Rand's class is currently researching the Titanic. Each person in the class has to learn about someone who was on board the ship and then make a speech as if they were that person. Rand chose Dorothy Gibson, an actress and model in the early 1900's. She survived that fatal night and went on to star in Saved from the Titanic. She played herself and even wore the same clothes she was wearing the night the Titanic sank. When Dorothy retired from acting she was the highest paid actress in the industry. She was also featured on the covers of best-selling magazines such as Cosmopolitan, Ladies Home Journal, and the Saturday Evening Post. Wowzers!
Of course not everything was glitz and glam in Miss Gibson's life. She hit and killed a pedestrian while driving her lover's car. He was a married man. The news leaked out during her court trial and her lover's wife divorced him. Miss Gibson and he were married but after two years their marriage was dissolved. Dorothy never remarried.
She died of a heart attack in her apartment in France at the age of 56. Her estate was divided between her current lover and her mother.
I must admit to you, I would not trade my boring hum-drum life with Dorothy Gibson. Not even for a moment!! To be on the cover of Cosmo and to be the highest paid actress and to survive the Titanic...well, those are some amazing things. But chasing after my naked, wet from the tub baby as he squeals running down the hall or having my daughter read me one of her original stories and marveling in her creativity or being told how much I am loved and what a great mother I am. Now THAT is really living. THAT is truly amazing.




1 tweets and twitters:
Great info! I love learning new things about something we already know so much about. I agree with you that I would not want to be Miss Gibson. Everyone thinks that money and fame will make their life great but think of how many famous people then live lives of total chaos and misery. I'd rather be poor and unknown but happy, thank you!
Post a Comment