9.02.2008

Blog Love and a Heart's Prayer

Do you know how many CREATIVE and AWE INSPIRING blogs there are? Oodles upon oodles! That's why I always feel so amazed when I receive a blog award. Leslie at Our Complete Family showered the "I Heart Your Blog" and "Must See Blog" awards upon me today. We just recently found each other and it's been a blast getting to know one another. Leslie is a military wife and as we all know (or should know) she has one of the hardest jobs in the military! Thank you Leslie!


I now have the pleasure of passing these awards on to others....


"Official" Rules (in case anyone would like to read them)
1. The winner(s) can put the logo on her blog.
2. Link to the person you received the award from.
3. Nominate other blogs (up to seven) to pass along the award to.
4. Put links of those blogs on yours.
5. Leave a message on the blogs of people you've nominated.

This afternoon when I was leaving Target an older woman stopped me so she could talk and ooh and ahh over JK. She walked me to my car. She stood there while I unloaded the bags. She was still there when I put JK in his car seat. She just kept talking and talking and talking. Her children are grown and gone. Her husband is in a long-term care facility having suffered his first in a series of strokes at the age of 60. My heart went out to her and how truly lonely she must be. I wanted to bring her home with me.

I do not know what it means to be lonely. I have been so blessed in life that I haven't had a time when I had no one. There are times I long to be ALONE but I shudder at the thought of being LONELY. There are so many in the world who are suffering in their loneliness.

I am reminded of Father Tim in Jan Karon's The Mitford Series. His daily prayer is "Father, make me a blessing to someone today, through Christ our Lord, Amen."

That is my heart's desire as well. May I be a blessing to those  I meet while out and about, to my family within my home or somehow to you, my blog readers.

17 tweets and twitters:

...for all eternity said...

I think she just may have gotten in your car if you would have offered! Joking aside, I agree with you about seeking alone time but don't want to be lonely! Such a good thought and very well put! And...THANK YOU SO MUCH for the great awards! I'm honored!

Traci said...

It is hard to see old people be lonely. I used to work for eye dr's and the old people would make an appointment basically to just come in and have someone to talk to.
I too adore reading your blog and insights!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! YOu totally deserve those!!!!

Lipstick said...

congrats on your awards! You're awesome and I think you were so gracious to the Target lady!

diane said...

That was so sweet of you to acknowledge that woman. I'm sure you made her day.

Nancy said...

Thanks so passing the awards along... I feel so special. You are sweet.

nanamoo said...

And you are! :)

Elise said...

What a good reminder to remember everyone has feelings. That the older person should not be just shaken off because we are too busy to care. I feel we are sowing seeds daily, hopefully the right ones.
Elise

Jenni said...

I know what you mean about sometimes wanting to be alone, but not lonely.
There is a big difference between the two...The older woman probably sensed in you someone who would be kind enough to listen.

On a different note, congrats on the awards! I'm visiting yours for the first time! I love your blog, and can't wait to read more! :)

Rachel Berry said...

Congrats on the award! I have gotten 2 awards and shhhh...... don't tell anyone but I didn't say anything about them on my blog. I KNOW I'M TERRIBLE!! What is wrong with me(don't answer that)? I think I have a hard time with compliments... No, there's no thinking about it. I KNOW I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH COMPLIMENTS!

Oh, I can't wait to see your finish project with the branch's... I went to the Tree store today to find me some cute black halloween birds but they still haven't got their stuff out. So I have to wait.... I'm dying to do some sort of branch bird thing....

:)Rachel

Ps. Your kids- HOW CUTE ARE THEY! Your one lucky mom!

The Berry's Patch said...

Hi Rae!

Sometimes I think we get so busy that we don't take the time to stop and acknowledge people. You are so sweet to stop and talk to this lady. YOU are such an inspiration to all of us! I'm feeling guilty now for not talking to this man at the car wash today. I was juggling 3 little boys (mine and a neighbors)and he wanted to talk. Sadly I kept it short. :-(

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

She must have been so lonely. Sometimes I worry about what it will be like to be elderly--and especially what it will feel like potentially to be seperated from my husband by either death or by ill health. I can't imagine living apart from him!

~ Sarah

Merand said...

Thanks Rae! You've made my day...And you should always remember what a blessing you are to others with your sunny disposition and great ideas for life more fun. Thanks for being such a great friend all these years!

Tausha said...

I'm with you-I want to be alone, but not lonely.
I so appreciate the thought-I love it so much-i think I will make something and put that on it-love the way it gave me chills. thanks for making my day a little bit better! You rock my dear!

Shannon said...

Congrats on your awards!

That little lady sounded so sweet!

I have GOT to read the Mitford Series. I hear about it everywhere!

RoverHaus said...

You took the time to talk to the lady at Target, you ARE being a blessing to someone today. (including me).

Rachelle Vernon Jones said...

so sweet of you to realize that she needed you. i hope when i'm old and lonely i find a target friend like you!
thx for the awards! so cute. i just noticed the i heart your blog on someone else's and was thinking, 'that sure is a cute award!"
fun! muchas gracias!