3.28.2008

Buckwheat Goes to School

This morning I brought Kenners and Buckwheat to school. She has been begging me all week to bring that silly little bunny in and her teacher said Friday would work great. We walked into the classroom and were the only ones there. While I was getting Buckwheat set up Kenners' classmates started coming in and oohing and aahing over the bunny. Well, they weren't actually oohing and aahing. They were "Oh my God-ing". I could not believe how many times I heard that expression from those little 6 and 7 year olds. I was irritated, discouraged and baffled. How in the world do my girls NOT say "God" when they hear it day in and day out all day long? How grateful I am that they understand the importance of not taking the Lord's name in vain!


This is just another reason to add to my "Why I Should Homeschool" list. My plan all along has been to start homeschooling the girls once they begin Jr. High. That is only 2 more years for Rand. But I have also realized that even the best laid plans change on a dime. Last year at this time I thought I was going to have to yank Rand out of school and start homeschooling right away. One never knows what tomorrow may bring!

3 tweets and twitters:

Anonymous said...

Sad state of affairs - you can't go anywhere it seems without hearing it!!
Homeschooling - Cassie is too strong willed - my head is not that hard!!

PN

...for all eternity said...

I go in and help in SLC's kindergarten class and on one occation I overheard a conversation between 2 little girls. One said "oh my g.." and the other told her, "Don't say that, that's a bad word." I got caught with a smile and nodding my head when the little girl said, "See, she says it's bad too!" I was waiting for a rebuke from an angry parent but it never came. Another time I went in to her class and another child said it and again, I was amazed. A different child tapped her on the shoulder and said, "Don't say that, that's bad." I was very impressed with these little ones that do know right from wrong and aren't afraid to just point blank say, "Don't say that." I wish I wasn't ashamed or afraid to correct others. It truely is like a little sting every thime I hear it. When SLC tells me how her friends use the Lords name in vain it launches a good conversation about how disrespectful it is and then sent her back to the world to hope the lesson stuck.

Jen said...

It's amazing the things that are deemed o.k. today. Someone wispered a very bad word into Ethan's ear at school he had never heard the word so he just repeated it. I was so shocked! I couldn't beleive that a 5 year old would ever say such a thing.