catalogs'. The girls may find something cool and unique that way.
American Girl doll stuff and craft supplies are what I'm thinking for my girls.
I think my kiids have so much- and many times don't play with it all. Balls, art supplies are what we always need...I might stick to that and not do too much...
I really had a hard time for my daughter when she was that age. She wasn't really "into" anything. Good luck. I thought the catalogs this year sucked as well.
PS. The boys always get legos & the big gift this year is a basketball hoop.
I agree totally!! This year has been hard pulling things out for my kids...my girls just say baby dolls but oh my not more???
-sandy toe
I have the big Kids 21 & 26. One thng they will be getting is a stock the pantry box, but that won't work for your guys, all the same I am looking for creative ideas too. Those 50% coupons sound great. Have a blessed weekend. Jackie
Unfortunately I can't help you on this one. I seem to be childless, LOL! I can imagine your dilemma though. I hope you figure something out.
I don't have kids... so I'm not much help. Are they crafty like you? Do they want to re-do their rooms, or do some kind of project? Do they like to make jewelry or would they be interested in special lessons of some kind? What about tickets to something or someplace?? I don't know how old they are? Are they in that not quite a kid -not quite a teen stage??
I know what you mean! I've been getting the Hearthsong and Magic Cabin catalogues and they seem to have neat things (and customer service is great too!).
Im going to AC Moore for our eldest girl...shes really getting into drawing...and hopefully a doll house for the younger one...and some other things here and there.
This is a tough one for me. We have two teenagers and one at the very edge of playing with toys. We have no money. So I have no idea what I'm going to get them! Lots of love, anyway.
Love the 50% coupons! I have no other ideas right now for your older girls, we were thinking a little plastic slide from craigslist (ha!) for our little guy, or some blocks, or a car, ha! That doesn't help you at all!
I haven't found one thing in the catalogs this year! I depend on those for help!
My kids are older. I think I am going to do a gift card tree this year for them! That way they can get what they want. I'll put like gas cards, movie cards, store cards, food cards, and so forth. Have them color coded so that everyone gets one in that color (dollar amount.) Put them in cute little envelopes with ribbon tied to the tree! Course the grand kids will get presents!
Rae,
One thing Abby really enjoyed a few years back was an ant farm that came with light that illuminated the gel that the ants made tunnels through (not the typical sand). It was the coolest thing and we all sat around and watched the ants continuously. I ordered it from Amazon.com. A huge hit!!
Finding presents is always a difficult thing. Thankfully my little one is still too young to be very discriminating in what she gets - which is going to be Thomas too!
All my daughter wants is a Nintendo DS, money, gift cards, a cupcake maker, American Girl clothes, High School Musical 3 loot and three more pages of stuff... yeah she doesn't want much. My son, bless his heart wants BADLY to go see Twilight with mom... LOL all he knows is that it has vampires in it - I think he would be disappointed!
Geez, I didn't think of spoiled at all! I've seen every single one of those catalogs and I agree, it's all crap! There's really nothing in there that's worth spending the money on that they want. I'm having a hard time with Natalie this year and I really don't know what to get Jonah either. Natalie and Jonah BOTH love the Thomas trains though, so I imagine we'll be getting more of those. MY wishlist this year though is pretty astronomical. lol
We're in a bind, too. Bryce isn't sure what he wants. He loves books though and I can't go wrong there. He also loves anything crafty or Legos. Caroline is cake~ I can get her little girly things and we're set! We are paring down this year big time though. Too many BIG 'OTT' Christmas' in the past so maybe it's a good thing there isn't a lot Bryce is into this year??? I hope you sort it out soon hun! Boy it's that time to start thinking about it all and buying now, isn't it?
Hey, you mentioned Thoma for JK. Bryce used to love those battery powered Thomas and friends trains. Does JK like those? Fun, fun, fun!
Hugs, Les
I think I got Hearthsong in the mail and liked it. I am almost finished with my kids, but then, we only get them 4 gifts. Three for the Three Wise Men and one from Santa. Jackson wanted a Kung Fu action figure set. Lilly wants some water baby and Barbie Christmas movie. Basically, whatever Nick Jr. tells her she wants. Oh the joys of cable tv!! Oh, and last year she got that hideous Baby Alive. Thankfully she gave it to one of her friends. She was like Chucky's sister.
Elise
I also feel you can't go wrong with arts and crafts stuff. I actually want to get each of my children a box with scrapbook paper, punches(they love those) and other stuff-that way they can craft alongside their momma.
I think it's wonderful that they don't know what they want. Or put a different way, it's great that they have learned the art of discrimination between quality and junk at a young age. I would take the teaching opportunity to praise them for being patient until they internally discover what they really want for themselves. What they really want usually comes organically as they live their everyday life. For example, my oldest daughter has her own greeting card business, and she would love card making supplies. My middle daughter is a dog lover, and she wants anything to help her dog have a happier life.
Personally, I've never given my daughters a catalog to look at to determine what they want, because for them, it usually ends up being a contrived want's list. Instead, I allow the wants to unfold naturally. If they don't have a burning desire for something, why not tell them that this year will be a surprise year, and Mom and Dad will find some amazing surprises. Hmm.. What if you make it a "Gratitude Christmas," and instead of asking for things, you just get to be grateful for what shows up. That would be fun!
Time to be a mommy. Happy gift selection!
Post a Comment