6.10.2008

Wondering Minds Want to Know

After receiving many e-mails asking questions about Buckwheat, our pet bunny, I have decided to dedicate a post exclusively to him. I am also linking this post to Lara's Talk About Tuesday. Make sure you make a trip over to her blog and read about her hatching baby chicks! That is going to be ME next year!!!

Buckwheat is a Mini-Rex. This breed of rabbit makes for a fabulous pet. They only grow to be 3-4 pounds and are generally very friendly. They can be kept indoors or outdoors (as long as the proper accommodations are provided). They have a medium level of activity, and can be perfectly content to play or to just sit on a lap and be petted. Petting this breed of rabbit is so rewarding because they are extremely soft, like velvet!


Buckwheat is currently 5 months old. He was 2 months old when we got him. He was so tiny he could fit in the palms of our hands. We purchased him from a local farmer whose daughter raises and sells bunnies.


Here is Buckwheat's cage. This is where he stays when we leave the house and go to bed for the night. He also spends some time in here when he is in "time out". I'll get to that in a minute...

I clean out the cage every morning and give Buckwheat fresh litter & hay

Buckwheat eats rabbit pellets and Timothy hay every day. He also enjoys apple slices and carrot sticks.

Where does he go potty? See the triangle litter box in the back right corner? Ta-da! That's where he does his business. No matter where he is in the house he'll go to his cage to go potty. I did not do anything to train him except provide the litter and the box. Bucks taught himself.

As mentioned above, Mini Rex bunnies are VERY friendly. Buckwheat HATES being in his cage when we are home. If he is in his cage and the door is not secured he pushes it until it falls down and he can get out. If he wants some lovin' he comes over and tickles your toes until you pick him up or bend down to give him a tummy rub.

Buckwheat needs the occasional time out. He likes to chew things...mainly cords and paper. If a book is left out where he can grab it it's a goner. He's also chewed through several lamp and phone cords. Sigh..... The "experts" say to spray water in their faces when you catch them chewing. This does not work for Buckwheat. He could care less about getting wet. What's most effective is a time out in his cage. It's the craziest thing. He also knows when he's doing something he shouldn't. When I catch him chewing something he goes a-runnin'! When the girls see Buckwheat in his cage they ask me, "Mom? Is Buckwheat in time out?" Too funny!

The Engineer bunny-proofing the house

The weather has been grossly hot the past few days (we'll reach 97 degrees today and keep in mind, I live in the East where it is HUMID!!!). Bucks has been finding the cool places to hang out. These are his two current favorite spots.

The brick in the fireplace feels nice and cool

When the A/C is on Bucks likes to be right next to a vent...smart bunny!

Does Buckwheat smell? Absolutely not. As sad as this may sound, if he did, he would not be in my house! His little poop balls have no odor and the litter I use (sanitized dried corn cobs) absorbs any urine smell. Bucks' fur doesn't have any odor. It's the weirdest thing. Every time I bury my face in his fur I expect to smell something but never do.

We would like to start taking Buckwheat for walks outside but we first need to purchase one of these:


We will NOT be purchasing one of THESE:

15 tweets and twitters:

Jen Stewart said...

What a cool idea for a pet. I'm all inspired now with your bunny and Lazy's chickens. I'm feeling all left out with my boring cat!

Love your green house!

Rach (Mommy Learns to Blog) said...

How cute - it's like having a little dog, only more novel! What a little sweetie he is!

Anonymous said...

He is probably the most adorable rabbit I have ever seen. I want to squeeze him. :)

Nancy said...

You've almost convinced me to get a bunny. We tried fish and they all died off in two weeks. We're not yet to cats and dogs. A bunny however... maybe someday, especially if it's like Buckwheat.

Traci said...

How convienant that he potty-trained himself. Does he shed at all?
What a great pet idea for sure! One day!!! We have a dog and 2 hamsters, so that keeps be busy enough.
Thanks for posting all the fun info on a great pet!

Anonymous said...

We tried a rabbit once, but he was too anxious around us, and didn't like to be pet, held, or handled at all. We only had him for a couple of months. Maybe we'll give it another shot if we can find one as friendly as yours.

Story Family said...

What a cute little bunny. Gotta love something so sweet and furry.

Beautiful home! I have to keep reminding myself...someday...someday. Someday I will do a whole room from Pottery Barn.

And cute hair! I'm going to have to check out that blog. My little gal is lucky to get hers combed everyday!

Richelle said...

Cute bunny! Do people really buy a fancy stroller like that for their pet! :)

Lisa said...

While looking at the Lazy Organizer's blog, I decided to click on the links she had today. I immediately recognized your hard at work husband, and your cute kids and then of course-you all the way at the bottom. Long time no talk. (Since Erie, PA):) Fun to read what you've been up to.

I read your post about having the courage to leave a comment on a long ago friend's blog and laughed. I'm a bit nervous to do the same.

So--hey! How are you?

Party of 5 said...

Oh come on you know you want the stroller. LOL That or use JK's old one.

Cute bunny

Pedaling said...

what a great pet.
i had no idea
bunnies were so wonderful and clean and non stinky!!
he's adorable!

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

No stink at all? Wow, I never would have guessed that! My children are deprived (ha!!) and have no pets. We do have bunnies who visit our backyard though. They love seeing those bunnies!

http://frillsfluffandtrucks.blogspot.com

~Sarah

Lipstick said...

what a cute little bunny! when I was growing up we had this absolutely huge and obese rabbit. I don't remember much about it except that I kept changing its name and that mostly we called it The Rabbit. BTW, I tagged you! Have fun!

Lisa said...

This is the first post I've ever read about a bunny and I have to say, you make having a bunny seem like a breeze. We are still petless--except the salt water tank we inherited when we moved here. Very cute!

Ellen said...

Awww, Buckwheat is precious! Now I want to go out and buy a bunny :)
By the way, wanted you to know that you make my day and you've been tagged -- see my blog!