1.07.2008

What's for Dinner? Addendum

After making a fabulous dinner tonight I sat down with my darling family only to be reminded of reason #6 for not wanting to cook. The "Eeeeeeewwwwww, I don't like that!!!!!!!!!" being expressed from my opinionated children. After slaving away to make this meal I am greeted with that response. Hmm, not quite the reaction I was looking for! Don't they know there are children in the world starving or even those that count their blessings to find scraps to eat? Don't they know they should be grateful for the bounty set before them? Aren't I raising them to be thankful for all the blessings in their lives, including food they don't like? And why, oh why, did they not take after their father who eats ANYTHING and EVERYTHING and never complains???!!!

P.S. In case you were thinking my sweet cherubs went off to bed hungry, no worries. The brownies I made for Family Home Evening were received with open arms and rave reviews.

3 tweets and twitters:

Susan said...

A quick fix for that "ew" factor: give them a portion of dessert equal to the amount of food they ate.
At our house it's mandatory to take one bite of each dish. If they really don't like it then they don't have to eat it, but most of the time it turns out they like it and gobble it up.

Erica said...

I hear you Rob. Since Bryan has been deployed, I gave up cooking. So, the kids have been loving dinner that consist of pizza, hot dogs, spaghetti O's and the such. It is the most frustrating thing to cook a well balanced dinner that is super yummy and then three frowning faces look up and go "Yuck." I with the dessert trick that Susan mentioned would work here. Too bad my children are the most stubborn on earth. They would rather go hungry than try something they deem Yucky. Sigh. Maybe one day we will figure out what to do with them. Until then, we can commiserate together!

Christy said...

Hi Robin. My answer of choice when asked What's for dinner?" is "Yuck, I hate it." I got that idea from a cookbook entitled "One Bite Won't Kill You". One thing that helps my kids, and I have no idea why, is to post the menu for the week on the fridge. Something about their being able to process the info ahead of time - I guess it helps them digest better... From Jen's church friend (former book club member), Christy.