1.07.2008

What's for Dinner?

I think I will be alone in this one but I truly do not enjoy cooking. Oh, you may not enjoy it either but would you rather clean than cook? That's the boat I'm in. Anyone with me?

vs.



I have tried and tried to become a more enthusiastic cook with my latest idea being a flat screen TV in the kitchen so I can watch cooking shows and become inspired. I love the idea of making healthy and delicious meals for my family. I grew up with a mother who cooked most nights of the week and we would all sit down together and partake. I'm on board 100%. So what's the problem? First, I hate the time it takes to cook a meal. Second, I hate the mess it makes. Third, I hate how fast the dinner is gobbled up compared to the time spent making it. Fourth, I'm left with the cleanup after dinner is over. I know, I know. The benefits far outweigh the inconsequential and petty complaints listed above. I absolutely agree! But now, I have one last problem: I am an uninspired cook. I can sit and rack my brain for great dinner ideas and come up empty handed. Zilch. Zippo. I watch the shows, I read the books and magazine and of course try to pattern myself after friends and family. It's still not happening!

So, dear readers, this year (as in every year for the past 13) I plan on becoming a more dedicated cook for myself and my family. But this year I am not setting a goal or resolution to do so. Instead, I am following the advice and footsteps of my sister-in-law and making it a possibility. It IS possible that I become a gourmet cook. It just might not be completed this year....this might be the first step in this lifelong quest.

4 tweets and twitters:

Susan said...

I love cooking just as much as cleaning. I guess that means that the mess after dinner isn't a problem for me. Actually, seeing that you LOVE cleaning, shouldn't the after-dinner mess NOT be a problem?! Oh Robin, you do make me laugh sometimes.

I think you are an amazing cook. But I understand the not wanting to do it every night, and the whole "I put so much effort in, why are you gobbling it down so fast?" thing. But just try and see the positive: your family is together and it helps your kids out immensely. You can do it!! You are a real-life Wonder Woman!

Jen said...

I love cooking and hate cleaning..like you I too and trying to be quick to obsvere the good habits of my good friend who loves to exercise and clean!

Andy said...

One word... Crock pot! (Ok, that's two.) Seriously. And make sure it's the kind that can go in the dishwasher. If I can't make it in mine, I don't make it. Nothing like dumping frozen chicken in first thing in the morning, and coming home to a meal at 4:00!

Cheryl said...

I love cooking. You clean my house and I will cook for you. Haha. You should check out kraftfoods.com. The recipes aren't gourmet, but they are yummy and relatively simple. And you can find some that don't take very long to make. Or sometimes, I do the food prep while the kids nap and then it's just a matter of throwing everything together and cooking it later. It still takes the same time, but splits it up. And making a menu for a week or two really helps. No one wants to cook dinner when you're still deciding what to make at 5 pm.