4.26.2008

Because I Can't Keep My Big Mouth Shut

Remember last week how I couldn't help myself and spoke my mind at the girl's school's PTO meeting? Well, I took a step further and wrote a letter to the editor. My first time ever. Here it is for anyone even remotely interested.

But first, what type of security measures have been implemented into your children's schools?

Make Schools Safe by Rae....the big mouth!
(this is how I look during allergy season....SCARY!!)
To the Editor:
This year alone there have been five separate school shootings in our country. These horrific acts of violence have resulted in the death of 11 students as well as countless other in juries including physical and emotional. This is only mid-April! As a parent, I must take a stand and ask that all others within the town of [deleted] please join me.
My children attend the [deleted] Elementary School. At the most recent PTO meeting, Principal [name deleted]  presented a proposed security plan for our school. He has respectfully submitted the amount of $45,240 to the Board of Education for consideration. This amount will provide not only the installation of a keyless entry system and a way to “buzz” in visitors through locked doors but it would also provide funding for alterations to the front hallway that would allow a current staff member a working space and the ability to monitor visitors who come into the school.
The other schools within [deleted] have asked for similar funding for their own security needs: High School: $71,860; Middle School: $70,240 (this figure in cludes reconstruction to provide greater safety to the office entrance); Elementary #1: $45,240; Elementary #2: $30,160; Elementary #3: $45,240.
The total amount for all five schools is $262,740. I’m sorry, but in my personal opinion, this is not an exorbitant amount of money.
Our town has an opportunity to take advantage of two State grants that will help pay for the costs listed above. There is a catch. The town must match the state funds in order to qualify and be eligible to receive the funding. What a sad state of affairs if we as parents and fellow citizens decide to waste this opportunity.
Have you heard of Paradise, Pa.? Yes, unfortunately you have. This is where the Amish school shooting occurred back in October, 2006. Had you heard of this small town before that time? I would dare say the answer would be no. I do not want our town to be “put on the map” because we delayed in getting our priorities in order and did not protect our children in the manner they deserve. They deserve to be safe while they are learning and preparing themselves for the future! They deserve to know that when they leave their homes in the morning they will not have to face the possibility of a violent person entering their schools and injuring and/or killing their fellow classmates, friends and teachers. We cannot allow ourselves the luxury of thinking, “Not here! That would never happen in [deleted]!” We must act in a way that we can confidently say, “Not here! That cannot happen in [deleted] because we as a community took the necessary steps to insure the safety of our children!”
My oldest daughter is in third grade. Since she started her education at [deleted], I have been very concerned about the lack of security in the building. I doubt I am the only parent who feels this way. I am sad to say that I have not spoken up and voiced my concerns sooner. I have waited for another parent to take the initiative and then follow suit. No longer! I ask that you as parents and the citizens of [deleted] who value the children in our community to please join me at the polls on [date deleted]. The appropriate funding needs to be available so we can move forward with this most important priority. Please remember to take a moment out of your day to vote on [date deleted]! It may be the most important thing you do that day.

3 tweets and twitters:

Anonymous said...

We do have a security system and the only way into the building is by the office so the office ladies can see who comes and goes (and who doesn't sign in). ALL visitors are required to sign in and out and wear a tag so people know that they have signed in. That is just the elementary school I don't know about the middle school or high school. And most of the people that have done the school shootings have been students so that didn't raise any red flags until it was too late - which is the most scary. And you are right it can happen anywhere, I think the media makes it worse by spreading it everywhere and then some wacko's want to be famous and try something stupid. Sad and heartbreaking!!

PN

Erica said...

Good for you! Well put. Our school does not have ANY security at all. They have a policy that you have to sign in at the office BUT, it would be very easy to walk right past w/o being noticed. No good.

Traci said...

You go girl! Great letter! We have push a button and wait for a secretary to answer and buzz you into the school. They have a tv monitor to see you outside, then you have to come in and sign in and out. Although the office is like 2 huge hallways away from the door, so not much help that it isn't right where you walk into. But nice to know you have to buzzed in.
I hope the Board of Ed helps out!
Good Luck!