4.25.2008

Lasik Surgery

The FDA is looking into patient's complaints concerning Lasik surgery.

"About 700,000 Americans a year undergo the elective laser surgery. Like golf star and famed Lasik recipient Tiger Woods (I went to TLC....same as Tiger), they're hoping to throw away their glasses, just as the ads say.

And while the vast majority benefit — most see 20-20 or even better — about one in four people who seeks Lasik is not a good candidate, and a small fraction suffer serious, life-changing side effects: worse vision, severe dry eye, glare, inability to drive at night."

To read the entire article, click here.

I am thrilled to say I have had Lasik surgery and have had ZERO issues or problems. It will be 3 years in June (can you believe that, Susan?)In fact, right after the procedure I sat up in the chair and could clearly see the clock across the room! AMAZING!!! I must admit it was a little bit scary signing waivers saying if I went blind from the operation the vision center would not be held responsible. BLIND? Uhhhhhh..............

Every morning I wake up and still marvel that I can see without the aid of my contacts or glasses. Especially now, during allergy season, I am 100% grateful to not be dealing with itchy watery eyes and contacts. What a relief!

Lasik is NOT for everyone! In fact I checked out 4 different centers before deciding on TLC. I was not at all pleased with some of the places I checked out. They were extremely pushy and very lax in their exams. If you are looking into Lasik, DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

So, WOULD you or WOULDN'T you?
Have you ever RESEARCHED Lasik in the past?
Is MONEY a consideration as to why you WOULDN'T?
Wondering minds want to know.......

6 tweets and twitters:

Erica said...

I would LOVE to have Lasik. I dream of being able to wake up in the morning (or middle of the night) and SEE what time it is. All I get now is a blurry bunch of numbers. Money is the ONLY reason I haven't done it yet. Whenever that is not a concern, I will have it done.

Tricia said...

My husband got it in January of this year. It has been AWESOME. Totally life-changing for him. We also went to TLC and had a great experience. He went to the eye dr. today and is still seeing 20/20.

Traci said...

Interesting taht the FDA is looking into this about LASIK patients, I had no idea. I actually worked in 2 surgery centers with eye dr's doing LASIK. One in Utah and one in Pennsylvania. I have good eyesight as well as my hubby, so we didn't get to take advantage of getting LASIK for next to nothing. I think it's a great idea for people that need it and like you said- you should do your homework before getting it done for sure!!!

Anonymous said...

I have thought about it but aren't sure their is enough long term (like 25 plus years) history to really make me want to do it, Oh and the money thing of course!! And I don't really want to see what time it is when I wake up in the middle of the night because then I will know exactly how much sleep I am loosing! - NOT FUN!!

PN

Merand said...

I would love to have it done but I've never looked into it seriously. I know a few people who have had it done and have only heard good things from them. My biggest hold-up is money. BUT if I really was serious, we'd probably come up with it. Every now and then I get squeamish, thinking of the details and the risks, but I think I would still have it done. No more contacts, no more glasses, to see without squinting? What a beautiful thing!

Lisa said...

Don so wants this!! I will tell him you did it. He is dying to get it done!