I need sleep. No matter how hard I try to fight it my body demands at least 8 hours of sleep a night. If I foolishly decide to stay up til midnight or heaven forbid 1:00 in the morning for several days in a row my body decides to shut down. My head starts to throb, my throat aches and I sleep for hours on end. After 36-48 hours I'm fine and back to normal....until I do it all over again. It's a curse I tell ya! So here I am in bed with a headache and sore throat. I slept for 4 hours yesterday afternoon and went to bed right after dinner last night. I woke up at 7 this morning but am still exhausted.
There is this woman in town who I have dubbed Super Woman. She is able to do everything imaginable. Years ago I asked her how she does it. She's one of those people who needs very little sleep to function. 4-5 hours a night. That's it! How marvelous. Think of all I could get done if I too only needed 4 hours of sleep a night. I would be Super Woman, too! I want to be Super Woman! So I try to be Super Woman and then I pay for it in the end.
Week 38--Maymee's Big Trip, part 1
-
I need to leave this post short and sweet. This was my big trip to Amaan
to visit Maddy and Mason who just welcomed their second daughter. They are
the...





23 tweets and twitters:
No no no no...I could never do that! There is NO WAY I could function on just 4-5 hours of sleep. Was she for real? Maybe there are people out there that can function on that little bit of sleep but some how I think your body needs more down time than that.
It's a family curse since I too need a ton of sleep each night. Gotta get our zzzzz's!
Actually 4-5 hours is not good for your health. In fact, adults need 7-9 hours of sleep each night. There are studies that show people live longer when they have at least 7 hours of sleep each night. I would love to get more done but not at the expense of my health. Besides, I love sleeping in on the weekends. :-)
It is a curse. I seem to need way more than even 8 hours. I do stay up late, but I tell you, I'm right back in bed for a nap as soon as I get the kids shipped off to school. And today....well, Sunday afternoon is always my nap time!
I wish I could be better, but I'm learning to accept it!!
Wow, I'm not the only one whose immune system goes haywire if I dare to get less than the requisite number of hours of sleep for more than two days in a row. Usually for me its a headache and an instant fever. And with a son who didn't sleep through the night until he was two, I stayed sick almost constantly! Hope you get to feeling better.
BTW - a girl we knew in high school (a rather prominent state representative these days) used to only need 3-5 hours of sleep a night. I wonder if she's still the same way...
You're not kidding us, you are superwoman!
I can live off of 6 hours. Working third shift and trying to enjoy my weekends brought that on. Any less than that and I become a little witch to live with. We all can't be superwoman. I wish I could be too!
Rae,
I'm like you...I need my sleep, too, and if I don't get, at least, 8 hours of sleep each night, I sure pay the price...so does everyone around me. I don't feel well and I can be downright crabby. So, I gave up the idea of trying to be Super Woman a long, long time ago. I'm just ME and that's enough to make myself happy, as well as those around me.
Have you heard Super Woman by Alicia Keyes? It's my anthem. Even if I have to sing it from a horizontal position.
well said!
I think you ARE super. You know yourself and your limitations. You work within those limitations, and, from what I can see from your blog, you accomplish an amazing amount of things. Your are a great example to me. So don't go trying to be more super and getting all sick and then not posting for days - that would be horrible!
Totally know what you mean. My first year in college I slept through the entire Thanksgiving break trying to catch up on all the lack of sleep. Sadly now I feel like I need even more than 8 hours a night.
oh, I am so with you honey on this one! I hate it too, but I do it ALL the time! Not sure how to end the cycle are you? let me know if you can figure this one out!
and I just saw the Carolina Moma button. talk to me about it. Is it a group, someone's button, what?
I need my sleep too! I can't wake up at five-ever!!! I am a night owl, though!
Oh Rae, I'm so sorry your not feeling well. I am JUST like YOU! It is a joke in our family because we are all in bed by 9:00....all 6 of us! Yea, I may MANAGE to stay up until 10:00 but that's pushing it. I do get up early though, I guess that's why. Hope your back to your old self tomorrow. xoxo Ang
I stayed up until 12:45 Thursday, and had to sub on Friday. It has been a long time since I have done that, and boy did I pay for it. I know what you mean. Jackie
Don't fight it, just accept it. We need our sleep! And you really don't want to keep shorting yourself on sleep and end up really sick, right? So go snooze away!
I am very similar. My magic number is seven and one half though. If I do not follow this, I can fully expect to get sick, excessively tired, and/or very very cranky.
feel the same way. after a few nights of staying up really late, i start getting very crabby :) grrrr
I hope that you're feeling better and completely rested today!
It took some time, but after moving to CA, I gave up trying to do everything. I just do what I can and I'm okay with it. I don't know if it was the change in the girl's ages that changed things or just where we lived or what. It just got harder.
Yep....I NEED 7-8, but only get about....5 on average. You're not alone....i love the hours of 10pm to midnight...my only quiet time!!
Just catching up on my blog reading and had to leave a comment on this one. I'm right there with ya on this one. For the last few days I've been walking around like a zombie -- because I'm not getting the 8 hours I need a night. But, how am I supposed to get everything done?!? Like you, I often fantasize about being one of those people who can get by on 5 hours a night. Just think of all the stuff I could accomplish! :)
Post a Comment