10.24.2008

Once There Was a Snowman

Since the weather has started turning chilly I have collected all the throws and quilts from around the house and put them in a basket within easy reach 0f the couches. This is the quilt I grab when I sit down to read, blog or watch tv. 

I've had this quilt for 11 years this coming Christmas. My mother bought this snowman quilt for me after I showed her the "most amazing quilt I've ever seen" in a catalog. That Christmas I was shocked and surprised beyond words when I opened up my gift and saw the snowmen peeking out at me. I was over the moon. I was collecting snowmen (at that time!!) and thought the quilt was the perfect crowning jewel to my collection. I proudly displayed it on my couch yet was afraid to use it in case anything might happen to it!

Fast forward 11 years and how things have changed! First, my taste in decorating has changed...A LOT! When I was first married and decorating my nest I gravitated to a lot of the primitive Country stylings and had TONS of accessories EVERYWHERE. Now, I'm not sure how I would describe my taste. An eclectic mix of side of the road finds, modern clean lines, pops of color and a minimalistic approach when it comes to chachkies?  Yeah, that sounds about right! Needless to say, my snowman quilt is no longer prominently displayed but it is still well loved and in demand on a chilly day!

JK curled up with the snowmen!

It will be interesting to see how my decorating tastes change in the years to come!

post signature

17 tweets and twitters:

Merand said...

It is funny how our decorating tastes change (shall I say, mature) as we get older. I LOVE your decorating style now and get so much inspiration from you (which you already know)! And I'll bet that quilt is perfectly soft and fluffy now after all these years.

Scrapper Mom said...

At least you have decorating taste. I'm not sure what I have exactly. lol.

Rachel Berry said...

I'm with scrapper mom I'm not to sure of my own decor style. I just buy what I love I guess. :) But I do have a mix of some primitive, (hence the stichery) with more.....See I don't even know what to call my style.

Carry Grace said...

There is nothing like an old soft quilt!

My decorating style has changed dramatically too. I like the way you defined yours. I still haven't been able to put mine into words.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

That looks like a perfect quilt to curl up with on chilly evenings...even more special that it was made just for you!

Beth at Aunties said...

It is amazing how tastes change over the years, but warm snuggly quilts will always be favorites.
Cute pictures!

Susan said...

JK was just looking over my shoulder as I read this post. He saw your little man and said this "Wow. He's big. We need to plan a trip..." and as he's walking away he says slightly under his breath "in a few years"

So, maybe soon we'll get back home to visit! His comment sounded promising?!

and yes, it seems your style has changed a bit, but I think the quilt is cute, and probably holds some dear memories of when you were first married.

Marla said...

I can admit it too...i was once a snowman collector!

I love the new look!

The Berry's Patch said...

Oh, if only I had pictures of my decorating years ago. We could all sit and laugh at it.

JK looks so cozy with the snowman quilt. You should save it for him and give it to him when he has children. :-)

diane said...

I love the picture of your little man snuggled up with the snowman.

We redecorate my daughter's room every 2 years. I blame it on Trading Spaces. Hopefully, we are done til she goes to college.

Ruby Red Slippers said...

I keep blankets and quilts out too in the winter! Love the snowman quilt!

Anonymous said...

That blanket looks so cozy. I love curling up in a warm blanket! Your little boy is the cutest!

Pedaling said...

sometimes i feel my decorating taste changes daily, which can be quite frustrating, not to mention, expensive.

the quilt looks like it is serving it's purpose and in it's day, i'm sure it rocked!

Carolina Mama said...

Too sweet. You can see he just loves it!

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

who would have thought when you got that as a gift that long ago that you would have a son who would love it so much! I just love stories like this!

Lipstick said...

Love the favorite quilt...I have a pile of blankets on the couch too. Highly personal-I have my favorite and Mr. Lipstick has his...and we do not switch.

Also funny about the change in decorating style. I used to like lots and lots of accessories around. Now I like it simpler with more clean lines.

CMB said...

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. My decorating style has also evolved over the years! We have a favorite blanket in our house that is now designated as the "sick blanket" that my kids all like to use when they aren't feeling well.