5.01.2008

Setting the Record Straight

WHICH IS NOT PART OF
The Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (FLDS)

Please check out this post at The Gab Blog! Some of you may have seen this circulating around via e-mail. It is powerful, precise and 100% accurate!

Dancing Queen has a really great post concerning Carolyn Jessop's book, Escape. And speaking of Escape, it is a fabulous book that I whole heartedly recommend.

You may think I'm behind the times to be blogging about this subject so many weeks after the raid of the YFZ Ranch in Eldorado, Texas. The thing is, I was just asked today by my neighbor (who is also my friend, our girl's go to school together and we lead their Brownie troop together) how my church was handling the fall-out of the "mess down in Texas". The poor, sweet dear thought I belonged to that church! PLEASE, NO!! Let me tell you something.......

-The church I belong to does NOT believe in or practice polygamy (please see Clarifying Polygamy Confusion for further details)
-The church I belong to does NOT believe the only way a woman can enter into heaven is through her "priesthood head"
-The church I belong to does NOT believe any type of abuse is permissible. In fact, the LDS church issued an official declaration, "The Family: A Proclamation to the World,"back in 1995. In this proclamation it specifically states, "Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, to teach them to love and serve one another, to observe the commandments of God and to be law-abiding citizens wherever they live...We warn that individuals who violate covenants of chastity, who abuse spouse or offspring, or who fail to fulfill family responsibilities will one day stand accountable before God...." 

Some of the strongest and most outspoken women I know are members of the LDS church. This is something completely forbidden in the FLDS religion. It is not okay to speak your mind or do anything contrary to your husband's wishes. If anything, as a woman, you are to be in "perfect obedience" to your husband and know exactly what his desires are without him voicing them. If something "bad" happens to you (like you get a cold!) God is punishing you because you are not in harmony with your husband. You have sinned. You must repent. You are always wrong. You have no worth. And on it goes....

Okay. Enough of that. I'm done. Thank you for letting me get this off of my chest. I feel tons better!

2 tweets and twitters:

Karin said...

I'm glad you recommended 'Escape'. I've been meaning to read it. Carolyn Jessop has been on the news quite a bit because of the whole Arizona connection. She's an amazing lady. About a year ago a local news guy, Mike Watkiss, did a special on Colorado City -- not sure if it made it nation wide, but it was very good. I feel so bad for all the kids and their moms. Totally Amazing that this still is going on in 2008.

On a totally different topic -- not happy that our little Arizona girl, Brooke, was sent home last night :-(. Should have sent Syesha home. I'll never win the AI Pool now.

Christy said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I've felt the need to bring up this subject on my blog as well, since I do have family that are not LDS that do read it sometimes. I just didn't know how to approach it. But now I will be putting a link to THIS post. Thank you for being our "voice". (You are very good at that, by the way - I liked your letter to the editor.)