9.23.2008

State of Neglect

What happens when all the gardening enthusiasm I felt in the spring is completely depleted?

Four very weedy, overgrown vegetable plots!

Good thing the plants are so resilient!
Here's one of my pepper plants plugging away.

I was able to clear out three of the four plots
(all of you professional gardeners out there...don't make fun of how small they are...it's a start!)

When I was cleaning up my tools and going inside, my neighbor next door was leaving and gave me a thumbs up. That was a lot better than the nasty looks they've been giving me lately. I know they were wondering when I was going to get my bum in gear and clean up my act!

This same neighbor ended up giving me a wonderful unexpected gift without even knowing it. Once I cleared all the weeds out of my cucumber plot I found these happy Brown Eyed Susans. They have these flowers planted on the side of their house and it looks like some of their seeds blew over into my plot!

I will transplant them to my perennial garden and enjoy them for years to come. Ha!
I deserve a small reward for putting up with their mean looks and judgmental ways!

My flower gardens always fair much better than my vegetable plots. For some reason they are just easier to take care of and maintain. Look at this mum I bought last year. It was discounted because it was about to wither away and die.

It's grown so big I'm having trouble trying to keep it from choking out my other plants!
Crazy mum!

17 tweets and twitters:

April said...

I wish I had a spot for a veggie garden. Living in the suburbs of a big city doesn't leave a lot of free turf to do planting of any kind. One of these days, I'm heading back to the country!

Your mum looks about like all of mine. You'd think with the drought we've had for so long, the things would just curl up and die. They've held on and are healthier and bigger than ever. One good thing about them is they're so easy to care for. Can't really complain, I guess.

Ruby Red Slippers said...

Hello! I spent time weeding my HUSBAND's garden, and clearing it out to till under for winter! (He owes me one!) Yours looks well cared for, and the flowers are beautiful.

Annikke said...

I have zero gardening skills but my husband wants us to try again next spring. I can't get a single thing to grow usually!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for dropping by. I hope the girls enjoy the project. The metallic markers are always a big hit and once the project is over they will probably want to use them all the time! I know mine do!

Shell in your Pocket said...

Don't you just love neighbors..they don't have to say anything but you know what they are thinking! Well, it looks great now and the flowers are beautiful!
-Sandy toes

Shell in your Pocket said...

Sorry...two postings...I added you to my blog list...hope that is okay!
Sandy toes

Unknown said...

everything looks greats that mum is huge!

diane said...

I'm so happy you got to talk to Merrilee. Just wish I could meet you.
Fresh veggies YUM! Beautiful flowers.

Merand said...

Good job! The plots look great and your mum is amazing. Most times, mums won't come back another year so kudos to you! Plus, you've gotta love the black eyed susans. Free flowers! Today must have been the clean up the garden day - me too!

Kim said...

Love your plants.... it always feels so good to get projects like this done!

duchess said...

Goodbye springtime garden.
You've been retired until next year.
Let's go find some pumpkins & I love those huge mums.

...for all eternity said...

Love it! Good job and double thumbs up! Your garden is better than mine, I don't have one!!!

Twice as Nice said...

That's what my garden looks like!! I'm surprised the neighbors will even talk to us. HE HE

SavvyGirl said...

Hey Robin -- just came over to say hello. Looks like you have been one busy girl! glad you got to meet Merilee. She is one amazing woman, isn't she -- her energy is boundless. Hope all is well with you.

The Farmer's Wife said...

I am in garden transition at the moment as well....clearing out the old...bringing in the new....This is exactly why Fall is a lovely time...we all need a rest from gardening for awhile!

Christy said...

Don't laugh at your garden? I COVET your garden - especially after it's weeded! Our garden did terribly this year - the only thing that grew were pumpkins - which we didn't "plant" - my son just threw the seeds on the top of the ground last fall, and the plants took off this summer. Now, the plants that we carefully planted and tended - something happened to them - the leaves died. The few tomatoes and cucumbers we got tasted terrible, and the peppers never grew. So I covet your garden - especially that pepper!

The Berry's Patch said...

I'm jealous! I wish I had room for a garden. I would plant all sorts of veggies and fruit. :-)