"Please spell the word, metacognition."
"Meta-ca-what-a?"
"Metacognition. It's a COLLEGE word, Mom. I'm learning how to spell college words."
"What grade are you in again?" I ask.
"First," as in Duh, Mom...don't you know anything?
My Kenners is in LOVE with SPELLING. Not that I can blame her. She gets that from me. I was always an amazing speller. If you need help spelling a word, ask Rae. She'll know how to spell it. What can I say, it's one of my talents.
But metacognition? I don't even know what it means! So I ask my first grader, "Kenners, do you know what that word means?"
"Yeah...it means thinking about your thinking."
And guess what, folks? She's RIGHT! It's definition is, "awareness and understanding of one's own thought processes". Hmmm, she's definitely given ME something to think about!




7 tweets and twitters:
Your kids are already little geniuses, so it's logical to say that the apple certainly doesn't fall far from the tree at the Evans' household!!! Hopefully Dave is saving his pennies for Yale or Harvard . . . they are all Ivy League bound!!!
I've never heard that word before!
I love it when the little kids make me feel dumb. Sadly, it happens more and more often. Sigh.
No Child Left Behind has required teachers to fast forward education in this country :-( Good for her!
Man, I just learned that word like a week ago.
xD
OK I feel dumb. It took me twice to even read the word right, but I still had no idea what it meant.
WOW!!!
Post a Comment