12.22.2010

Picture Woes

In addition to the holiday stresses (though I must say I'm not stressing much...things are in good shape for Christmas) I have been stressing over today. It's picture day. Driver's License Picture Day. Time to get my license renewed and offer a desperate plea that my picture won't be utterly atrocious. I have seriously been stressing over this since I received my renewal notice in the mail two months ago. Sad, huh?


This morning, before putting on my makeup and doing my hair, I googled "Driving License Photo Tips" hoping to stumble upon a sure-fire way of having a great experience later today when that camera snaps and my image is forever (well, at least for 4 years) applied to my identification.

Here are a few things I found from my search:

~Blot!!! Everyone, no matter how wonderful their skin is, looks like a grease bomb exploded on their face. Right before getting your picture taken blot your face and apply a little pressed powder.
~Whiten your teeth (a little late since I'm going in two hours!!! But fortunately I have to say I have really great teeth....one thing I don't have to stress about...unless I have something green stuck in between my teeth....so I guess you should always brush your teeth right before having your picture taken.)
~Wash your hair. Ah, duh. Really? But the article did go on to say you should style your hair with body so it doesn't come across limp. I have curlers in my hair right now hoping to add a bit of oomph to my locks.
~One article said to apply your makeup heavier than you normally would so you don't look washed out. Another article said to apply your makeup with a light hand so you don't look like a clown with too much blush or a mug shot with too much eye liner. I'm going with the second article on this one. I remember reading a Bobbi Brown book years ago that said you should not wear eyeliner and should not wear blush when taking your license picture.
~Think about what you're going to wear. First off, if you go in your sweats you'll probably feel slouchy and not too attractive. If you go wearing something nice you'll exude a bit of confidence. Think about flattering neck lines. A collared shirt is a good idea.
~And the one thing everyone can agree on....tilt your chin up! Please, no double chins or jowls!

So, I guess I am as prepared as I'll ever be. Wish me luck and maybe, just maybe, if my picture turns out okay I'll scan it in and post it!

post signature

5 tweets and twitters:

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Good luck!

Wow! You've given this a lot of thought. Maybe my photos would look better if I actually thought about what I should wear beforehand!

Pedaling said...

thanks for the info- I'm going to remember this when my time for renewal comes. I'm sure your picture turned out great!

Marci @All Things Wonderful said...

You are so cute! That's a great post. :)

Melanee said...

Oh you crack me up! You have everything my mother claims is beauty. Great hair, and gorgeous skin and teeth.

I rarely take a good picture in regular life, and my husband actually agrees with me. Even so, I always seem to look great in my DL photo. I don't know why. I think it's because I don't have any expectations of it turning out well.

Anyway, I'm sure you will look amazing.

Love you, my dear, almost-a-year-older sister-in-law.

Jan T. said...

I coulda used these words of wisdom last week....I got the chin down/double chin and jowl look!:( Not a good look for me!:) Hope you did better!:)