The other day while I was working on a project The Story of Us came on the telly. A line from Bruce Willis' character struck a chord with me. To paraphrase he said, "As long as our feet found each other after going to bed at night I knew everything would be alright."
I burst out laughing (even though it really wasn't funny) because that is exactly how DK and I go to sleep! Let me back up a bit....
Before I was married I would envision myself fading off to dreamland each night in the arms of my one true love and enjoying a wondrous night's sleep. So, the first night DK and I slept together I was horridly disappointed! It was the most uncomfortable thing! There was no way I could sleep this way! I quickly learned that I am not the type of person who can cuddle and spoon their way through the night. I am the type of person who needs to fall asleep on their tummy with arms tucked under her pillow and not be bothered by anyone. Hmmm, romantic, yes?
Fast forward to children. I never planned on co-sleeping with my offspring but THEY had other plans. Both Kenners and JK had no interest in sleeping anywhere than in our bed, by my side for the first 2-5 years of their lives and because DK and I both have "Sucker" written on our foreheads we let them. Well, for sure there was no snuggling going on with babies in the way BUT our footsies always found each other and off to dreamland we would go.
Now, come back to the present. Last night (drum roll, please) JK, our going on 3 year old) slept in his own bed for the ENTIRE night! Maybe it's time to try that cuddling/spooning thing again!





29 tweets and twitters:
If that isn't just the cutest story! Bless you and your husband's hearts for having your children sleep with you for that amount of time. I don't think I could pull that off myself. I like my own space when I'm sleeping. We've always let the girls snuggle with us before they go off to their own rooms. In fact, Abby still piles in bed with us on Friday nights to watch TV for awhile. Brittany will often stretch out on the floor to be with everybody.
It's funny you mentioned the whole footsie thing. Chris and I roll over to go to sleep, but our feet are always touching.
Loved this, Rae!!
I can understand wanting your own space to sleep. I'm the same way. Something about the jerks that happen as hubs falls asleep that wakes me up and then I can't fall asleep again.
Ha!! That's so funny and I totally understand. Try spooning with your husband snoring your ear. Not happening. I have to sleep on my side with one ear covered. And our kids slept with us for a long time too. Now Little Ann is only allowed to sleep with me when daddy is gone to work. That's about every other night or so.
LOL! We're much the same way. I like my feet touching John's, but other than that, I need my space to fall asleep!
Yep, I totally need my sleeping space. My hubby screams when my feet touch him. Of course they are ice cold so I understand but someone has to warm them.
How fun that JK is sleeping in his own bed now. Not sure if I would take up cuddling but a little romance may be in order. :-)
Such a great story . . . and true for so many couples!!!!!!!!
I am still shocked that JK is three!!! Where do the years go??
We are enjoying our time in NZ, but each night as we go to bed, we have been commenting about the things we miss from CT . . . which is almost EVERYTHING!!!! It is tough to adjust to life outside of the U.S.! I certainly have a greater dose of patriotism now.
Thanks again for being great neighbors! We were reminded of the 'garage door' incident a few days back when we were signing-up for car insurance here- ;)
Tell the girls "hello" for us!!!!!! We miss seeing them!!!
This was too cute. My DH and I do the same thing...I am on my side and he is on his side, with his back to me. But we always put our feet to the center and touch until I can't take his foot jerkings any more...and then I move them!
Cute line from the movie! Thanks!
Oh, and the sharing the bed with the kids... my youngest was 5 before he stopped sleepying in our bed! But I knew it was our last one, so I let it go on for longer. Now my grand kids want to lay with Nana in Nana's bed(well papa's bed too, but he's not a snuggler like nana is!)! I love it!
You let him sleep there as long as you want momma! I'm not going to tell you to stop! Just find the feet!
Too cute ;) I can't snuggle sleep either - the man makes fun of me because I sleep in a little ball... when we watch TV on the couch he says I make myself a "cat bed" because I prop ALL the couch pillows up and have three blankets and then I toss and turn and wiggle into a comfy ball like a cat :) I usually warm my ice cold toes under his when we sleep though too - I bet he loves it ;)
What a fun story and great memory! Too funny cause just last night for some reason, my husbands foot found mine right before we both fell asleep too!
What a cute story. I am an untouchable sleeper. I like my space. I sleep on my stomach too so it's kind of hard to snuggle.
This is totally me and my husband, minus the kids in bed part. I always envisioned sleeping all curled up on my future husband's chest and sleeping that way all night... doesn't work. Sometimes we even lay in bed and say, "How to couples on TV and in the movies sleep like this?" Then we roll over to our respective sides of the bed to go to sleep. We keep our toes touching for a bit, but neither of us can actually fall asleep if our toes are touch either, so we then separate our toes and begin to snooze. So funny.
I completely understand I am no cuddler either!
I prefer a King-size bed...I love my husband, but give me space when I sleep...I couldn't take my kids in my bed-I would never be able to sleep!
When I first saw that movie, I laughed too because that is exactly how Jamie and I go to sleep at night. I like to cuddle for a few minutes but then we both roll over with our backs to one another but our feet find each other! Too funny!
love it! thanks for telling the truth about parenthood AND letting me know that we're not the only parents out there that have "guests" in there bed. congrats on the full night of roominess {is that even a word?}. one of these days Savanna will do that too...i'm praying she does anyway :)
Actually my 7 year old is sleeping with me tonight. Whenever my husband is away, she takes his side of the bed. Mentioning feet, I don't like looking at my husbands feet but I do like to feel them next to mine!
We did the family bed thing when the kids were little. It is a happy day when they move into their own bed.
That's funny that you've posted about this, just last night I had to put my cold tootsies between daddy's feet to get warmed up.
It's the little things that matter.
Yeay! And I could so relate to this post. I have to have my feet touching my hubby. We never really had any of the Things sleep with us though. :) Ang
I am with you! Sometimes you are just too tired to walk them back to their room at 3 am...so just let them in.
-sandy toes
Thankfully Cade has never wanted to sleep in our bed. I can't even get him to take a nap with me.
I hope you enjoy your new alone time.
Congratulations! I don't know how you've put up with both the kids being in and out of your bed. I'm such a light sleeper that when Evie shows up in the middle of the night, it isn't long before I'm showing her to her own room again. Hopefully JK will be happy to have his own bed from now on and then you can too!
I love this Post!!! I believe that we have All been there at least once with our children... now Papa and I are experiencing it with our grandchildren.
When they come to visit they all somehow end up in bed with us from time to time.
Aw how sweet when they snuggle and sleep with Momma though, right? I must admit I missed it when Bryce was finally ready to go into his own bed. It was when he was 4. And Miss Priss snuggled with us until she was about 6 months old but she just sleeps better at night in her own crib. Nap time we can still snuggle sometimes though!
So, now that your kiddos are flying solo at night, have fun getting back into the spooning and snuggling groove with your cutie pie!
Hugs, Les
Sweet story. I like to sleep in socks and my man hates it with a passion~....my feet stay cold
That's great. I can totally relate to that one.
We are footsie people too! Love your post! Love the new look....I have been away....sorry! Darling!
I totally am with you on the no spooning or cuddling through the night. there is a time and place for everything, friend.. after some good lovin, go to your separate corners of the bed please :) but I do remember that line in the movie and i liked it!
Loved this post! What a cute story! We did the cuddling thing for years. Now, we're just footsie people. Great post!
Post a Comment